• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:31:07 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

l just want to control enemy characters and force them to use certain skills!

Started by samnum, April 21, 2019, 06:12:09 pm

samnum

l feel like this is a really really stupid question, but the amount of resources and work you guys put into creating modding/patching tools is overwhelming to someone who's never done this sort of thing before!

My goal at the moment is that l want to have a recording for every single job, character, monster, boss skill animation present in the regular PS1 version of the game (originally also wanted to have the recording with all incantation quotes, but l think l will give that up). My problem is that l could spend hours sitting in a fight, and the boss would fall into a loop of using the same x skill, and they simply refuse to use certain skills.

l was wondering what the simplest way would be to act as an enemy in order to force them to use a certain spell/skill, in order to save my sanity from a few particular Lucavi. From my research, l've found FFTastic, but l can't really find a decent tutorial for absolute dummies like myself. Are there any approaches you guys would take?

l'm currently using mednafen 1.21.3 (64bit) to record footage from at the moment.
Thank you guys so much in advance, the work you guys do is just crazy

Edit:  l just found the 'learning subforum' link, so l think l posted this in the wrong place, whoops!
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

I have to ask: ...Why? What for? What's the purpose behind all this?

And what exactly are you trying to accomplish? We already have videos of, say, all animations of ch1 Ramza, and all ability effects (graphical animations with sound) recorded. I can't tell if these would work out for you or not.

And Shishi allows you to play the individual animations of any character/sprite in the game over a black background. Without sound, though.

This is the right section for this, btw.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

Yep.

There is a super easy way to do this though - FFTPatcher can set any unit to Controllable in the ENTD tab.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

samnum

Quote from: Xifanie on April 21, 2019, 08:20:37 pm
I have to ask: ...Why? What for? What's the purpose behind all this?

And what exactly are you trying to accomplish? We already have videos of, say, all animations of ch1 Ramza, and all ability effects (graphical animations with sound) recorded. I can't tell if these would work out for you or not.

And Shishi allows you to play the individual animations of any character/sprite in the game over a black background. Without sound, though.

This is the right section for this, btw.

Wooooah, are you for real??
l'm an artist and l would like to work on a Tactics style game in the future, and intended to play one more playthrough of FFT, and also record all skills for me to study frame by frame (Youtube didn't have what l was looking for) ls there anywhere l can find these videos for all the skill animations with sound? l've only found the individual game sprites under 'Effects' in resources (which is incredibly useful too)

l will try learning the FFTPatcher & use the ENTD tab if anything too, thanks Nyzer!

Nyzer

QuoteWooooah, are you for real??

You have no idea how many people have come here looking to reinvent the wheel or do things in some super convoluted way.

There was someone on reddit not long ago who went through the trouble of finding all the Gameshark codes to point at jobs for modification and posted it like it was some major discovery, when FFTPatcher is like 12 years old now and can do so much more.

It's a question worth asking.

In this case you'd do better off using Shishi for the character animations, and there is a thread R999 made with all the spell effects: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=4830.0

Xifanie

Quote from: samnum on April 21, 2019, 10:08:24 pm
Wooooah, are you for real??

What do you mean?

And here are the ability animations/effects:

Keep in mind that many effects have randomness to them. Like the lightning bolts from bolt spells come from random directions.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

3lric

Xifanie

Quote from: Elric on April 22, 2019, 06:02:23 am
I know the guy who made those videos. Hes a good guy

He's a total sucker, I copy/pasted all those links/spoilers and didn't even give him credit. TAKE THAT, youtube person!

samnum

Haha l guess there are just people that are completely oblivious (such as myself) to what's really possible!

Quote from: Nyzer on April 21, 2019, 10:21:40 pm
In this case you'd do better off using Shishi for the character animations, and there is a thread R999 made with all the spell effects: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=4830.0

But this is basically what l was looking for, R999 did some fantastic work compiling that thread. lt was not what l was expecting, and it's a little unfortunate some of the skills are a little laggy and they only play back the effects themselves, but there is more than l even knew existed here. Thanks a lot for this!

Quote from: Xifanie on April 21, 2019, 10:37:22 pm
What do you mean?

l meant "are you for real?" as in 'are you serious?'

Xifanie

Quote from: samnum on April 22, 2019, 01:29:51 pm
l meant "are you for real?" as in 'are you serious?'

I can has spoken English, thank you many much! You can stop dodging the question and tell me what made you say that and how you interpreted it. :p
I feel there was a misunderstanding, but I'm not going to make assumptions, y'know?

samnum

Quote from: Xifanie on April 22, 2019, 03:31:03 pm
I can has spoken English, thank you many much! You can stop dodging the question and tell me what made you say that and how you interpreted it. :p
I feel there was a misunderstanding, but I'm not going to make assumptions, y'know?

Wow... where did this come from?
Am l dodging a question? l didn't mean to say anything in any kind of condescending manner if that's how you interpreted it, l thought you didn't understand what l meant when l said 'are you for real?'

Was this supposed to be referring to my comment about 'this was not what l expected'? Because the only thing l wasn't expecting was just the graphics played out, if that makes any sense?

Nyzer

She's been wondering why you asked it in the first place; the way you phrased that line comes across as almost offended that she asked why you wanted to know. Rather than answer that, you rephrased it, which... seems like an attempt to evade the question...? It's confusing.  :|

samnum

Ohh, l'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Well, like l said in a previous comment, l wanted to record every skill in the game so l can study them all frame by frame. l intend to create a Tactics style game in the future too, so it was for reference/inspiration purposes. l just wanted to record footage of all x units using all x skills, and searching Youtube didn't return anything l wanted, so l decided to do it myself since l wanted to go through one more playthrough of the game. lt sounds psychotic, but l love this game and thought it would be a lot of fun.

l created a list from the FFT wiki of all skills in a sheet so l could check them off 1 by 1. l wanted to act as enemies because some of them simply refused to use certain skills! After l finished, l also wanted to upload the complete thing to Youtube for archival purposes (in case other people wanted to see the animations as l did), until l found out R999 did exactly that already. Hopefully this answers any confusion?

l'm sorry if my comments came off in the wrong way  :(