• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:06:35 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Confusion with Dash/Throw Stone

Started by Ashiel, August 22, 2016, 07:47:43 am

Ashiel

So after a long hiatus (due to unrelated issues), I'm finally back working on my FFT mod with a lot of heavy changes planned, but I've hit a bump in the road and I can't seem to figure out the issue on my own.

I want to create a skill that has 100% knockback that otherwise functions like a normal attack. I applied the ASM hack for 100% knockback/throw stone, and altered some stats on Dash in FFT-P (changed to weapon strike, weapon range, animation to FFFF, made evade-able, made blade-graspable, made the range identical to other weapon range skills, and inconsequentially adjusted JP-cost down to 50):

(If the above image doesn't load, the direct link is here.)

I also changed the animations for the skill to mirror the animations for the "break" skills (such as speed break, head break, etc), so that it would otherwise seem like a normal weapon attack.

However, the skill doesn't do anything now. Irreverent of the damage formula, it deals no damage. It shows the amount of expected damage when you target a foe, as well as the % chance to hit, but when the skill goes off, it doesn't actually do anything to the target. Throw stone has been equally fruitless.

Anyone got any ideas?

dw6561

I noticed you have the Y value at 0, so its going Rdm(1...0) which I'm not sure how the game would handle that. What are the values that the skill is displaying?

Also, how much damage do you want the skill to do? The knockback is hardcoded into the damage formula, so I could probably code a custom formula that gives weapon damage + 100% knockback or something.
  • Modding version: PSX
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Ashiel

August 22, 2016, 05:38:11 pm #2 Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:45:40 pm by Ashiel
Quote from: dw6561 on August 22, 2016, 03:06:54 pm
I noticed you have the Y value at 0, so its going Rdm(1...0) which I'm not sure how the game would handle that. What are the values that the skill is displaying?

Oh, that's probably an artifact from where I was trying different damage formulas (and none seemed to be working). In combat, the values the skill displays in the targeting menu seem correct for whatever damage formula was in place (for example, if I had it set to weapon formula, it had the same values as a normal attack). Just for some reason, it's not actually doing anything to the target.  :|

QuoteAlso, how much damage do you want the skill to do? The knockback is hardcoded into the damage formula, so I could probably code a custom formula that gives weapon damage + 100% knockback or something.
That would be amazing, actually.  :D

Weapon Damage + knockback would be perfect (if it would be no extra trouble, being able to set the knockback % could be helpful for balance testing later), since the ability is intended to be a normal attack with a tactical gimmick.

Thanks so much.  :)

I probably need to learn how to create my own ASM hacks but I don't think I'm ready for that just yet. It might be something I'm going to need to do in the long run though.  :oops:

EDIT: But something concerns me. Since the skill seems to be failing to actually do something, whether I'm using the weapon damage formula or a different formula, I worry that it might not do anything even with a cool new formula.  :?

I'll keep fiddling with it and see if I can come up with anything in the meantime.  :)

EDIT 2: Okay, so today I got it working with some strange discoveries. It seems that it works 100% fine if you leave the animation effect the same. I have no idea why this is, but if the animation effect is not set to "09A Dash/Wing Attack" then the formula doesn't do anything on a melee attack, but seems to work fine with ranged attacks (tested with an X-Bow). Setting the animation back to "09A" allows it to function with melee AND ranged attacks.

I have no idea why this matters, but it's definitely the culprit. I noticed something was amiss when an NPC squire used the Dash skill with a melee weapon and it didn't do anything (but did not miss) but my x-bow worked. Before changing the animation, I had seen it work when the squires used the skill in a previous test. So I flipped the animation back to 09A and sure enough, melee weapons worked again and ranged weapons do to.

Weird.  :shock:

Ashiel

Something a bit weird happened. I think that the skill critically hit and pushed an enemy, and then also pushed an enemy via the skill itself. It pushed this squire two spaces, into an already occupied space. While the two units were sharing a space, only the most recent to arrive there (the red panther) was able to be selected (such as when checking status, or aiming) but both units were subject to any attack or ability to occur in the space, and they died in the same space as well.

Check out this weird screencap.