• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:39 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Nojgaard's Sprites

Started by Nojgaard, July 31, 2011, 11:14:34 pm

Nojgaard

July 31, 2011, 11:14:34 pm Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:43:32 am by Nojgaard
Hi all, first of all you guys have been a great inspiration and have added a lot of fun to may old FFT in psx.
This is my first sprite, or maybe frankensprite, i wold like to know you opinions and also it will be a honor if you guys help me to finishing it.

Current Projects:     Coming Soon (or maybe not):

Durbs

Not bad for a newbie. It has a great color scheme. What sprites did you rip it from?
  • Modding version: PSX

GeneralStrife

Welcome to FFH.
First thing, front frame I thought at first his head was cut in half, then I realized that was his beard blending in seamlessly. Looks weird.

Nojgaard

August 01, 2011, 02:21:00 am #3 Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:02:18 pm by Nojgaard
@Durbs
For the portrait i used part of the "Old man" avatar and part of Elmdore avatar too.
For the sprites i used "old man" head (some times Algus), some parts of Elmdore clothing, and mostly male mediator outfit, i love their coats.

@GeneralStrife
Edited a little, how it looks now?

Pierce

I'm no spriter, but what you've got going there looks awesome.
To add the "Show" option, you embed the picture in a spoiler tag.
[ spoiler=Show] Image [ /spoiler]
Ignorance itself is a crime! - Miluda

Cheetah

This is a very good first attempt. As mentioned before you might want to consider using different shades of black for the cloths and hair, just to add some differentiation and not make him so dark. Though the black you have chosen is a good one. The portrait needs a little work in the color department, can you post the portrait at 100?
Current Projects:

Nojgaard

August 01, 2011, 01:54:30 pm #6 Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:00:21 pm by Nojgaard
@Pierce
Thank you very much =D

@Cheetah
Thank you very much too, gived new colors to hair, how it looks now?

Also, here is the portrait at 100%

Cheetah

That is looking a lot better, his eyebrows are still black (it works if that is what you meant to do). Do you want help with the hair color on the portrait?
Current Projects:

Nojgaard

August 01, 2011, 05:24:12 pm #8 Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:29:49 pm by Nojgaard
Yes, i let the eyebronws that way because if i used brown they clould get lost in the face, using blak for eyebrons solves that problem.

About the portrait, yes please, it will thank so much your help.

Lijj

I kinda liked the black hair but good job!  The palettes being separate is better and more universal though.. palette one could be black haired while 2 could be brown. The sprite looks cool. I think the portrait needs more of a head.. it's like he has a small cranium the back of his head is missing some mass like 2 pixels worth of  hair should do.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nojgaard

August 01, 2011, 11:38:13 pm #10 Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:05:19 am by Nojgaard
Remaked the portrait and tried a more natural looking pose, also aded some shadows an colourd here and there, coments and help are welcome.

Did a minior recolour to the hair in the sprites. I like black hair too so i tried to do something in between black and dark brown, tell me pls how it worked =D

RavenOfRazgriz

Pretty good for a first sprite.  My only critique would be that his beard in the sprite seems longer than the one in the portrait, but I don't know how much of that you can actually fix before it just looks weird.

Portrait-wise, the only issue I see right now is that the areas under his collar are a flat black, which looks kind of weird.  Next time you post it, can you post a 200% or 300% portrait as well?  It's easier to see the details and critiquing this I'm typing with my laptop held on its side to look at your blown up sprite sheet.

Nojgaard

August 03, 2011, 03:52:40 am #12 Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:11:30 am by Nojgaard
Did some little changes to the portrait, and today i bring you two portrait options, short and long beared (to match with the beard en the sprites). What do you think ppl, wich one looks best?

Cheetah

Nice work extending the beard. I would recommend shifting the head one pixel to the right, he looks like he is pushing his head forward right now.
Current Projects:

GeneralStrife

Not bad, yeah move the head back just a bit, he looks like he's doing a quagmire right now.

Nojgaard

Moved the head 1 pixel and looks beter now, thank you very much guys.

So far this is what i got:

Kokojo

...This is great. Can I use it?
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Cheetah

There is still something a little funky with the hair color. Funky is a great word btw. The back of his head should have the darkest shades, not those lighter colors. It might be a straight palette swap of the colors wont work well or something.

Also, the head/neck looks better, but you need a couple more pixels of neck. Like the first line of the neck under the ear is too long. The next line of neck to the right of that should be 1 or 2 pixels higher.

This really is turning out to be a great first sprite.
Current Projects:

MagiusRerecros

I do like the sprite, and the portrait, but to me it just looks like one of the sides of his face (on the portrait) is very very, almost unnaturally, straight. Personally, I feel that it could do with a bit more of a curve somewhere down that line, but that's just my opinion.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

GeneralStrife

It's based off of a vanilla portrait. like that though, so it's just a matter of taste. The original uses that.