• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:15:53 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grim Grimoire Beta 0.7- Last Updated: 2/25/16

Started by Eternal, February 12, 2013, 01:48:41 am

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Madeen

February 18, 2015, 10:05:19 am #41 Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:34:11 am by Madeen
Hello!

I'm excited to try this hack when it will be a bit more tested and all, but in the meantime may I make a suggestion?

I'd love to see gadgeteer moves changed, I just hate that random part and I never use them because of it.

Maybe you could change them to simple aoe 1, or maybe even single target... or even all foes but low debuff proc?  Anything as long as randomness is gone!

Edit: Uhh, call me stupid or whatever but how do you even patch this?  The patch is a PPF file, so I tried a PPF patcher... but it only works with ISO files?  FFTA2 is nds file as far as I know...

Beckendorf

Amazing hack but I have got a question. Can I play it on my 3ds?

Bonesy

Not unless you've got a method of doing so!

I take it this'll be your primary focus after you're mostly done with 1.0 FFTAGG? I enjoyed what little I played of the old version of FFTAGG and gave you feedback on however long ago and am pretty hype for this because I generally tend to prefer FFTA2.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Eternal

Indeed! I'm very excited for FFTA2 GG, but I really want to focus on finishing 1.0 of FFTA GG first. I've already begun brainstorming what classes will be in FFTA2 GG. Since Green Mage and Bard already exist in FFTA2 GG, there's no need to have those replace Illusionist and Animist respectively. Other jobs will be created for them instead. Orator, Samurai, and Myrmidon will all return.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Eternal

I'm pleased to announce that as of tonight, I've begun text editing for FFTA2 GG. It's a ways off (though it shouldn't take as long as FFTA GG), but the following jobs will hopefully make an appearance:

-Necromancer (replacing Illusionist, focuses directly on Undead units, charming them, exorcising them, etc.)

-Myrmidon (replacing Gladiator, uses skills similar to FFT Swordskills, akin to FFTA GG)

-Reaver (replacing Lanista, similar to Dark Knights in the FF series, albeit less magickally-oriented than FFTA GG's Reavers.)

-Oracle (replacing Master Monk, focuses on close-range combat with Poles with the ability to inflict debuffs that other Bangaa jobs cannot, very similar to FFT's Oracle, but with a heavier emphasis of close combat)

-Evoker (replacing Alchemist, similar to FFTA GG's Evokers, using Summons with a wide variety of effects that tend to be "opposite" of the regular Summon's effect)

-Orator (replacing Tinker, focus on close combat and directly buffing/debuffing stats themselves)

-Samurai (replacing Defender, magick-based job for Bangaa, with a focus on evasion and releasing magickal-based attacks around the user)

-Corsair (replacing Flintlock, going to test to see if they can use Cards- I doubt it, but it's worth a try- will have a grab-bag of various abilities, such as nullifying enemy evasion for a turn, attacking twice, and taking advantage of poor enemy unit positioning)

-White Monk has been renamed Monk.

Unlike FFTA GG, Animist will likely remain. There will be lots of other changes, of course, but I'm glad to get this ball rolling!

Madeen

Ohh necromancers, I love them :D
That alone will make me want to try your hack.

Eternal

They're actually almost done, believe it or not. I'm just waiting for some help from RFH since I'm having some issues editing their skillset descriptions. I made all their abilities today and (shockingly) they all work perfectly! Here are some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/PeMx3

-Brainrot deals damage to both an enemy's HP and MP.
-Banish destroys fallen Undead in a large AoE.
-Seal Evil inflicts Petrify on a living Undead unit.
-Putrify deals Dark damage in a small AoE and inflicts Resilience Down, making the enemy more vulnerable to debuffs.
-Duskbane delays the turn of all Undead enemies in the battle.
-Styx inflicts Charm on Undead units in a small AoE.
-Cruciate fully revives a fallen ally, but inflicts Poison and Speed Down on the user.
-Tainted Love deals non-elemental damage to a single enemy and may inflict Charm.

