• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:32:36 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

ALMA 4: Excalibur grants Forever: Orlandu

Started by pokeytax, February 07, 2011, 06:01:18 pm

Vanya

On the skill set page the drop down menu for the skill set you're giving only goes to 4C. Is that a deliberate limitation, or can it be extended to include the remaining skill sets?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

pokeytax

It's an oversight; but you can ignore the dropdown and type it in manually.
  • Modding version: PSX

Vanya

October 09, 2011, 01:35:29 pm #242 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:54:47 am by Vanya
I tried typing in "A1 Item", but instead of getting that skillset added to the menu, it replaced Attack. I double checked that I set it to 'extra' and not 'replace'. Should I have just typed "A1" instead?
Never mind, that was exactly it. I did it again with just the hex value and it worked fine.

Offhand, do you know the values for Byte 16? That's the byte that stores the current support skill IIRC.

Also, It seems that 3 extra slots is the max no matter what, yes? Additionally, it also seems to overwrite any skillsets granted through any other means. Specifically, through the use of FFTP innate settings and Razele's patches. Is this a limitation of the menu or your hack?

Ultimately, the set up I'm after is to let all units have Defend, Equip Change, & Item in addition to the extra commands for Lancer, Samurai, Ninja, etc on a one-at-a-time basis through the use of an associated support ability. Of course, this means merging R/S/M is out of the question.

So it would look like this:

Attack
Primary Skillset
Secondary Skillset
Support Skillset
Defend
Equip Change
Item

I'm considering giving several jobs support skillsets in this fashion with a small number of abilities in each.
Monk - Primary: Kenjutsu, Support: Chakra
White Mage - Primary: White Magick, Support: Prayer
Black Mage - Primary: Black Magick, Support: Chant
Dragon Knight - Primary: Dragon Skill, Support: Jump
Geomancer - Primary: Anima, Support: Geomancy
Red Mage - Primary: <pending>, Support: Red Magick
(Red Magick would have a selection of white & black spells that are weaker but have lower charge time.)
Blue Mage - Primary: Enemy Skills, Support: Level Magick (A limited version of Math Skill)
Samurai - Primary: Bushido, Support: Akkei (Akkei is Draw Out, it means the release of inner power.)
Ninja - Primary: Ninjutsu, Support: Nage (aka Throw.)
¯\(°_0)/¯

pokeytax

Quote from: Vanya on October 09, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
Offhand, do you know the values for Byte 16? That's the byte that stores the current support skill IIRC.

Lots of people (including me) try to read the current support skill this way when starting out. The correct way to read the current support skill is by checking the flags on bytes 8F - 92, because this accounts for innate supports and things you add through ALMA. So just choose Flagged?/Monster Talk or whatever.

QuoteAlso, It seems that 3 extra slots is the max no matter what, yes?

Yes, I hardcoded a limit because the menu has graphical glitches after five options (Attack/Primary/Secondary/Extra/Extra).

QuoteAdditionally, it also seems to overwrite any skillsets granted through any other means. Specifically, through the use of FFTP innate settings and Razele's patches. Is this a limitation of the menu or your hack?

I'm not sure what you mean by FFTP innate settings - this hack does overwrite the normal handling of Equip Change and Defend, so if you want them to work you need them in the Skillsets tab, and it rewrites the menu over Razele's hacks or anyone else's. I couldn't make it compatible with other arbitrary hacks.

QuoteUltimately, the set up I'm after is to let all units have Defend, Equip Change, & Item in addition to the extra commands for Lancer, Samurai, Ninja, etc on a one-at-a-time basis through the use of an associated support ability. Of course, this means merging R/S/M is out of the question.

What you are asking for is eight skillslots, if I understand you correctly (Lancer equipping "Chakra" could have Attack/Dragon Skill/White Magick/Jump/Chakra/Equip Change/Item/Defend). You've got five. Gonna have to make stuff like Equip Change/Defend low priority allowing other stuff to push it off the end of the queue, and force Lancers to equip Jump to get Jump.

RavenOfRazgriz

I'm pretty sure when Xifanie tested, the max you could get was 7 before menu-glitching, I could be wrong though.

Either way, it's not a particularly bad thing that there's a limit... having 8+ skillsets creates too much complexity for the player anyway.  (The AI also cannot handle knowing more than 38 skills total, but that's native to FFT because they never expected it to need to know more.)  This is why I really want Attack editable, though, it as a skillset would make a nice dumping ground for skillsets that are really only one command like Charge and Defend, but the AI doesn't accept those changes properly.    Had any luck there, Pokeytax, or just not tried in forever?

Vanya

October 09, 2011, 05:35:30 pm #245 Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:39:39 pm by Vanya
Quote from: pokeytax on October 09, 2011, 04:49:52 pm
Lots of people (including me) try to read the current support skill this way when starting out. The correct way to read the current support skill is by checking the flags on bytes 8F - 92, because this accounts for innate supports and things you add through ALMA. So just choose Flagged?/Monster Talk or whatever.

