• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:56:22 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Adding Random Encounters Using Old Story Levels

Started by JantheX, October 19, 2014, 05:14:35 pm

JantheX

So I'm not sure exactly where else to put this question, as I'm not sure exactly what I need to use to make the changes I have in mind.

I was wondering if there was a way to make the Lion War feel... well, more warlike.  It looks to me like I can go through and add more soldiers to the FFTPatcher ENTD tabs for random encounter levels that only show up later in the game (pretty much the whole map that happens after Act II), so that aspect is pretty easy to get started on, but I'd love to know if there's a way to take the stages that are only used for story levels in the vanilla version and make them spring random encounters once the storyline progresses past a certain point.  I just think it would be so cool to have a bunch of Hokuten knights attack Ramza sometimes when he steps into Lesalia Imperial Capital, or have the Black Lion Knights come after him in Bethla Garrison.

I don't know if there is a way to either

1. Add in new ETND tabs for more random encounters (strikes me as unlikely), or

2. Modify old random encounters so that some of their triggering conditions spring to the appropriate story level using the host ENTD tab when Ramza steps on the city in question.

I know that we could use either the 0x006E or 0x006F words from this list http://ffhacktics.com/instructions.php?id=B0 to track storyline progression, but I don't know anything about how the triggering conditions for ENTD tabs function.  I know Xifanie put together a spreadsheet (it's here http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10331.0;attach=13940) listing those triggering conditions and including some sort of ASM hack, but it doesn't look to me like the spreadsheet is set up to allow for editing of those conditions at the moment.  The structure of the spreadsheet would suggest that what I'm trying to do is possible, but I have no idea how to go about making the spreadsheet into something that would allow for editing and a resulting XML page the way that some of the tools floating around this forum function.

Can anybody offer me a hand with this? 

Angel

Just noticed that nobody has replied to this; I was hoping someone with more authority on the subject would do so. But since they haven't, I'll say that it isn't currently known how to add random battles to the maps that aren't already green dots. It may be possible to add random battles to the one-time maps with some work and ingenuity, but adding random battles to towns has been deemed too difficult to bother with at the moment. Random battle conditions aren't even fully understood, as far as I know. It's been a case where the more is learned, the more what used to be known turns out to be untrue.

Since nobody is currently exploring the why and how for the moment, this is something that may not be possible for the foreseeable future.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?