Madeen

Quote from: Eternal on September 21, 2015, 06:06:12 pm
They're actually almost done, believe it or not. I'm just waiting for some help from RFH since I'm having some issues editing their skillset descriptions. I made all their abilities today and (shockingly) they all work perfectly! Here are some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/PeMx3

-Brainrot deals damage to both an enemy's HP and MP.
-Banish destroys fallen Undead in a large AoE.
-Seal Evil inflicts Petrify on a living Undead unit.
-Putrify deals Dark damage in a small AoE and inflicts Resilience Down, making the enemy more vulnerable to debuffs.
-Duskbane delays the turn of all Undead enemies in the battle.
-Styx inflicts Charm on Undead units in a small AoE.
-Cruciate fully revives a fallen ally, but inflicts Poison and Speed Down on the user.
-Tainted Love deals non-elemental damage to a single enemy and may inflict Charm.

Aw no raise dead?  I mean, a necromancer should be able to have undeads at his service...

And some of these skill names sound familiar... Tactic Ogre?

bcrobert

Why would cards not work? It's just a throw animation. I gave a hand cannon to a nu mou white mage in FFTA2 and it worked. The animations are much more complete in the DS game.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Jumza

Quote from: bcrobert on September 22, 2015, 02:06:09 am
Why would cards not work? It's just a throw animation. I gave a hand cannon to a nu mou white mage in FFTA2 and it worked. The animations are much more complete in the DS game.

Thats just amazing. All Nu Mous should be able to have cannons :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Eternal

I think I need to find a canon way to give White Mages Hand Cannons now.

bcrobert

Quote from: Jumza on September 22, 2015, 04:51:43 pm
Thats just amazing. All Nu Mous should be able to have cannons :P

Right? I hacked the character to be named after the Cinquleur white king and was firing off Ultima from a cannon. WITH A NU MOU WHITE MAGE.

@Eternal: You don't need a "canon" reason. It's awesome; thus do it. Imagine if the maker of Pokemon Derpizard had changed his mind because a water-type Charizard isn't "canon."

Eternal

September 23, 2015, 08:56:13 pm #53 Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:56:07 pm by Eternal
Maybe instead of Evoker I'll make a Hand Cannon job for Nu Mou. They can use a physical job anyways since Reavers aren't around for Nu Mou any more. Also, I think the primary gimmick for Corsairs will be positioning. As in, immobilizing units, knocking them back, teleporting allies, dealing increased damage to the enemy's rear, etc.

EDIT: As of this edit, Necromancer is fully finished. Every description is updated, and every skill works properly. Huzzah!

Eternal

September 26, 2015, 01:19:05 pm #54 Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:36:07 pm by Eternal
Update! The Orator job is complete and fully functional! As with FFTA GG, they can alter enemy stats and have a variety of useful tricks, such as AoE Sleep and the ability to bestow Reraise.

-Praise boosts the damage of the target's next physical attack and bestows Critical Up.
-Frighten inflicts Slow and/or Immobilize on a single target.
-Intimidate reduces a single target's Attack and Magick.
-Invite inflicts Charm on a single target.
-Insult inflicts Berserk on a single target.
-Mimic Mewt inflicts Sleep over a small AoE.
-Flatter reduces a single target's Defense and Resistance.
-Preach bestows Reraise to a single unit.

EDIT: I've also successfully made a Grapple skill for Fighters to replace Backdraft. It may or may not be totally OP, but we'll see. It works like Yowie's Draw In. It drags an enemy from up to 4 tiles away to within 2 tiles of the user and Roots it for the next turn, making it easier for melee units near the Fighter to gang up on that enemy.

bcrobert

Sounds like Grapple will give the Fighter a touch of much-needed uniqueness, since his whole deal has always been "deal damage in different ways" which is...meh. (Especially since he only ever had two unique abilities...) The added status ailment might break it, since it sounds like it hits a pretty sizable area.

And I'll miss the name "Mimic Babus."

pondwitch

oh wowee, i can't wait for this to be finished!

