• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:02:15 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Dune 2000 game editing tools

Started by GeneralStrife, December 11, 2011, 08:43:01 pm

GeneralStrife

http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/23814-release-d2k-toolkit/

Some modding tools to an old school badass RTS. The series that started it all

RandMuadDib

not dissing dune at all... loved the original books and the games (don't know why his son ruined the series...) but weren't the Dune RTSs just basically skins for command and conquer? they were both orginally done by Westwood Studios (R.I.P.) and i'm fairly certain there were a few C&C games before the dune games.

On a more-related note, Great Find!
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

GeneralStrife

Quote from: RandMuadDib on December 24, 2011, 07:47:34 pm
not dissing dune at all... loved the original books and the games (don't know why his son ruined the series...) but weren't the Dune RTSs just basically skins for command and conquer? they were both orginally done by Westwood Studios (R.I.P.) and i'm fairly certain there were a few C&C games before the dune games.

On a more-related note, Great Find!

dune 1 and 2 (pc) and dune: the battle for arrakis (sega version of dune2)  paved the way for RTSs

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Ogre Battle - March Of The Black Queen was one of the first console based RTS games, though it isn't a pure RTS.

Kaijyuu

Populous is the first RTS. It paved the way for everything.

I wasn't aware Dune even has RTSs. I knew it had a decent point and click adventure game though.
  • Modding version: PSX

Paheej

Quote from: Kaijyuu on January 25, 2012, 05:16:28 pm
Populous is the first RTS. It paved the way for everything.

Well not sure that Populus is considered the first "RTS."

Westwood Studios' first RTS was Dune II which is almost universally viewed as the first modern RTS.  All the Command & Conquer and Starcraft/Warcraft games really sprang from many of Dune II's concepts.  In the CnC Modding community (which I participating extensively in from 2000 to 2005) this is generally an accepted fact.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_II

Dune 2000 was fun, but like mentioned earlier simply a reskinned CnC.  Emperor Battle for Dune was an excellent game - it was even Editor's Choice in PC Gamer the month it came out and had reviews in the high 80s/low 90s consistently.  However it sold poorly and never really had a large following.