• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 1 ☢ ☢ ☢ (FINISHED!)

Started by Gaignun, May 01, 2012, 03:48:46 am

Fantactic1316

W00T!

Good game though. Lot of good Charms in round 1. Can't believe Echo used the Blast Gun to break Charm on the other high Faith unit, but I suppose that's better than if Sierra had started using good/best compat Holy on Victor and Alpha. Then Alpha loses his armor in round 2. Craziness. All the Raise 2 really had me worried for a bit, but good luck that it missed. That was really exciting to watch.
"D'you know in 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important before."
-The Doctor-

Barren

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

dacheat

That second match was great. Back and forth for about four or five minutes before Dinosaur got taken down in a decisive 30 seconds.

Dynablade

I didn't really get it, why did the white mages BOTH have Iron Boots. Not being able to move wasn't terrible, but when your only method of revival past 10HP can't get to you..

Reks

• Discord username: Reks#0128

The Damned

(Our/my match is next? That's my cue for me to disappear for a week then.)

Good luck to you as well, Reks. Not that you should need it. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to kick my ass handily. I can only "hope" it doesn't take too long since despite my lack of AoE and healing, I have this sinking feeling that ours will be the first match to run past 20 minutes.

As such, advanced and special thanks to Wiz or Barren or whoever has to suffer through recording that match.

Not much to say about this that I didn't already on Youtube, really. Thus far, Charm isn't being as decisive a status in this tournament as I'm used to it being. I wonder if that will change down the line.

Not to knock dinosaur or anything, but I'm far more surprised that he lasted that long or that Death hit that many times than that his team lost. It seemed pretty obvious from the beginning that the Iron Boots were going to end up screwing him over. Hell, I didn't even realize until it happened that neither Priest blocked Silence (or Berserk), which also spelled doom both times even though the Chemist and both Priests had means to cure Silence; for the record, I'm pretty sure Silence wouldn't have done anything to the Bard's ability to use Dia (or even use Sing) if he had lived another round, Barren.

Not being able to move meant that even with the blundering into range the AI did (read: had to do) and Holy (and Dia and the gun's) range, the Priests were automatically cut off from the almost mage-standard Move-MP Up Movement. They were thus dependent on the singular Chemist (since it's not like the Bard had Angel Song) to re-supply them with Hi-Ethers, which never happened for a couple of reasons.

Ironically, due to all the Counter Magic from Shadowstrike's Scholar, dinosaur might have been able to win (or at least hold out even longer) if at least one of his Priests and/or his Bard absorbed Holy. That and had Carbunkle (or something beyond the iffiness of MP Restore) to restore MP in case the Chemist had other things to do. Oh well. We'll see if that becomes an issue in the Loser's Bracket.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

dinosaur

My team is meant to be super tanks and I am weak against status. The first battle I had to end up with a person who relies heavily on status procs. I think would I have good chance with a more offensive team.

Anyways, The Damned and DaCheat say that iron boots were a bad choice because the moveable units will be out of range of my preist. However, in the battle my units were always in the preist range for any spell. And if my moveable units do die, they have reraise to allow them to move back to my preist range anyways. I am not concern about iron boots, more so status effects. TO THE NEXT BATTLE! [/spoiler=dinosaur vs. Shadowstrick]

Wiz

Matches 8-11 will be uploaded in about an hour after I #11 get done rendering in Camtasia.

I'll give a thorough account of what I think of matches 1-7 in the next post along with my vids so yeah. I'll probably address some of the comments that mentioned me since I guess I'm that popular too.

Edit: Internet's being dumb and refuses to upload any vids, so I'll try it again in 9 hours or so.

Eternal

Huzzah! I was afraid you wouldn't be able to finish your matches, since you mentioned being busy with work before. Glad to see that's not the case.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Wiz

FFT Arena Season One A.I. Tournament Match 8 The Damned vs Reks

FFT Arena Season One A.I. Tournament Match 9 Havermayer vs iamBQB

FFT Arena Season One A.I. Tournament Match 10 Vigilanti vs Avalanche

FFT Arena Season One A.I. Tournament Match 11 Kagebunji vs the frisky dingo

I'll update this post with the other matches as they upload.

In the meantime, I may as well make comments on the vids + a couple of the things that addressed me.

I was surprised how long Taichii stood out before the berserk procs messed him up horribly

The speed gear although is a nice bonus, it backfired in that mucus's units moved immediately afterwards and punished st4r's team with Frog Procs from Bio 2.

Karma's a bitch. It sucks that the Faith Rod backfired for ET

Status rape from LightningHax all the way especially all those charms hitting in R1.

Not a lot of offensive power on Dome's end, which is what ultimately did him in. The heal to the undead via Blood Sword although is unique, it's not that great.

Not really that interesting of a match to me. Low damage output from both teams and both have odd setups. Knights with crossbows, Priests with Guns + Stigma Magic, ugh... Oh well, looks like I'm clinching my match most definitely.

Right, lots of death procs + stupid priests with Iron Boots. Although it's most effective to have those on small maps, medium and large maps screw dino's team over big time. Even then, he still lost in R1 due to the priests only targeting single panel holy's + the lack of MP restoration.

Quote from: The Damned on May 01, 2012, 07:24:27 pm
Oh well. Now fully realizing what Wiz's team intends to do makes me masochistically and sadistically want to see how it and Y U SO DERP fare against each other despite all my joking about how the latter team shouldn't be allowed in the tournament earlier.

Well, if you want me to spoil the results for you...

The Speedsters Reincarnated wins. Mediators Berserk the entire team disabling Move-HP UP as well as Slow Dance Spamming. Thieves also gain speed at a faster rate then they'll lose it since self-quickening's are 100% accuracy vs the 25% Slow Dance. They're also immune to death sentence via the Angel Ring, which I put on there more for the immunity to blind from Kagesougi Spammers. Getting hit with it would reduce their shots from 100% to 50%, something I'd never want to deal with especially if I have to anti-sandbag and kill recently resurrected units.

Quote from: FFMasterEdited the 3rd post with all the video links.

Why? The OP already hast them. Seems pretty pointless.

Avalanche

RNG luck in the first Round and an advantage on larger maps made it look pretty devastating for Vigilanties team. Still i think his team is much stronger than it looked. So Good Luck in the looser bracket.

dacheat

Pardon my French, but what the fuck is going on at the beginning of this video?

Leif1991

Quote from: dacheat on May 06, 2012, 01:52:49 pm

My reaction as well.
Season 3 A.I. Tournament Champion

Zareb

Something that's displeasing everybody, apparently.
Now your blood travels through the veins of our history
It bursts forth in boiling black clouds from the wrists of kings

Wiz

Quote from: Leif1991 on May 06, 2012, 02:00:01 pm
My reaction as well.
Quote from: Zareb on May 06, 2012, 02:14:30 pm
Something that's displeasing everybody, apparently.

:(

dacheat

Now my match isn't the shortest anymore. :(

Zareb

Quote from: Wiz on May 06, 2012, 02:18:05 pm

:(

I don't mind what you did; in fact, it gives the video your own personal, little touch, alongside the music choices and commentary.  Everybody needs to relax.
Now your blood travels through the veins of our history
It bursts forth in boiling black clouds from the wrists of kings

Dome

I don't get the blue-haired lady part, but I liked the video anyway

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

dacheat

It wasn't so much anger as it was surprise. Here I am waiting to watch a bloodbath, and a creepy blue-haired chick pops up and starts serenading me about cats.

Wut.