Eternal

September 28, 2015, 11:01:03 am #57 Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:52:48 pm by Eternal
Progress is going much faster than anticipated! The only thing I won't be able to do very easily yet is change enemy formations, but that can wait until later. Today I'll be working on the Oracle job, which should be a lot of fun.

EDIT:

Oracles are finished! Oracles are evasive warmages that focus on inflicting debuffs, boosting their own Evasion, and smacking things in the head with Poles. Directly inspired by FFT's Oracles, they have higher MP growth than most Bangaa jobs, higher Evasion than Tricksters, but less Speed, and less Defense/HP than other Bangaa jobs. Having them Evade attacks is the way to keep them alive.

Doom- Inflicts Doom on a single unit.
Cessation- Inflicts Stop on a single unit.
Hesitation- Inflicts Disable in a small AoE.
Invigor- Drains HP from an enemy.
Prescience- Bestows Evasion Up on the user.
Empowerment- Drains MP from an enemy.
Lubrication- Inflicts Oil in a large AoE.
Repose- Inflicts Sleep on a single unit.

http://imgur.com/a/5edj3

EDIT 2:

Fusiliers have been revamped, akin to FFTA GG. They now have Rustshot, Rendshot, and Breakshot which breaks Armor, Weapons, and Shields respectively. They also have Warpshot, which teleports a unit within weapon range randomly around the field and inflicts Confuse.

chocolatemoose

Iiiiif you're taking requests, here's a wishlist of jobs that could use some love:

Hume:
- Soldier
- Thief
- Fighter (sounds like you're on it)
- Parivir (little too OP)
- Ninja (outside of double sword)
- Seer (take away magick frenzy and...)

Bangaa:
- Warrior
- Gladiator (take away Ultima and it's pretty useless)
- Dragoon (too vanilla)
- Templar (any use outside of haste + cheer?)

Nu Mou:
- Tough to pin on any one class, but could use a little more differentiation

Viera:
- Green mage
- Elementalist

Moogle:
- Thief
- Flintlock (sounds like you're on it)
- Tinker (heh)
- Chocobo Knight

Seeq:
- Viking

Gria:
- Geomancer
- Raptor (mostly similar to but slightly inferior to Ravager)

I guess I struggle with using some classes because their techs/growths/equipment are sub-optimal when compared to others. Archers and Soldiers usually fall into this category for me.

Eternal

September 28, 2015, 08:26:22 pm #59 Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:38:37 pm by Eternal
Haha, I'm not really taking -requests- per se, but I'm always up for new ideas!

Humes:

-Soldiers have lost Mug Gil and have gained MP Gift, which allows them to transfer their (unused) MP to another unit. Their Rends are also Weapon Range now (I forget if they were in Vanilla A2), and First Aid has 1 Range and cures some minor debuffs (Poison, Blind, and Oil). It also heals substantially more HP, but we'll see if that'll need to be nerfed back or not. Provoke now has 3 Range as opposed to 1, and Gauge is now Weapon Range, but decreases Defense and Resistance.

-Thieves are a tricky one for me. Quite frankly, thanks to Steal being changed so heavily, I was tempted to axe them totally for something new. Instead, Loot Lv. 1/2 are being consolidated, as are Loot Lv. 3/4. Steal HP and Steal MP are going to be a thing as with FFTA GG. Steal Gil is now Mug, which (of course) deals damage within Weapon Range and steals Gil. Steal Limelight will probably become Steal Armor. Sadly, Steal Weapon isn't a thing I can make yet, to my knowledge.

-Fighters are even trickier for me because of Myrmidon by proxy. Many skills are shared between the two jobs, and as my experiments today showed me, I can't just up and erase skills and put them on new weapons and use other skill slots to create new things. Ultimately, I'd love to give Fighters Rend Weapon/Armor, but that depends on what happens with Gladiator/Myrmidon. Grapple is definitely a working thing already though, which makes them infinitely more interesting than they were before. (And no more Backdraft spam!)

