• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

[Old] ALL old topics created before the FULL release (Merged together!)

Started by Dome, December 05, 2010, 02:02:09 pm

Which one is the best, and why?

Ignore
0 (0%)
this
0 (0%)
topic
0 (0%)
!!!!!1111
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Dome

QuoteArcher sucks obviously and editing it is easy.  My comment on it is that"Archer -> Hunter, guy whose basically a beastmaster and/or steals all of Mustardio's thunder." is a really common change to perform on it.  Unless you do it well, it'll end up being rather lolpatchy or scrubby feeling.
Well, in a world filled with monsters, I find strange that no-one is specializing in hunting them, that's why the hunter idea
Well, about being made well...that's why this topic is here :-)
Also, if everyone else dislike that idea, it won't be implemented

QuoteJump is usually crap?  1.34x Physical Damage boosted by Attack UP (iirc) with huge range, a CT that never becomes outdated, and never misses... is crap?  Think about that, think about why it's crap, and think about whether that should be crap, then decide whether you want to change the skillset and how.
IIRC is not boosted by Attack up.
Yeah, maybe I've choosen the wrong word, and crap is not appropriate...but it's not very good
We can still give him a jump ability (Like the one in FFTA) and something else, shouldn't be that hard to make

QuoteNecromancer is also *slightly* common... but also very niche.  You need to pull it off very well for it to be worth the space on the Job wheel.  Your best bet would be to give them a skill that makes all allies Undead at 100% rate so they can lead off the battle with it, but the AI probably would not use such a skill and as such the class itself would remain mostly redundant and wasteful.
I think we can edit the flags in the FFPatcher for that
Also, some undead class is already in the game, we can put necromancer with them in storyline battles

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: "Dome"IIRC is not boosted by Attack up.
Yeah, maybe I've choosen the wrong word, and crap is not appropriate...but it's not very good
We can still give him a jump ability (Like the one in FFTA) and something else, shouldn't be that hard to make

I'm not saying you shouldn't replace it.  I was more commenting on the fact that if you sit down and think of what actually goes into the Jump command - "Not very good" is something that should probably not be attached.  If Lightning Stab were WP +8, 100% accurate, and added 1-turn wall to the user... "bad" wouldn't be the word to describe it.  The fact a skill that is basically that is crap should make you think a bit.

Quote from: "Dome"I think we can edit the flags in the FFPatcher for that
Also, some undead class is already in the game, we can put necromancer with them in storyline battles

Not really.

That's also what I mean - it's niche.  Maybe a Special Unit but nothing that belongs on the Job Wheel unless it can easily supply its own Undead.

AeroGP

Remember, this is not the story of Ramza as told through the mouths of the Ivalician people. This is the story of Ramza as told through the lips of Arazlam J. Durai. And what did Arazlam think of Ramza?

Noble -> Mercenary -> Mercenary -> Hero
Quote from: Tycho"There are a number of different factors impacting server connectivity on Xbox 360," the spokesperson said. "It is a particularly complex server architecture and we continue to work with Microsoft to improve connectivity."

I don't want to bolster any "violent gamer" tropes, but that statement makes me want to improve the connectivity of my front two knuckles with their esophagus.  I wonder how Brenna would respond if I told her that "fidelity" was complicated.

Dominic NY18

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on December 17, 2010, 08:49:27 pm
Can't really agree with Ramza being a Hero.  He's a kid at heart most of the times, sure, though still a bit of a prick (see: the victory event of Grog Hill), but he's not out to save the world.  He spends the first Chapter being an idiot then saving Teta, the second Chapter following Gafgarion then trying to fix his own mistake, the third Chapter trying to tell Zalbag what's going on so he can do something about it, goes to Orbonne when Zalbag doesn't believe him to nab a quick Stone and get further proof of what's going on, then spends the rest of the game on a huge quest to save his sister and to somewhat see what the fuck is up with Delita.

"Save the world" is never on his agenda honestly.  Killing all the demons and saving the world is more like an accident because he needed to so he could save Alma.  He wants to stop the Church, but his intent is to tell other people (Zalbag, T.G. Cid, etc.), and have them do most of the work... things just turn out so that he's stuck doing it all instead.  He just wants to save his sister, so there's really no reason to see him as a "Hero" on a personal level.  It also makes the whole Batman comparison also flop.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't even see himself as any kind of hero or anything special at all.

He has no reason to be a Knight or to honestly have any kind of heroic title whatsoever.  Really, Cadet/Mercenary/Heretic is probably the best set of alternatives you're going to get because they reflect how other people see him.

I disagree with much of what you're saying Raven because I don't think Ramza's nearly as selfish as you're making him out to be, but I'll come back to this tomorrow (or really later on today) with a proper rebuttal.

In any case though, I think the name of his job class should be the last thing to be debated over.

