• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:08:05 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 5 ☢ ☢ ☢

Started by Barren, August 29, 2016, 09:46:38 pm

Barren

Yea when I tested out the matchup, I stood no chance whatsoever. GG Mudvayne, good luck from here on forward

I did make this team with little thought because I couldn't really come up with a fresh idea despite the fact that there were new things to try so I went with what worked in the past. What frustrates the hell out of me is that no matter how much I adapt to new patches or good I strive to be, I can never make a championship quality team. I know it may sound petty to some but ever since I got close to winning back in Season 1, (I almost made it to the Grand Finals), I was inspired to keep trying. And while I may have been a consistent performer I can never get that close again. Let alone win the whole tourney. My luck really turned rotten this season due to horrible matchups, bad map selection that puts my team in a heavy disadvantage, and most importantly, how dumb my AI acted in the end. I don't know if I'll enter next tourney or not. I probably just need a break from competitive team building for the time being. When I clear me head, I'll be back for sure
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Reks

Quote from: Barren on November 07, 2016, 04:48:01 am
Yea when I tested out the matchup, I stood no chance whatsoever. GG Mudvayne, good luck from here on forward

I did make this team with little thought because I couldn't really come up with a fresh idea despite the fact that there were new things to try so I went with what worked in the past. What frustrates the hell out of me is that no matter how much I adapt to new patches or good I strive to be, I can never make a championship quality team. I know it may sound petty to some but ever since I got close to winning back in Season 1, (I almost made it to the Grand Finals), I was inspired to keep trying. And while I may have been a consistent performer I can never get that close again. Let alone win the whole tourney. My luck really turned rotten this season due to horrible matchups, bad map selection that puts my team in a heavy disadvantage, and most importantly, how dumb my AI acted in the end. I don't know if I'll enter next tourney or not. I probably just need a break from competitive team building for the time being. When I clear me head, I'll be back for sure

Aside from the historical differences, this is pretty much spot on to how I've felt.

It's supposed to be all about the fun, but not doing well really puts a wrench in the gears, and I've caught myself not really wanting to keep participating.

Now don't get me wrong: I will always love Arena. But when you stare at the memcard Gen for an hour without the slightest fresh idea or even motivation to put together what normally works, you know you need a break.

So I'll make vocal my hiatus - since I just kinda vanished without a word - and while I'll participate in any form of tournament that pops up, Arena's gotta get shelved until I can come back with a fresh, ready to brawl mind.

Edit: small fixes. Phone autocucumber decided it wanted to be "helpful".
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

silentkaster

Not much to say. The best team won here. This match was little more than a formality. I'm honored to even get to the top 16. Well done, TL and good luck in the remainder.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Gaignun

Quote from: Barren on November 07, 2016, 04:48:01 am

The championship team is not necessarily the most interesting team.  Rather, it is typically the team that uses the most broken setup.  One of my favourite teams this season is CT5Holy's with its Draw Out Monk.  I wouldn't say it is the strongest team of the lot, but its use of PA-based AoE is fascinating.

Looking back on my own championship (way back in the dinosaur ages of FFT 1.3), I attribute my success to my Draw Out + Abandon Wizard.  That thing was broken af: its low HP and stupidly high evasion made it an AI trap.

Then, in FFTA season 1, I made it to the championship round on the strength of a Holy spamming Bard.  Back then Holy pierced M-Ev.  Little wonder Holy got nerfed during the following patch!

After awhile, spellgun spam was the dominant strategy.  Didn't we have a single class tournament a year or two ago in which spellgun-toting mediators and chemists cleaned house?

The nice thing about the current tournament is that every player is guaranteed six matches in spite of performance.  I was originally going to try a stupid 15 SP Jump spam strategy before chickening out and putting all my chips on Chirijiraden and Raise 2 (again).  If we have another Swiss tournament in the future, I think I need to be more stupid.

It is always nice to see your teams, Barren, but I understand the value of a break.  Hopefully there will be a new patch with a new box of toys to play with when you return.

Barren

Thanks for your words Gaignun, I do appreciate your thoughts and perspective on the whole thing. I'll do my best to not let it bring me down any further than it did.

At least I know I didn't completely suck this tourney but I did cringe in seeing my team in such a disadvantage I felt powerless. With that said, I didn't really put any thought into the team to begin with because I couldn't think of anything interesting for the tourney despite new stuff already being introduced.

And to be honest, I should have tried to experiment more but I went with what worked for me in the past. Maybe when the next patch is released I'll think of more new things to incorporate builds that I can make work despite others turning the other cheek
You dare cross blades with me?

Mudvayne

I totally thought you were going to turn that around and make it go 3 rounds there at the end. Sorry things ended for you this way. GG man.

CT5Holy

I though it was quite amusing that we fought on Bariaus Valley both matches. But anyways this isn't really a spoiler, we all knew what was going to happen =P
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Shintroy

Some day my people will be free.

Gaignun

Commendations to the hosts and contributors for persevering through this tounament to the bitter end.  You are the real champions.

This was the longest FFTA tournament of all, wasn't it?  To think we opened registration in the summer...

Heroebal

November 21, 2016, 12:53:27 am #172 Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:14:34 am by Heroebal
Great thanks to the video hosts and tournament help. It was fun tournament.

Congratulations to Gaignun for winning the tournament (that ninja is brutal) and good job on Mudvayne/Truelight/Shintroy on placing 2nd/3rd/4th. For how my team I feel I improved from last year's run and I had a feeling synth would avenge his lost from earlier in the tournament in this rematch. I think my team got a little lucky against positioning itself in the maps better in the earlier match against him.

Edit: If FFH Olympics looks similar it's b/c I basically made a last second rehash of The Hype is Real...
I was original trying to make 1.4 version of Windly Embrace but I scrapped it at the last minute b/c I didn't feel it would be balanced enough to face the various different teams.

Mudvayne

Quite embarrassing to lose 0-3 in the finals. GG Gaignun, your team dominated me. I am absolutely amazed that I made it all the way to the finals though, I never though this team would go that far! Excellent tournament all in all and thank you to all the hosts for all your hard work recording.

CT5Holy

Top 8 stats:

Primary:
Geomancer - 4
TM - 6
Chem - 2
Lancer - 2
Monk - 3
Scholar - 2
Ninja - 2
Oracle
Bard