• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:02:56 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Official Sprite Contest: Heroes From Other Worlds

Started by Celdia, September 22, 2012, 11:53:54 am

Celdia

September 22, 2012, 11:53:54 am Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:34:41 pm by Celdia
Heroes From Other Worlds

It's time for the Annual FFH Halloween Spriting Contest! I'm starting this a bit earlier than it was last year in hopes of getting more entries this time around. Last year our theme was "Decade of the Zombie" and we certainly got some creative entries. This year I thought we might keep the theme a little closer to the holiday itself and make it a broader scope as well. So the theme this time will be "Heroes From Other Worlds" where the goal is to make a character sprite of a hero or heroine from another game world or one of your favorite Ivalician dressed up like someone from another game! We already have some great custom sprites out there of characters from outside of Ivalice - the roster of which is going to expand with the work being done on Journey of the Five - but maybe there's some game franchise you think is terribly under-represented? Or maybe you'd like to show how your favorite FFT characters would look like dressed up for Halloween? Now is the time to step up and get your favorite heroes thrown into the mix!

As always, this is a beginner's level spriting competition. If you've never done a sprite before we'd still love to see what you can do! The competition is open to EVERYONE and you may make as many or as few submissions as you like. You may also continue to update your submissions to the very end of the due date. Feel free to give feedback on entries as they get posted to help people make the best sprite they can. Also, if someone else is doing a character you yourself would like to do, don't hesitate to post your own version!

Submissions are due by 11:59pm EST on Friday the 26th of October. Once the submissions are closed, all entries will be organized and a public voting poll will be opened for every community member to cast a vote. The poll will be closed on Halloween, the 31st of October so the winner can be announced that evening. The poll will be blinded and all users are allowed one vote, so please respect the voting process.

Since I'm proposing the contest theme this year I'll put myself out there for providing actual prizes for the top three winners. As always, you can expect at minimum some kind of permanent recognition for your accomplishments. However, flaunting the trend of previous competitions, I will personally make perler bead prizes for the winners. I haven't decided exactly what but that may depend on the entries themselves. If I can, I'll try to actually make the winning entries into perler bead figures. For those unfamiliar with perler beads, go have a look over here. (Acceptance of perler rewards will require providing an address to ship the prize to. Keep that in mind when entering if you want to be eligible for a prize.)

Submission Requirements:
1) A minimum of 1 front diagonal frame.
2) A name for your entry. This can just be the actual character name you're making.
3) Provide a spoiler'd image or link to a piece of art of the character you're submitting.
4) Please use a sprite from FFT or a Custom Sprite as the base for your submission. You can also make a wholly original piece of course, but try to keep it in the style of FFT. Submissions using sprites obviously taken from other games as a base will not be considered valid entries. Also, please credit "SQUARE" for anything based on FFT sprites and make appropriate credits when using Custom Sprites from our collection.
5) 100% Zoom in either BMP or PNG format.
6) Post your submission in this thread and it will be officially entered.
7) Loosely follow the general FFT style such as dimensions and palette choice. However, submissions are NOT limited to 16 colors.
8) Submissions need to loosely follow the general competition topic.
9) Follow general forum rules, such as no nudity.
10) There is NO limit on the number of entries per member as long as they are significantly distinct.
11) If there are multiple valid versions of the same submission posted in the thread, the latest version will be considered the competition version.
12) Characters that a Custom Sprite already exists for will not be accepted as valid entries. Click here to see what custom sprites already exist.

Judging Criteria:
1) Personal Preference: Vote for your favorite character that gets submitted! The old 'Creativity' criteria doesn't really fit when the goal is to replicate something. :P
2) Artistic Ability: The more like the original character/costume, the better. However, make sure to balance this with the visual quality of the sprite. General pixel art ability, design, and palette choice are important here.
3) Valid Submission: There are clear expectations for submission, please try your best to follow them.

Important Dates:
Opening of Competition: 9/22
Submissions Due: 11:59pm EST 10/26
Voting Begins: 10/27
Winners Announced: 10/31 Halloween

A tiny thank you to Cheetah because I poached his post from last Halloween when making this one.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Kagebunji

Hah, awesome. You can count on me to do some stuff. My favorite TV series starts on October, so I will get creative :P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Celdia

Excellent, Kage. Looking forward to what you can come up with. :)

Alright, since I started this I may as well get it rolling. Work time on this one was about 45 minutes and I'm awful at this stuff. Imagine what all of you could do with a little time and effort! ^_^

Entry Name: Philia Felice and Clemente
Sources: SQUARE - Ovelia, Female Priest
Character Art: Image 1, Image 2

For those unfamiliar with the character, this is Philia Felice from Tales of Destiny, armed with her Swordian, Clemente. She was always one of my favorite character designs from the entire "Tales of..." series of games.

Looking forward to seeing those entries, people! And remember, there are REAL PRIZES on the line this time!
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Angel

I never finished her, but since I've had quite a number of requests to see what I have, I'm using this as an opportunity to do so. I was planning to finish her specifically for this contest, but I was struck with inspiration for something completely different. So, without further ado...

Etna.

Still pains me to look at, but maybe I'll give her more attention some year.

And if you really need to see original character art:

And now to work on other things.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Jumza

September 22, 2012, 11:54:59 pm #4 Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:46:17 am by Jumza
Sweet!  :D Made it back in time for this contest!
Alright lets get this submission underway.