Dome

QuoteAt the moment, the demo I'm working on has every human character with fixed growths (10 hp / 10 mp / 90 speed / 42 PA / 42 MA)
My idea is to make stats fixed in order to make people able to play (and enjoy) the game without worrying about stats and staying low level in order to raise special guys in the best classes (Bye Bye Lame challenge)

Now, my other idea...
QuoteWith fixed growths, it should be easier for us to work with every class stat
I mean, we can decide "Tiers" of every stat for every class, and adjust the multipliers accordingly
For example:
1/5: multiplier 90
2/5: multiplier 100
3/5: multiplier 110
4/5: multiplier 120
5/5: multiplier 130
Knight class
Hp: 5/5 (130)
Mp: 2/5 (100)
Speed: 1/5 (90)
PA: 5/5 (130)
MA: 2/5 (100)
Having fixed growths and "normalized" stats it will make easier for us to predict stats of every character, and adjust enemy stats (Expecially bossed) accordingly

Like? Don't like? Think something should be changed?
Discuss

RavenOfRazgriz

People probably won't want fixed growths on anything meant to be an "updated, more challenging patch" in the vein of 1.3 without the monster difficulty because it's less faithful.  Stuff like the Lame Challenge and the ability to Min/Max stats was one of the replayability foils of both Vanilla and 1.30XX, because it was just more to do and some people love it.

I love flat growths personally even though I find your Growth values a bit bleh (10/10[190 or 255]/50/50 has a far better curve/predictability to it, imo), though like I said, given your original intent for this project I'm not sure they're actually a good route to take, and honestly predicting stats still isn't too hard.

Dome

1.4 is not meant to be harder than 1.3
1.4 aim is to be funnier to play without having broken abilities/combo or being hard as hell (Only the DD will be hard, because it's an optional sidequest and I like the idea of an uber-hard dungeon with very good rewards)
I'm not good with numbers, so numbers will probably be changed later...

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Dome on December 24, 2010, 09:09:37 am
1.4 is not meant to be harder than 1.3

I didn't say it was, but it's still meant to be rather faithful to the original, no?  As in an actual "update to vanilla's gameplay" patch and not a new take?

In which case, people will probably wig out over flat growths, because it does remove a few of the things that made the original replayable, as already said, and does remove some of that "roleplaying" aspect for people who like to really get into that.

Dome

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on December 24, 2010, 09:25:54 am
I didn't say it was, but it's still meant to be rather faithful to the original, no?  As in an actual "update to vanilla's gameplay" patch and not a new take?

In which case, people will probably wig out over flat growths, because it does remove a few of the things that made the original replayable, as already said, and does remove some of that "roleplaying" aspect for people who like to really get into that.

Well...let's see what the others think about this...if no-one likes the fixed growths they will be reverted back to normal...
Anyway, I liked the idea of fixed growths because it allows you to better focus on fighting without worrying about growing in the right classes to get better (but not by much) stats
P.s: I'm playing right now with fixed growths, and there isn't so much difference...

Arganthonius7

Why not make necromancer an enemy-only class, and replace it with something else?
Then place it on maps full of undead.
Otherwise, it might be too overpowered or weak.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Dome on December 24, 2010, 09:29:08 am
Well...let's see what the others think about this...if no-one likes the fixed growths they will be reverted back to normal...
Anyway, I liked the idea of fixed growths because it allows you to better focus on fighting without worrying about growing in the right classes to get better (but not by much) stats
P.s: I'm playing right now with fixed growths, and there isn't so much difference...

Thing is, a lot of people don't care about the fact growths exist, others love the fact because again, it increases the roleplay element some people like to inject into their FFT run and gives min/maxers more reasons to play longer.

They work perfectly in gameplay, I find when done well they're amazing, however they're not very fitting to what your current Project seems to be aiming for and most people going into it expecting an updated but not hellishly hard FFT experience will be disheartened by it because they were expecting the ability to be able to focus on certain classes and get rewards for it either immediately or later on.

Dome

Good news!
The alpha-demo of chapter 1 is ready!
I just need to learn how to make a .pff and it will be released :-)

Chrona

Silver Noble

Dome

Quote from: Chrona on December 28, 2010, 03:29:38 pm
Cool :D

This is moving along much faster than expected <3

Well, the release of the demo required only a lot of FFPatcher editing, and it's still a beta xD

philsov

QuoteIn which case, people will probably wig out over flat growths, because it does remove a few of the things that made the original replayable,

I doubt it.  In vanilla FFT the differences in growths were so minor that the only people who actually used them used them in conjuction with level up/down to go 999/999/50/99/99 in masturbatory delight.  

In 1.3 growths were thoroughly implemented with noticeable effects, which while making it more pleasing to the min-maxers and the RPers and the strategists, effectively damned the more casual player because they were now getting "penalized" when a lifelong wizard wanted to be a monk.  

That said, I'm all for making standardized growths, but please don't oversimplify the generic classes by having set multiplier tiers.  It's good to know what 120 or 140 multiplier will get you with these growths, but use those those numbers as guides, not go-to's (obviously 125 multiplier nets you halfway between 120 and 130, e.g.).
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Dome

Ok, I'll upload this ppf, I hope it works
http://www.mediafire.com/?8d706k6wbbu1b1c
Changelog:
- Starter generics have good Br/Fa and random zodiac signs
- The only units that you can't control in the first battle are Agrias and Gaffy
- Ramza skillset and classes has been changed
- Every non-monster class in the game has the same fixed growths
- Every enemy is set at "Party level"
- Enemies in battles have fixed equipments (Powerlevelling to 99 will not let you get better gear that the one you can buy in stores/steal during storyline and random fights)
- Every fight (Starting from Dorter) has at least 1 thing worth stealing
- Storyline battles have been changed a bit in order to remove difficult spikes and make them a little different from 1.3
- Something else that I can't remember atm...

The alpha-demo ends when you recruit Rad, Alicia and Lavian