• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:35 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Customizing unused abilities

Started by Dormin Jake, June 19, 2008, 09:40:14 pm

Dormin Jake

June 19, 2008, 09:40:14 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
I've checked around the site somewhat aimlessly, and have so far failed to find a good list of unused abilities that I might use to make new/custom abilities from.  Does anyone have such a list lying around?  Or, if such a thing exists, could you point me in its should-have-been-obvious direction?

I know I can use things like Small Bomb for new sword skills, and that, after I shift the monster abilities around a bit, I'll have a few others to work with, but I was especially wondering about the blank slots, such as those that appear under Parasite in FFTPatcher.  I've heard that messing around with some of these blank spells result in game crashes, but which ones specifically?  

And one more question: are there any plans in motion to create an easy-to-use text editor for simpletons such as myself?  Granted, my gameplay concerns currently outweigh my aesthetic ones, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Thanks in advance for your answers, I'm very grateful.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

VincentCraven

June 19, 2008, 11:15:00 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
The most important thing to know when making new skills is that the closer the new skill is to the one being overwritten, the better.

IIRC, overwriting blank slots is okay, but most of them have the 'charge magic' animation right before and if it hits more than 1 unit, it usually slows down.  Usually if you add a suitable animation the game won't crash. Sorry, but I know nothing of a list that would help you.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Asmo X

June 20, 2008, 12:17:16 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I have overwritten blank slots before with new skills, using non-battle effects and they have worked more or less fine.

Dormin Jake

June 20, 2008, 12:46:16 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
I appreciate the replies guys.  That gives me some options to brainstorm.  I haven't been able to get in there and test each ability myself, so that'll help when I can get back to my home computer.

Just to be clear, if I customize a blank to be similar to a preexisting ability, I should be okay as long as I check all the same flags and give it a reasonable effect, yes?

An unrelated question: are knockback effects usable in other abilities, or are they hardcoded into Dash, Throw Stone, and crit Attacks?  I can't seem to find it listed as a status or as a part of a damage formula, so I'm going to assume this is the case.

Archael

June 20, 2008, 01:27:07 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
IIRC the 37 ( Dmg_Rdm(1..Y)*PA) formula knocks back, but if I'm wrong, then it's hardcoded to those  2 ability slots, I've never tested it

things with immortal flag are immune to it  :arrow:   :!:

Nevarie

June 20, 2008, 02:44:57 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nevarie
Did a quick test and what Voldemort7 said works fine.

Side note: wave fist without the weapon strike using that formula is hilarious. its like a telekenetic pimp slap.

Dormin Jake

June 20, 2008, 12:35:20 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Quote from: "Nevarie"Did a quick test and what Voldemort7 said works fine.

Side note: wave fist without the weapon strike using that formula is hilarious. its like a telekenetic pimp slap.

I am currently really digging that idea.

VincentCraven

June 20, 2008, 04:59:48 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Oh.  I assumed it was hardcoded to the skill.  Now that I think about it, I don't remember my new Dash knocking anyone back.  Oh well, guess it's stuck doing random damage.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

FFT

July 04, 2008, 05:25:14 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFT
Quote from: "Dormin Jake"And one more question: are there any plans in motion to create an easy-to-use text editor for simpletons such as myself?  Granted, my gameplay concerns currently outweigh my aesthetic ones, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Thanks in advance for your answers, I'm very grateful.

I think the problem with changing text currently is you can't change so much without causing the game to be buggy or something.

I forgot but there is a topic talking about it but forgot which topic it was.