• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:06 am

New to Sprite Creation

Started by Enosioph, July 18, 2011, 07:03:02 am

Enosioph

Hi, I'm a newbie on creation of fft sprites!
what is the first thing (program needed) for me to get started in creating, modifying, editing, sprites like how you guys do?

:more:

Durbs

• Modding version: PSX

Lijj

Thanks Durbs for linking this person there.. at least that way he/she gets the more efficient Shishi's.. that magnifier  is super handy too.

Enosioph

Quote from: Durbs on July 18, 2011, 12:28:05 pm
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6617.0

All (ok, MOST) of what you need to know is there.

Wow, that was awesome!
Pretty much explains alotta things regards to sprite editing.
Question: what if there's this specific sprite that I have (for example Cloud sprite),

and I want this to be applied to a job (let say Squire).
using ShishiSpriteEditor it will work for my rosters, but for any enemy that I will encounter with the same opposing job (squire), will look like he/she's in all black (like a shadow figure).
Now my goal here is to make multiple color version of the exampled sprite i mentioned above for the enemies to look like the sprite that i have, but rendered through a different color, like these sets:

what should i do from here?  :more:

Lijj

Use Xifanie's palette editor and magnifixer to see what you're doing.
http://lijj.ffhacktics.com/Palette_Editor.exe

Wiz

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Enosioph

Quote from: Lijj on July 18, 2011, 08:37:42 pm
Use Xifanie's palette editor and magnifixer to see what you're doing.
http://lijj.ffhacktics.com/Palette_Editor.exe

what's this magnifixer??

Lijj

http://www.blacksunsoftware.com/screenmagnifier.html it was in 1st the link- linked so if you missed it I understand; here is a direct link.

Enosioph

July 19, 2011, 03:32:07 am #8 Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:49:39 am by Enosioph
Quote from: Wiz on July 18, 2011, 10:27:08 pm
Enosioph:

Spriting Tutorial (Adding in Palettes + Editing Formation and Pre-Battle Palettes)

Also, note what Lijj linked. Very helpful tool

damnit, you're soo very detailed in explaining the answer to my question!
thank you very much! i'll work on this now and see the results for myself :)
tnx again!!

EDIT:
btw, purple is NOT GAY! LOL

Enosioph

Okay here are new questions i have in mind, after goin through all the programs required:
FFT Patcher v.478
ShiShi Sprite Manager v.352
GraphicsGale FreeEdition
FFTEVGRP
CDmage B5

Question #1: Since I can know now how to change the coloring of the sprites, how do i now, copy/change/paste the portrait (face avatar) of the sprite since each sprite has different colors corresponding the the portrait i designed it?

Question #2:
I also have CDmage B5 ready in my system, but apparently the ISO im workin on is for the PSP (not PC) so I cant seem to find the UNIT.BIN & WLDFACE.BIN from FFT ISO. From here, what do I do?? Without these, I cant edit the sprites of the menu rosters...

Wiz

Quote from: Enosioph on July 20, 2011, 02:53:17 am
Okay here are new questions i have in mind, after goin through all the programs required:
FFT Patcher v.478
ShiShi Sprite Manager v.352
GraphicsGale FreeEdition
FFTEVGRP
CDmage B5

Question #1: Since I can know now how to change the coloring of the sprites, how do i now, copy/change/paste the portrait (face avatar) of the sprite since each sprite has different colors corresponding the the portrait i designed it?

If you follow the rest of the video tutorial onto part 2, you'll see how to change the colors of the portrait ;)

QuoteQuestion #2:
I also have CDmage B5 ready in my system, but apparently the ISO im workin on is for the PSP (not PC) so I cant seem to find the UNIT.BIN & WLDFACE.BIN from FFT ISO. From here, what do I do?? Without these, I cant edit the sprites of the menu rosters...

Can't help here other than look in the other files and perhaps you'll find it 0.o

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy doing other stuff <_<
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

MagiusRerecros

July 23, 2011, 12:53:28 am #11 Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:54:36 am by MagiusRerecros
I believe that the UNIT.BIN and WLDFACE.BIN files for the PSP version are located in fftpack.bin, which you can pull out of the iso with cdmage (I think...). Then you can extract the files from fftpack.bin using FFTPatcher, modify what you need to modify, and throw the modified files back into fftpack.bin with FFTPatcher, before throwing fftpack.bin back into the iso with cdmage.

Also, off topic, I'm glad that at this particular point in time Lijj has 999 posts :P
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Enosioph

July 24, 2011, 01:45:51 am #12 Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:54:22 am by Enosioph
Quote from: MagiusRerecros on July 23, 2011, 12:53:28 am
I believe that the UNIT.BIN and WLDFACE.BIN files for the PSP version are located in fftpack.bin, which you can pull out of the iso with cdmage (I think...). Then you can extract the files from fftpack.bin using FFTPatcher, modify what you need to modify, and throw the modified files back into fftpack.bin with FFTPatcher, before throwing fftpack.bin back into the iso with cdmage.

Also, off topic, I'm glad that at this particular point in time Lijj has 999 posts :P

i was able to extract the fftpack.bin from the ISO, but from here, wat do i do? there's no way to open this using FFTEVGRP.
why do i need to use FFTPatcher? my goal is to modify the sprites in the pre-battle roster menu.

RandMuadDib

i assume you have to extract unit.bin and wldface.bin from fftpack.bin with a program like winrar
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Enosioph

Quote from: RandMuadDib on July 24, 2011, 02:25:04 am
i assume you have to extract unit.bin and wldface.bin from fftpack.bin with a program like winrar

winrar?? i have a full version of winrar, and it doesnt unzip with it...