Name: Colette Brunel
Sources: SQUARE: Female Ninja, Female Oracle, Female summoner.
Art:
EDIT: My sprite is the right size right?
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

September 23, 2012, 02:29:48 am #5 Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:03:00 pm by Toshiko
And now for what I've been working on.

Morrigan Aensland.

If you have no idea who she is, shame on you. But here's a link for you, anyway.

Thinking about doing a sprite of her street clothes version tomorrow. Er, today, since it's now 6am. =_=

EDIT:
Re-submitted with updated portrait. New portrait is not totally freehanded like the old one. Used vanilla female Chemist as a reference to get the hair right. So add my shout to Square for that.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Vanya

Nice. I was wondering just the other day if there would be another Halloween spriting compo this year. Glad to see this tradition going strong. Brings back some nice memories. :)
¯\(°_0)/¯

3lric

Quote from: Toshiko on September 23, 2012, 02:29:48 am
And now for what I've been working on.

Morrigan Aensland.

If you have no idea who she is, shame on you. But here's a link for you, anyway.

Thinking about doing a sprite of her street clothes version tomorrow. Er, today, since it's now 6am. =_=

EDIT:
Re-submitted with updated portrait. New portrait is not totally freehanded like the old one. Used vanilla female Chemist as a reference to get the hair right. So add my shout to Square for that.

Freakin Awesome!, I hope this gets finished sometime.

Angel

September 24, 2012, 03:54:44 am #8 Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:11:12 pm by Toshiko
Hee, thanks. I may actually do so, just for the sake of practice. Which is to say, I will probably have to relent and convert all of my monster sprite characters to human in my little project.

I made a final revision to the Morrigan portrait, which I'll update once I'm finished with the street clothes portrait. I'm going a bit cross-eyed at Photoshop right now, though. =_=

Edit: Updated Morrigan's portrait in my last post. I 'finished' the street clothes portrait, but it's so crap that I'm not going to post it here.

The Shady Nerd

I'm gonna see if my skill is up for this.  Gonna try for Laharl (and thought that even before I saw Toshiko's amazing Etna), so hopefully that goes well.  Looking forward to finally participating in site things!   :)
Ramza: I need more strength to beat Wiegraf!
Laharl: Here, use this.
Ramza: ...that's a horse wiener.

theultrawolf

September 27, 2012, 08:18:53 pm #10 Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:32:38 pm by theultrawolf
Denim Powell/Denam Pavel.
The hero of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I used different elements from different sprites, including the old man at Alma's Funeral, Chp. 1 Ramza, the Male Archer, and Algus. This rendition is based off of his first sprite, which is a light blue/green colour as opposed to his later outfit which has more of an off-white base, as pictured below. (EDIT: The first picture was too small.  :shock: )
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

jimmyjw88

September 27, 2012, 11:29:06 pm #11 Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:19:37 am by jimmyjw88
Hair need some work, his right arm need some shading fix, and is he armored? Because Archer's arm guard isn't really working if he isn't. Not sure what's going on with his legs.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Alaris

Ah, I used to play Tales of Symphonia, and I love the Colette.  Given that it's just a contest, I doubt it'll be finished out, but I'd love to see it finished out fully. 

Episode 42 is out! Click above to watch!

theultrawolf

September 28, 2012, 03:58:16 am #13 Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:11:14 am by theultrawolf
Yeah, I intended for him to be armored, but I'll work on the right arm and legs so it blends more, I was more focused on just trying to replicate his LUCT sprite that it may not look all too well in the FFT format. Speaking of the legs, I always thought his outfit was a little like a jumpsuit, with the legs extending into the boots themselves, but that could just be me. :o

(EDIT: I worked a bit more to make it look truer to the sprite, maybe this one looks better. I know it's a nono to try to do custom for the most part, but I had to try, because the archer arms unfortunately are the only ones that are beefy enough to match his sprite from LUCT. I used Ramza Chp 2-3's sprite as a template for them though, I tried to make them look more similar to his.)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Taichii

September 28, 2012, 04:51:08 am #14 Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:51:01 am by Taichii
got a lot of time in my hands now so.. yeah XD
i'm joining :D

here is the heroine of Crystal Conquest from SQUARE ENIX.

i dont know her name though haha and here's my entry :)

SOURCES :
base sprite : itsy bitsy by atma
helmet : lenneth valkyrie by kage and smash
left leg  : crusaider by izurudoo and lijj
feather on helmet : chocobo feathers by square XD
I did custom work on the arms and with coloring to match the heroine of crystal conquest :)
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

jimmyjw88

But the picture that you based off seems like he isn't armored. Looks like clothing.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Twinees

Don't be too harsh with the critiquing guys, the Halloween event was always supposed to be a fun thing to do, and if any designs lead onto a better sprite, that will be when critiques may be needed :P.

I hope this halloween event gets lots of people involved in the community activity, even if you don't think you are good at pixelling, we would all like to see a big turn out of entries anyway.

Also, Taichii, you are improving, well done.

Jon

Kain (Final Fantasy IV)

Original sprite in case you don't know who Kain is:
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Reks

Quote from: jimmyjw88 on September 28, 2012, 05:47:49 am
But the picture that you based off seems like he isn't armored. Looks like clothing.

Denam looks more like this:
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Choto

K... so I kinda broke the rules. I used the original Rei (Breath of fire 3) sprite as a base for this... resized it... and kinda redrew each section in FFT-style. So if this doesn't count that's fine.. I wanted to submit it anyway for fun ^_^

Note: Big Rei is the original sprite in BoF3, Rei.bmp is my FFT-version.