• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:14 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

I require help or information on adding jobs.

Started by TheMexicanSpider, October 14, 2014, 01:35:37 am

TheMexicanSpider

October 14, 2014, 01:35:37 am Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:06:13 pm by TheMexicanSpider
I would love to make a remake for Final Fantasy Tactics. Nothing serious but just for me and my friends to play, and if it turns out OK, release it for others to play and enjoy. I was so amazed by the extremely cool hack, Journey of 5, that it enticed me to make a hack as well. I want to add some new classes but not overwrite the main ones. I know how to add and change sprites, but I do not know how to add another class. I do not know if anyone will respond but I decided to just go to the forums and type away. Thank you!
"Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof."

Pride

You cannot add more jobs to the job wheel for generics. You can create new unique base jobs for special units but they won't be accessed by generics.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Neonseraphim

will you be able to provide the links to how to add a unique job class to the game, I'm interested in that as well.

TheMexicanSpider

wow that was a quick response. Sorry I didn't get back so soon. I thought it would take days. What I wanted to do was make the Holy Knight and the Dark Knight appear on the wheel, then make Cids class available after mastering both of them. I saw a picture that my friend sent me and it make me hopeful. It was like every class in the game on the job select wheel. anyways, thanks!
"Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof."

Jumza

Quote from: TheMexicanSpider on October 17, 2014, 07:58:46 pm
It was like every class in the game on the job select wheel. anyways, thanks!

This is possible with a tool called RAD (I think), I don't know how it works, but if you search it up on the forum I bet you could figure it out.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

You can sort of add new jobs to the wheel (by replacing unused jobs) with RAD, but they don't behave as you'd expect. They're bound to an accompanying base job, so whatever you unlock in the designated base job will unlock an accompanying ability in the added job.

In other words, imagine if learning Throw Stone in Squire also caused you to learn Hi-Potion as a Chemist.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

TheMexicanSpider

so, its just really unstable and I should probably not temper with it? lol

3lric

Quote from: Toshiko on October 17, 2014, 09:55:02 pm
In other words, imagine if learning Throw Stone in Squire also caused you to learn Hi-Potion as a Chemist.

AFAIK this is not correct. RAD does piggyback on another job, but I believe it's only that jobs JP. Not anything to do with abilities or
anything like that.

TheMexicanSpider

O ok then that's fine with me. It probably wont be that noticeable unless you are really paying attention anyways. Thanks!

JantheX

I realize that you've marked this as solved, but if you're feeling brave, this is what you would do to accomplish that hack (mod?).  I'm new here, but I've been using RAD as a key part of my hacking experience since April of this year, so I can help a little.

You absolutely can use RAD to do what you want to do, but it is going to be a slow process.  Go download it here and look around the spreadsheet so what I'm talking about makes some sense to you.  http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7031.0;attach=7988.

First off, and this one is easy, RAD won't let you attach "mastered" as a prerequisite, but it will allow you to set a job level as a prerequisite.  Since job level is determined by JP, and JP is how you learn the skills to make the little "mastered" star show up, it's pretty close to the same thing.  Just do the math and pick the appropriate job level.

The issue with skill learning overlap is explained pretty well by PokeyTax here in his second post down the page http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7031.40).  If you play around with the FFTPatcher you'll see what he's talking about with skills and slots.  On the off chance that you don't have the FFTPatcher Suite yet, it's here. http://ffhacktics.com/downloads.php?id=29. The remaining drawback, which you can't undo with clever positioning in the FFTPatcher, is that your new job will come with as much JP as its "host" job has earned.  I'd recommend using the Dancer, Bard, and Squire as your "host" jobs for the Dark Knight, Holy Knight, and Holy Swordsman jobs, as they will be unlikely to cause problems for you on this front.  Additionally, since it is impossible for units to otherwise have levels in both Dancer and Bard, adding level requirements from these host jobs to unlock Holy Swordsman will not cause the class to be accidentally unlocked prematurely.  After you set up RAD to tie your new jobs with their appropriate host jobs and set up your job prereqs for unlocking them, you should pick the sprites that you'll be replacing with whatever you want these jobs to look like.

This step, more than anything else, might be what persuades you not to pursue this.  You'll have to find existing sprites that the game was using and make them look totally different.  This, in turn, may require you to go through the game and remove people from the game so that you don't have really bizarre cut scenes and or battles as a result.  Alternately, you could just make your new classes look exactly like existing people, but again, that could feel weird to you.  Another decent option- make a class appear unisex and steal one half of their old sprites.  Of course, that will require you to make sure the other half doesn't appear in the game somewhere via the ENTD tab of the FFTPatcher.

Once you've made your choice, you'll go into Shishi (it's part of the FFTPatcher Suite), find the section that has the sprite you are replacing, and import your shiny new sprite.  Once it's imported it's done, no need to look around for a save button because there isn't one.

Then the crappy part.  You have to go through the experience of replacing formation sprites, because despite the battle sprites being handled beautifully by Shishi, formation sprites are just the pits.  Follow Celdia's tutorial here http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6702.0, which will require you to google and download graphics gale, download CDMage http://ffhacktics.com/downloads.php?id=7, and FFTEVGRP http://ffhacktics.com/downloads.php?id=14.  Sidenote, CDMage is only going to work for you if you're trying to set this up to be played via PSX. 

And then you're done!  I realize you may no longer be interested in trying this, given that you've marked the thread as "answered," but I thought I'd at least try to outline what it would require for you.

Angel

That is an awesomely helpful post, and I am glad you are a member here.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

TheMexicanSpider

I have to thank you so very much JantheX! This is exactly what I wanted to do. I marked this as solved because I thought I had gotten my answer already. This is fantastic! I think it will help a lot of people including me!