• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:48:24 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Possible to make the Jump command Fast or Instant?

Started by Steiner, August 09, 2016, 12:11:45 am

Steiner

So, I've been modding WOTL for a while now, and have been able to alter most jobs to meet my needs. That being said, I love the Dragoon class, but I HATE how slow the Jump skill is. I've tried using FFPatcher and unchecking the evade w/ motion box on jump skills, but every time an enemy moves, and that is EVERY TIME, the jump misses. It sucks because the enemy always moves. So is there a way to make Jump instant or at least faster? I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer.
  • Modding version: WotL

Steiner

Xifanie

Well, it would be an extremely simple ASM hack to make, but it would still be an ASM hack... in WotL. I don't hack WotL, so even if I made a hack for the PSX version, I couldn't guarantee its compatibility in WotL.

I really wish the game would just let you see when the action would resolve... just like it does for every other action in the game. :/

This seems to be the routine in question (PSX): http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Jump
From what I see, it would be a simple matter of replacing
00195ad0: sb r2,0x0001(r16) with sb r0,0x0001(r16)

This should make the jump action take place immediately. You would still be unable to Move after the action, though.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

The CT on Jump is kind of supposed to be the "cost" of the move, which is why it doesn't have an MP cost, can go up to eight panels away, AND deals bonus lance damage... all while leaving your character invulnerable during the Jump.
As a rule of thumb, never use it on an enemy whose CT is higher than 50 unless you're sure that your Jumper is that much faster than them.

Evade With Motion has nothing to do with tracking the enemy after they move. That feature comes in a different checkbox, which isn't available for Jump skills.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Steiner

I ended up using the patcher to just increase the speed values of the Dragoon class to speed up the Jump sequence. It worked out well and makes enemy Dragoons a lot more dangerous as well.