Ah. Good to know. Thanks.

Yes, I hardcoded a limit because the menu has graphical glitches after five options (Attack/Primary/Secondary/Extra/Extra).

Like Raven said, I remember Xif telling me the same thing about a limit of 7.

I'm not sure what you mean by FFTP innate settings - this hack does overwrite the normal handling of Equip Change and Defend, so if you want them to work you need them in the Skillsets tab, and it rewrites the menu over Razele's hacks or anyone else's. I couldn't make it compatible with other arbitrary hacks.

By innate setting I was referring to making Defend & Equip Change innate in FFTP. But, I see what happened, because I didn't include them in the Skillsets tab.

What you are asking for is eight skillslots, if I understand you correctly (Lancer equipping "Chakra" could have Attack/Dragon Skill/White Magick/Jump/Chakra/Equip Change/Item/Defend). You've got five. Gonna have to make stuff like Equip Change/Defend low priority allowing other stuff to push it off the end of the queue, and force Lancers to equip Jump to get Jump.

7 actually, The Lancer's extra support skillset would not be innate. They would have to learn the corresponding support and equip it before it shows up. In this way I would restrict these extra support skills to only one at a time. I was thinking of having an Onion Fencer job that teaches Equip Change as it's sole ability so I can knock one more skillslot off. If the 7 slot limit doesn't pan out I suppose I could take a page from FF6 and make these extra skillsets replace Attack.

BTW, I haven't been able to make heads or tails of the Passives slot. Could you 'splaing plees?
¯\(°_0)/¯

pokeytax

October 09, 2011, 08:26:30 pm #246 Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:02:09 pm by pokeytax
I've never seen anything more than five not provoke a graphical glitch for the player, overwriting the bottom of the menu (which makes sense as five is the maximum in vanilla). I imagine this is fixable, or maybe doesn't show up using a different skillset writing method? I don't know, but if it were as easy as just trying more than five, I woulda done it already.

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on October 09, 2011, 05:22:41 pmHad any luck there, Pokeytax, or just not tried in forever?

Haven't tried recently. There's such a lot of world to see...

The passives tab hopefully works! I haven't tested it too extensively because no one has ever wanted to use passives.

"Passives" are bonuses from LEARNED ABILITIES.

The three large columns give passives to active jobs, specific people, and equipped secondaries.
The table on the right determines which attributes are granted.

Part 1: Basic Passives

Let's say you wanted to have learning Accumulate grant PA + 1 (attribute 31).

Accumulate is Squire Ability 1, so set cell CL5 to 31. Now Accumulate is associated with PA + 1, but we have to decide what conditions add this bonus.

If you want units with the job Squire to gain the bonus, check cell C78.
If you want units with Basic Skill secondary to gain the bonus, check cell AZ9 (05 Basic Skill).

You can apply multiple conditions: if you want units to gain +1 PA if they are Squires or have Basic Skill secondary, check both C78 & AZ9.

Part 2: Identities and Freelancers

The middle column lets you give special characters talents that apply outside their base job. For example, let's say that you want to give 1E Holy Knight (Agrias) the RSM "Equip Sword" in her sixth RSM slot, and have it grant her permanent sword availability once learned regardless of job.

In FFTPatcher, go to skillset 28 Holy Sword and set the sixth RSM to Equip Sword.
ALMA attribute '7A' is the Equip Sword attribute, so set cell DG5 to 7A to assign it to Base Class RSM6. Then check cell AV30 to enable Base RSM6 Passives for Identity 1E.

This will let Agrias equip Swords as a Monk once she has learned Equip Sword in her Holy Knight base class, without giving that ability to Squires who learn their RSM6, Move + 1.

You can also have jobs that gain boosts from abilities learned in multiple classes. Let's say you had many passive boosts and wanted to give Mimes access to a weak passive from each job - if you set cell CL46 to 5D Mime, they activate every square checked in the grid above. By default, that's all passives. You can uncheck the ones that are too powerful.

Part 3: The ARH and "Pure Passives"

Learned abilities have a pesky habit of affecting stuff. Even trash like Level Jump5 has an in-game effect when learned. How do you make a true passive ability that just adds +20% HP or whatever? You need to use the ARH to disable the ability in battle. However, with a finite number of ability slots this seems a waste.

I fiddled with the ARH to allow it to disable not just real abilities, but the "special" abilities like Item/Throw/Jump/Charge/Math Skill when used in Normal skillsets. Since these abilities are of limited use to most patches, they make perfect passives. You can use the ARH v1.2 to disable Level Jump5, rename it "Toughness", and then add it to a non-Jump skillset. Instead of showing up as a buggy mess, it won't show up at all, just add its passive bonus when desired.

Feel free to ask more questions as I know it's confusing.

