• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

What is a program used to read/edit fft psp ASM code?

Started by Talcall, December 21, 2019, 05:03:41 am

Talcall

I'm trying to make a mod for my game that allows chocobos, and perhaps other monster units, to wear armour at least and have a separate job wheel from human units at best. However, Since this doesn't seem to be possible using fftpatcher or lioneditor, i read about and found that an ASM hack is needed to recode the game at its fundamentals. I also have no idea where I can acquire something like this, since google isn't helping. a link to a download for a program that can read assembly code would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
""The only thing more hardcoded than FFT, is more FFT."
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall
  • Discord username: Talcall

3lric

Uh, no. You have to learn to read assembly code and code it into the game yourself. Best of luck
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

Yeah, there's almost not even any documentation for the PSP version.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

We dont use a program to ASM. You will need to learn what ASM is, how it works, and start learning the language of it and how to use it to do what you are trying to do. There is no easy way at all when it comes to ASM hacking.

Talcall

I certainly appreciate the feedback as to the difficulty but i'm still not sure where I can read the assembly code. editing the disc ISO with notepad++ doesn't work, as many of the characters are nul.
as for googling what ASM is, it's a language used by computers to assemble a program. it can only take a certain function, and a hexadecimal value for the function, ranging from A to F for each digit. I did some research before asking the main question, I really just don't know where i can access it
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Xifanie

If PPSSPP doesn't have a debugger I don't know what else you could use.

Sure, you could just convert hex to MIPS human-readable opcodes, but being unable to debug your own code for something this moderately complex to code would make you pull your hairs out. Adding armor to monsters you could probably code/debug for the PSX version then adapt the code to the PSP version. You could also make make the job wheel on the PSX version first but neither of these things are really straightforward to create hacks for, you'd likely need to edit dozens of routines for each, and space does become an issue very often... and with that many edits, you really need a debugger to figure out why something is going wrong.

And it's nothing against you personally and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but from my perspective someone asking such a simple question, as I have 15-16 years ago myself on a different board before I made FFH, will require a few years of learning and practice to accomplish these things unless you're really motivated and have a ton of free time or already have a strong background in programming, particularly low-level languages. ASM hacking for the PSP version is also exceedingly rare (it's already rare for the PSX version) so you'll probably have to learn nearly everything tool-related and WotL specific completely on your own.

BUT, if you do, you'll be able to teach others how to ASM hack WotL!
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Talcall

Oh of course! i can't believe i didn't think to check the emulator itself for a disassembly! that will certainly make future endeavours quite a bit easier, thank you.
as for starting with the PSX version, I believe that adaptation instead if learning from scratch may be far easier, so I will take your advice and start with that. thank you very much for the input!
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Talcall

Run into a new problem. I'll relay some things I've done first:
I've gone through the site's tutorial on ASM hacking, and have successfully reconstructed the fire element cure.
to help draw parallels to the psp version of the game, i thought i would boot up fftpatcher and the debugger for wotl and make the same mod to this version. only problem now is the debugger doesn't seem to have any effect on the game itself. The memory loaded on the debugger is completely blank, every byte filled with question marks and the guide to the right all blank dots.
i then tried to draw a breakpoint on cure's Y value (obtained from fftpatcher), for its default calculation, and then make the game access this value results in the game... not breaking. no breakpoint occurs and the debugger fails to read the value at this memory location. I thought maybe this would help shed light on the memory issue and it seems it has.
Is this an issue i can resolve, or is this universal and there is no solution?
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall