• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:51:05 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Is there an easy way to change sprites to 16 color?

Started by A Blood Red Fox, March 25, 2014, 06:07:17 pm

A Blood Red Fox

I've been trying to turn a sprite to 16 color so I can import it as a formation sprite... I was looking at Celdia's tutorial but I'm finding that aspect of it rather confusing. Is there a simpler way to do it? Or a simpler description at least? Perhaps Photoshop has an easier way to do it? Sorta lost.   :?

Angel

In Photoshop:
Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color
Change '256' to '16', and make sure 'Forced' is set to 'None'.
After, change Palette to 'Custom...' and set black as the very first color if it isn't already.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

Not sure what you mean, Celdia's tutorial is completely cut and dry, there is no reason you should have a sprite that is NOT 16 colors.
If its in JPEG format or has been previously it won't work at all.

But if using GraphicsGale:
-All Frames tab
-Color Depth
-Type A
-Format 8bpp
-Hit okay.

You are still going to need to follow Celdia's tutorial if you are editing formation sprites though, as the sprite and portrait have 2 different palettes.

A Blood Red Fox

Okay, well, I'm still getting the same issues as before. I attempt to change the sprite from 256 colors, to 16 colors, since it will not accept it. It's telling me it's not a 16 color bitmap.

It has not been a jpg previously.

Edit: I re-did it, and changed it to 16 color in photoshop and it imported this time... but with this happening.

Also, if I attempt to copy the sprite over an exported formation sprite, it seems to irreperably mess up the color - no amount of fiddling with the palette seems to be letting me restore the same colors, with details showing up that did not previously exist.

3lric

This doesn't happen if you follow the tutorial word for word. It looks like the palette was not properly imported to the image causing it to
glitch in UNIT.BIN. Did you get your frame from a screenshot as suggested in the tutorial?

You need to give the existing image from UNIT.BIN the palette of the new sprite FIRST then paste the new sprite overtop. You only copy
the first row of colors, since the other row (9) is used for the portrait.

Also for the sprite you need the "Match Pixels with Colors" box UNCHECKED
You only leave this checked for the portrait in WLDFACE.

This is all in the tutorial.

A Blood Red Fox

Okay, that makes sense. I did figure out that I misread the "match pixels with colors" as needing to be "checked" instead of unchecked. And the rest of it makes much more sense to me now. Thanks.

Sorry for being a bit dense...  :(