Vanya

Thanks! That helped out a lot. If I get stuck I'll make sure to ask.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

Quote from: pokeytax on October 09, 2011, 08:26:30 pm
I've never seen anything more than five not provoke a graphical glitch for the player, overwriting the bottom of the menu (which makes sense as five is the maximum in vanilla). I imagine this is fixable, or maybe doesn't show up using a different skillset writing method? I don't know, but if it were as easy as just trying more than five, I woulda done it already.

Just wanted to bring your attention to this:
(Took me a while to track down too.)

Quote from: Xifanie on August 03, 2010, 07:35:15 pm
It's really not that simple. The skillset types affect its whole content and we can't have throwing items + normal abilities in the same skillset unless someone made a huge hack for it, which I currently can't because I have absolutely no idea how to proceed.
Act can hold 7 skillsets, or lines if you prefer. My other innate all skillset hack simple writes that skillset in the last/7th slot.
¯\(°_0)/¯

pokeytax

There is a new version in the OP, which just fixes the issue with PA/MA/SP buffs and debuffs being cleared on level up/other stuff.  Hopefully.

Nephlymio

I've been playing around with Alma and an idea as came out of my mind. It results as a suggestion and a ''can we do that?''

Here is what I'm playing with right now, Jump as inherit from a skillset.
If dragoon or valkyrie skillset is ''equipped'' it would give out the jump command too. My question is, is it possible that level jump and range would increase by class level?
Because I don't want the jump command as a main command and having to spend jp and a skillset all together. I find jump a bad ''main skillset'' as it gives nothing else than jump as an attack...

Here is what I mean :

if class level dragoon = 1, learn skill level 1 jump, learn skill level jump 1 ( or just turn it on by making a single ability rather than 2)
if class level dragoon = 2 ... range and jump + 2 and so on

My thinking on this is, it would be nice that skills would be learnable from a checkbox in attributes... (rofl) So we could set a knightsword to give a special attack to a skillset as an hidden skill for a certain class by removing the learn from jp in fftpatcher?

or

Make a support ability give multiple advance command to a knight or mage skillset such as ''Advanced Magic''. When equip that support could make abilities like meteor / flare / fire 4 / ice 4 / bolt 4 enabled for the mage class since those abilities would be hidden into that skillset and not JP learnable.

The same way, we could make a specific class to inherit the attribute and unlock more of the skills than there actually is in the basic skills or white magics.......... This would be terrific!! We could set one big table of skills and make those generics see only a quarter of it, but special characters could have that and even more of the hidden skills making a compact skillset configuration.

This looks big, but it is all linked together since they all relates to the attribute sheet.

If this is possible, make sure those skills would disapear when unequipping the thing that activates them...

Choto

I was going through space consumption and noticed that ALMA and RAD conflict with each other... I think. I may have been looking at an old version but there is a section in ALMA that spans 0xF4C64 - 0xF4D07, and a section in RAD that spans 0xF4D00 - 0xF4D5C. Just making a note if you decide to fix it down the road.

And you know, even with how much I've gotten better over the years with ASM, these spreadsheets still leave me in awe.. they're so robust!

Lockeadon

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on February 17, 2011, 07:01:40 pm
You'd need to explain that in more retard-friendly terms to get feedback on that, Pokeytax.  Even I don't exactly know what your script there would be doing.

And Pickle Girl Fanboy, you could easily just set things immune to Crystal and Treasure in FFTPatcher, lol.  Either that or make Immortal Status not block anything that make a small ASM hack that makes all units on a map spawn Immortal, including those placed by the player.

this is a really late reply but wouldn't that effectively remove perma-death for both your allies and the enemies?

Lockeadon

September 09, 2013, 03:34:43 pm #253 Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:36:08 pm by Lockeadon
this looks awesome... but how do you actually use it? this could use a how-to or a basic explanation of how to use it. color me confused o.o

*is now confused*

edit: also where is the list of attributes? the ones you talked about in your passives discussion don't seem to be the same ones on the attributes tab

Aqueous

Hi Guys,

Trying to use this as well, I understand the topic hasn't been posted in for awhile but this hack looks so good I needed to ask a few questions:

1. I've not been able to quite find an explicit answer in the thread on whether it's possible or not to link one skillset to another? I am also trying to give Lancer's a new skillset but retain Jump as being automatically available when equipping the new Lancer skill set.

Looking at the sheet it appears possible but I wanted to check I'm doing this right.

I've set a new line on the Skillset tab:

Extra Slot - Equal to? - Never - 13 Secondary - New Skillset - 12 Jump

This should grant the use of Jump if I have the New Skillset as a secondary?

2. I understand it takes alot of time but is there any plans to make any form of tutorial for it? The reason I ask is because there's a plethora of stuff that could be done here but I suspect only a select few are using this in earnest because only that few understand it. That seems like an unfortunate waste.

3. Is there a way of plucking out only the part of the hack that I've changed when applying it? In other words, there's alot in this hack that is set to the default values and is included in the XML and in those cases I'm guessing it'll overwrite any modifications I've already made. I only want to apply changes not overwrite everything - is this possible?

Thank you :)