RandMuadDib

did you try right-click -> open with... -> winrar
to clarify, i've never done this myself, its what i would do if i were to try. i use psx because the effect slowdown on psp is too much for me to handle, and the psx is 10000x easier to modify
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Enosioph

Quote from: RandMuadDib on July 24, 2011, 11:12:14 am
did you try right-click -> open with... -> winrar
to clarify, i've never done this myself, its what i would do if i were to try. i use psx because the effect slowdown on psp is too much for me to handle, and the psx is 10000x easier to modify

"right-click -> open with... -> winrar" doesnt work, yes I have confirmed with.
it seems I cant seem to see the content of fftpack.bin.
tried converting it to iso, still cant open it through winrar, magicISO, or Alcohol.

Korangar7776

Hello.
I had the same problem before, about not being able to to see the content of of fftpack.bin
I read these steps in some other post, but I am not sure if they will work for the PSX version(they should though).
What I did was to extract the whole fftpack.bin file first from the ISO.
I had to use UMDgen to extract it because I didnt know how to use CDmage, but it should be possible with CDmage.
Also, make sure you make a new folder(name doesnt matter), as you will need it later.

After you got the fftpack.bin file, you want to see its content, and to do so you will need to use FFTpatcher for that.
In case you dont know, FFTpatcher is used to patch the ISO itself changing general values like growth multipliers from classes of what items will a shop sell and such.
But aside of that, it got a nice utility(which is what you need right now) to uncompress the fftpack.bin file.

Okay, so when you get your FFTpatcher, open it up and you will see a lot of tabs.
The first row of tabs should be something like:  [File] [PSX]  [PSP]  [About...]
Click on PSP--->Utilities--->extract fftpack.bin
After you click on extract, it will make you locate the fftpack.bin file, and just after that, it will ask you where do you want to save it.
Save it in the newly made folder I told you to make before.
After the extract is finished, you should have around 13 files in your newly made folder.
The files you wanted(UNIT.bin and WLDFACE.bin) are located in Event folder.

Now if you followed the tutorial posted before, you should know how to change the formation sprites/portraits with FFTEVGRP.
Remember that you are using an extracted version of the fftpack.bin file, so after you are done editing to your heart's content save all changes, and is time to compress it in the ISO again.
Open FFTpatcher again, and go PSP--->utilities---->rebuild fftpack.bin
You want to rebuild the whole New Folder you made at the begining, since thats is where you just edited the WLDFACE and UNIT files, so click on that folder and then yes.
After that, it will ask you where do you want to save it and to give it a name.
I dont know if the name matters, but I always name it fftpack just to be safe.
After the rebuild is done, you should have your edited fftpack.bin, so is time to put it into the ISO.
Open your ISO with any program that you use(again, I had to use UMDgen cause I dont know any other) and locate the fftpack.bin file, then replace it with the one you just build.
After that, save it as a new ISO.
This new ISO is now carrying the edited fftpack.bin so when you play with it and go into formation screen, all the changes you made with your sprites and portraits should show up. 
Sorry if the steps sound long, but I asure they arent too bad and you will get used to it.
I know I did after having to edit things I didnt liked over and over xD

Enosioph

Quote from: Korangar7776 on July 26, 2011, 11:48:35 am
Hello.
I had the same problem before, about not being able to to see the content of of fftpack.bin
I read these steps in some other post, but I am not sure if they will work for the PSX version(they should though).
What I did was to extract the whole fftpack.bin file first from the ISO.
I had to use UMDgen to extract it because I didnt know how to use CDmage, but it should be possible with CDmage.
Also, make sure you make a new folder(name doesnt matter), as you will need it later.

After you got the fftpack.bin file, you want to see its content, and to do so you will need to use FFTpatcher for that.
In case you dont know, FFTpatcher is used to patch the ISO itself changing general values like growth multipliers from classes of what items will a shop sell and such.
But aside of that, it got a nice utility(which is what you need right now) to uncompress the fftpack.bin file.

Okay, so when you get your FFTpatcher, open it up and you will see a lot of tabs.
The first row of tabs should be something like:  [File] [PSX]  [PSP]  [About...]
Click on PSP--->Utilities--->extract fftpack.bin
After you click on extract, it will make you locate the fftpack.bin file, and just after that, it will ask you where do you want to save it.
Save it in the newly made folder I told you to make before.
After the extract is finished, you should have around 13 files in your newly made folder.
The files you wanted(UNIT.bin and WLDFACE.bin) are located in Event folder.

Now if you followed the tutorial posted before, you should know how to change the formation sprites/portraits with FFTEVGRP.
Remember that you are using an extracted version of the fftpack.bin file, so after you are done editing to your heart's content save all changes, and is time to compress it in the ISO again.
Open FFTpatcher again, and go PSP--->utilities---->rebuild fftpack.bin
You want to rebuild the whole New Folder you made at the begining, since thats is where you just edited the WLDFACE and UNIT files, so click on that folder and then yes.
After that, it will ask you where do you want to save it and to give it a name.
I dont know if the name matters, but I always name it fftpack just to be safe.
After the rebuild is done, you should have your edited fftpack.bin, so is time to put it into the ISO.
Open your ISO with any program that you use(again, I had to use UMDgen cause I dont know any other) and locate the fftpack.bin file, then replace it with the one you just build.
After that, save it as a new ISO.
This new ISO is now carrying the edited fftpack.bin so when you play with it and go into formation screen, all the changes you made with your sprites and portraits should show up. 
Sorry if the steps sound long, but I asure they arent too bad and you will get used to it.
I know I did after having to edit things I didnt liked over and over xD

OMG! finally somebody finally replied to my problem!
how can i be so blind not to see this option... this all make since now, tnx for the tip my friend!!