• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:08:04 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Job and sprite related questions. (back up to 2 of 3 solved)

Started by Kaijyuu, July 19, 2015, 01:01:44 am

Kaijyuu

Update: I'm having a problem with Shishi which is actually preventing me from solving the sprite issue.

Using the "restructure iso" option when opening an iso in Shishi makes the first worker 8 event crash the game. I don't know why. On my pSX emulator it spits out some errors and continues on as normal, but on the PSP it simply sits at "Now Loading" forever.

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems strange that this would go unnoticed if it was shishi's fault, but it crashes every time with an iso that's completely untouched except for shishi.

If I can't fix this I can't use shishi. Period. So, an alternative way to access sprites 80 and above would be nice (in particular I need Serpentarius's sprite to be set through the patcher and not just through the monster setting).
  • Modding version: PSX

3lric

Change the last byte in your iso from 00 to 01

Kaijyuu

Didn't seem to work. pSX 1.13 spits out the same errors, and on the psp it continues to sit at now loading forever.

To confirm I'm doing the right thing:

1) I take a clean, unmodified iso.
2) Open it in Shishi (the one that came with the patcher suite .482).
3) Hit "Yes" to restructure the iso.
4) Close shishi.
5) Open the iso in a hex editor.
6) Change the very last byte from 00 to 01.
7) The iso should be fixed.

3lric

yes it should, if the error is related to worker 8. what else have you done that would affect that scene?

Kaijyuu

Nothing. The only thing that's touched the iso is shishi. No sprites have been changed either; all I did was hit yes when asked about restructuring.

I suppose something could be wacky with my test save? It works fine without the iso restructure though. I'll try a handful of different saves.

I looked further into the changing the final byte fix thing, and notably I'm not using PPF patches at all right now. I'll keep this whole thing in mind when making a patch to distribute, though.

EDIT: Different saves all have the same issue.

Are we certain this isn't just a bug in shishi? Worker 8 is the last sprite on the list (other than the weapon sprites), and it could be a bug related to that. Inaccurate emulators (epsxe and pSX) seem to load the event fine, so people might just not be noticing it normally. Furthermore, CD Mage claims an iso restructured by shishi is corrupted and can only seem to find a few files.

3lric

You need load CDMage as mode 2...

Yes I'm certain because Jot5 has been console tested for the next release.

Kaijyuu

Quote from: Elric on August 15, 2015, 01:25:01 am
You need load CDMage as mode 2...

I'm doing so. It's able to read some of the disk in mode 2; the other modes just don't work.

I obtained another ISO thinking mine might be broken in some subtle way, but nope, same issue.

3lric

Dunno what to tell you other than something is wrong, could be your version of shishi, but i use .482

I've been modding FFT for 4 years. And with what I do I've switched iso/bin/img files many many times and restructured many images. There should be absolutely no issue loading a restructured image in CDMage B5 as long as you load m2/2352 and hit yes for the popup.

Kaijyuu

I ended up avoiding the whole thing by not using shishi and changing sprites around manually. I never wanted to insert new sprite sheets (just wanted to change the numbers around), so this works for me. Marking as solved again.

My best guess is all the ISOs I found were slightly corrupted in such a way that it confused shishi.

Xifanie

How many bytes is your FFT Image?

It should be 552,701,184 bytes. If it isn't, you need to expand it.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kaijyuu

My base iso appears to be 541,315,152 bytes. I got it as an .ecm and that size is after being decompressed into a .bin.

Which tool would be used to expand it?

Xifanie

I meant after Shishi

Before shishi would be 541,312,800 bytes.

And hex editor.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Kaijyuu

Ah, apologies for the misunderstanding.

Post Shishi, the byte count is indeed 552,701,184.

I don't know really anything about the iso's format, but I did notice the end of the file is different post-restructure. In the unmodified iso, there's just a very large number of 00s, but in the restructure there's a lot of random bytes.

If it's relevant, this is the error CDmage gives me. After hitting OK, it only shows me the BATTLE and DUMMY folders and their contents, along with battle.bin; all the other files aren't shown (maybe deliberately? I don't know what exactly the restructure is supposed to do other than rename the sprites in the battle folder).

Also if it's relevant, these are the errors pSX gives me when loading the Worker 8 event.

3lric

Xifanie

Ok, so why haven't you tried downloading yourself a new FFT Image yet?

Also, Elric's idea couldn't have worked, he's misremembering an issue where when making a ppf, you need to set your original ISO's last byte to something else than 00 (after manually expanding it to 552,701,184 bytes long). Otherwise, patching would not expand the FFT Image completely, because the patching program would be all like "hey, both those bytes are 00, so not need to patch anything there, right?". I've never heard of this issue happen outside of improperly made PPFs.

So really, on top of your file index breaking, shouldn't it be a dead giveaway that it's your FFT Image?

Kaijyuu

Quote from: Xifanie on August 18, 2015, 01:48:19 am
Ok, so why haven't you tried downloading yourself a new FFT Image yet?

I have; two different sources. Next I'll probably try ripping an ISO myself.

Also CDmage doesn't spit that error prior to shishi's restructuring.

3lric

Quote from: Kaijyuu on August 18, 2015, 02:28:00 am
Also CDmage doesn't spit that error prior to shishi's restructuring.

Quote from: Elric on August 17, 2015, 11:09:02 pm
That's not an error in CDMage. That's normal after restructure

Nyzer

I can tell you that it took me like four different sources for FFT on the PSX before I could find one that was actually usable so I could patch Jot5 over it. Ultimately, if you have the ability to rip the game yourself, it should always be your go-to option.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown