• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:37:11 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

We need MOAR Monsters

Started by CONMAN, May 29, 2011, 08:33:15 pm

Jon

Actually Elric made a good point that raises a question, where would the armor actually go on a chocobo? Would they like have a helmet and wing armor / leg armor? (Sorry for off topic)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Kagebunji

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

MiKeMiTchi

That concept looks really cool, Kage. Although I'm not really sure about all the colors. Perhaps a wooden helmet would fit better?
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

CONMAN

Putting a little more work into "Phantom Beast" (I had read that "Phantom Beast" was the closest approximation of what the Espers in ff6 should have been translated as, so it seemed like a fitting name.)

I've done some quick heads (still need tinkering), but I am having trouble with the torso and ...uh ...ass.  I thought about putting a tail on there but, I'm not sure it would work very well. Having trouble deciding on armor/clothes.  For a quick and dirty preview: Shrine knight robes, Knight robes, current/original, and Zalbag gear.
  • Modding version: PSX

MiKeMiTchi

August 01, 2012, 04:59:40 am #184 Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:33:54 am by MiKeMiTchi
As Kage pointed out:

Quote from: KageMale Phantom has potential, I like it a lot. Kinda reminds me of a human sized Iron Giant. Perhaps you should mess with the colors, you know. Red on the body contrasts poorly with his gown thing.

Third attempt is the best for me as for now. It might look better if you add more color and contrast to the armor\clothes.

Another monster, posted it here than never.
I was trying to create something out of the Ghost sprite, and I unintentionally came up with a Vampire sprite concept. The far right concept sprite has a ghost mask. By the way, I used Calc's collar, Oracle's lower dress, Cloud's legs, and Mime's upper clothes for most of it:

CONMAN

Thanks for the input :mrgreen:  I really like those vampire clothes. 
QuoteI was trying to create something out of the Ghost sprite, and I unintentionally came up with a Vampire sprite concept. The far right concept sprite has a ghost mask

I think the in-game monsters can be really useful for inspiration/scraps on humanoids.  I have been fairly tempted take the Juravis head and use it for a middle-ages plague doctor.  Those suckers can look awfully creepy :shock:

CONMAN

March 29, 2013, 07:50:36 pm #186 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:11:05 pm by CONMAN
urgg... long time no post!!!

Phantom beast is on the backburner... but I have a couple of sprites to show off:

Mustadio2: started as R999's proto for a redone Balk.  I had been taking it in that direction but stalled because I was bored with it.  I really wanted to make some kind of mecha-mustadio- but my biggest desire had been a jet pack and I gave up....  He seemed a little too kiddish and I liked the idea of making him a better dressed gunner....

Loki: still a work in progress, but c'mon!  I plan to add a cape, but I'm hesitating a little on how I want to do it.  I don't want one that covers shoulder pads- so probably lancer, beowulf or Zalbag cape (hopefully jazzed up a little!).  The horns need some work  .....aaaaannd... he's basically a dart/magneto rip-off, but whatever makes you happy you know. :D

Edit: hmmm.. I think I should have added some long black hair...I'll see if I can do it.  Horns still need work...

CONMAN

yaaa! I "made" my own ports.  I'm having a brief uptick in my spriting desire/energy.  So here is Mustadio2 and "Loki".

Also I asked Cheetah if he minded if I tried to work out the Thief Zero sprite.  I thought I would try to replace the legs w/ ninja legs.  The original sprite had funky shirt flaps hanging down onto the upper legs.  This looked funny and also a pain to clean it up.  A red belt sash seemed to finish up the feel of this sprite so that would cleanly cover the ninja belt.  So what do you guys think?  Ninja legs okay?  I don't think I'll finish the sprite with the originals.

MiKeMiTchi

Glad to see some progress on Cheetah's Thief Zero sprite, CONMAN. ;)

The Mustadio2 sprite looks good. Loki's horn looks odd to me, specifically on the front facing diagonal frames. For Mustadio's port, the collar part's 2 darkest colors need to be less bright to add contrast. Try lowering their Lightness values and it will make a huge difference.

CONMAN

April 01, 2013, 08:33:16 pm #189 Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:13:47 pm by CONMAN
QuoteFor Mustadio's port, the collar part's 2 darkest colors need to be less bright to add contrast.

I felt good about it until you said that ...then took a closer look...and I think you're right.  I'll mess with it relatively soon.

Quote. Loki's horn looks odd to me, specifically on the front facing diagonal frames

I think I know what you mean- I had felt it was off, I already touched it up a little from an earlier post- Here is a closer look so you can see just what's off.
edit- urg... i last worked on this yesterday- and it looks like that shading doesn't transfer well with the angle... I assamue thats what you mean

edit2-updated

CONMAN

spritin' up a storm! 
Update on Thief Zero:

?What do you guys think about the ninja belt? (It needs some touch-ups still)  Or should a red sash get thrown on there?  Neither would be very difficult..

MiKeMiTchi

The ninja belt looks great on him!

Choto

Hey dude, did you ever finish up those vampire sprites? they look pretty sweet. Nice work as of late, lots of these sprites look great!

3lric

This totally needs to be finished, I would love to be able to kill that fucker after all those BS props in vanilla

CONMAN

April 15, 2013, 08:43:14 pm #194 Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:15:45 pm by CONMAN
QuoteThis totally needs to be finished, I would love to be able to kill that fucker after all those BS props in vanilla
-LOL

I promise I'll start on it tomorrow Elric!  I'll probably need some help with the port.

Edit: sprite finished (I think)

Port:.....ya guys this is always trouble for me. this is where i'm sitting right now:

CONMAN

I'm looking for some input on my ongoing struggle to create "Phantom Beast".  This new body feature Ramza(1)'s legs, arms from jon's dark knight,(idk where that originally came from...), widened chest from dart, and a red belt. 

Work is still needed on the heads, and I know I have some arm work ahead of me.  I already pushed out the arms to match the widened chest for forward walking.  The arms on the top half of the sheet are easy to adjust, but I know those on the bottom are harder (This requires both widening of the shoulders while still matching the hands in the right spot to grasp weapons). 

Really, I just think this sprite is just ....bland. My colors are a grey to black spread, reds, and unused gold (I guess that could become something else...

3lric

Well maybe its just me, but I think it's pretty cool lol

Kaedre

Hi Conman!

I always pay attention to this type of sprite. I mean, it has at least an important part made from scratch.  d(º_º)

For now, this strange guy is looking good. But i highly recommend to use all the 16 colors of your palette. Only a few spriters on this forum managed a good result with less than that.

I add a bmp with a suggestion of how to use that unused gold, and also you can see your complete palette.

Keep the good work!

Choto

Only gripe I have is that the head looks a little awkwardly big now. Like its a monster head on a human's body. the head itself looks really cool though :D

Jumza

I love that belt, so awesome. Careful on those diagonal views though, right now the eyes look kind of awkwardly placed.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.