-Parivir skills now deal normal damage with their normal debuffs. Geomancy will be limited to Gria (Geomancers) now, so that won't be quite as abused any more. I -was- going to make them into FFTA GG Samurai, but Bangaa -really- need the extra magickal damage in their race.

-Ninja skills are now very much like FFT Geomancy. They're free, have AoE, deal minor damage, and rarely inflict debuffs. They also have Japanese names, akin to FFTA GG.

-Seers are... difficult. I actually really like Magick Frenzy and want it to stay in some capacity. I might end up making it boss-only just because of how cool it is. That, and I think Illua with Sheol/Magick Frenzy spam would be hilarious. Ultimately, I think they're going to become the Red Mage for Humes... albeit leaning more towards Speed and Resistance than Red Mages focus on Attack.

-Warriors are basically how they were before, but that again depends on how I end up dealing with Myrmidons. If Myrmidons become a thing, then Warriors will mostly stay the same. If not, Warriors will end up being the ones to get the Rend skills for Bangaa.

-Gladiators are (hopefully) going to become Myrmidons, a job originally seen in FFTA GG that uses FFT Swordskills. They would be physically powerful, but slow. Myrmidons would have Stasis Sword, Split Punch, Crush Punch, Lightning Stab, Icewolf Bite, Shellbust Stab, and Yell (Defense Down on a single enemy).

-Dragoons are another tricky one. Wyrmtamer will be able to literally Control Wyrmkin upon the next release (just like the Beastmaster's Control), but I don't know what else I want to give them yet. I might make Fire Breath completely linear (like Earth Render), and change some other Breaths, but I'm not sure yet.

-Templars are great. Debuffs are ridiculously common in my patches, so Astra is a lifesaver. MP starts at full and doesn't regenerate now, so Rasp is also good for dealing with enemy magi. Piercing Cry is one of the few skills that flat out reduces an enemy's Speed (and stacks with Slow), which combined with Haste can make for some really interesting combos. I want to change Soul Sphere so it's not so same-y with Rasp. It'll probably end up some totally new skill.

-Nu Mou have Necromancers now, as well as Ultima. Arcanists will (eventually) be given a facelift, mostly because I like them too much not to make them more fun. Scholars are going to get a chance eventually as well, I'm just not sure how. Alchemists (thanks to Blanky) will be wearing heavy armor and using hand cannons as of the next update though. Boom boom! I may end up making Scholar or Arcanist a physical-oriented job. That was the point of Reavers in FFTA GG, but Reavers are on Seeq now, so Nu Mou need something to make up for it.

-Green Mages have increased use, in that Protect/Shell now have summon AoE and Leap is still around.

-Elementalists are still around in their same capacity, but White Flame now removes some debuffs instead of healing HP, as that's what Earth Heal does. That being said, Spellblades will probably be something new soon. I'm toying with the idea of a job that can use any equipment and uses "Stances" to alter and mix/max their stats for maximum versatility. For example, "Stonestance" would increase Defense and Resistance, but lower Speed and Evasion, "Swiftwind" would increase Speed and Evasion, but lower Defense and Resistance, etc.

-Tinker has become Orators, which have been detailed above. Basically, they're a lot more fun now!

-Chocobo Knights are so... everywhere that I'm not sure what to do with them. I'll figure something out eventually.

-Vikings are mostly staying the same, but I don't know what I'll do with things like Pickpocket.

-Geomancers are becoming the sole user of Geomancy. It just makes sense, afterall. I'd also like to give them an ability similar to Viking's Tsunami (usable only while in Water), akin to FFT's Water Ball, but I don't have any room for it in their skillset.

-Raptors are going to be completely rehauled, I'm just not sure to what yet. Maybe a Dragoon-esque class similar to Llyud from Revenant Wings.

Also, Snipers have a really cool looking Arrow Rain skill now, which is summon AoE 50% weapon damage at normal accuracy, which is great for sniping off enemies while damaging non-damaged enemies.