• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:12:10 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT Arena Beta Tournament - Discussion and videos here!

Started by FFMaster, January 14, 2011, 04:19:22 pm

The Damned

Hunh. I thought I had commented on Gotwald's matches. However, then I remembered that I declined to since there's nothing more I can say about that team that I haven't already said given that it's an old team and the only one that wasn't made just for this tournament.

Nice to see someone else consider (incidentally) whoring Blindness, if only alongside Death Sentence and Dead. Maybe people will use Carbunkle...nah.

If it wasn't for that Charm or the Scholar being such an idiot (and apparently having no way to refill his MP; no Angel Song, really?), then I'm pretty sure that Barren would have lost this round. Not much else to say besides that outside of the male Thief getting hit by everything and the female Thief dodging everything.

Wiegraf's AI was...really weird here. I've said this literally dozens of times, but it's like every time I think I understand the AI, it does something completely off-wall that contradicts something it should normally do.

Otherwise, this match was pretty "lulzy" due to all the AI stupidity and things like that. Hax isn't needed for a match to be funny (outside of evading Secret Fist for three straight minutes).

Man, 07% chance to hit. Haha....

Outside of that, I was pretty cynical when the Scholar got Charmed the first time since he was basically on the enemy team already with his poorly aimed Bios and such.

For the record, I wasn't aware that Bad Luck could follow people; I don't like that considering it's unable to be dodged in the first place (unless you Jump).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

I didn't take Angel Song because his focus was to primarily Quicken the slow Paladins and only defend himself with Bio when things got bad. Shame he didn't work properly, like he did in practice...
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

The Damned

(No real point using spoilers if we're not talking about outcomes.)

Too bad the AI goes by proximity more than "when things get bad", especially since we've all seen how dumb it acts in Critical.

Out of curiosity, who/what did you test it/practice against?

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

I tested it against the other teams provided in the Memory Card generator. Part of the reason I think that failed is because they're built off of an older version of Arena, but meh. I had a lot of luck on the bigger maps, where the enemy and I were spread far apart, and my Scholar hated using Bio. Not sure what changed, but something did.

And by "when things get bad", I meant when they got close. I expected them to use Bio when enemies got close, but I didn't expect them to target in a way that would get my own units... and it's even worse when my own units walk into the line of fire. :P
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

The Damned

Yeah, it was kind of odd that they decided to whore Throw Stone only when Bio wasn't going off, though a lot of time Bio just got redirected by the Thief it was cast upon before it went off anyway.

It's kind of sad that to see people use Lore's other skills and see that they seem to suck.

Celdia

I almost died laughing at the Esuna in Round 3. That was the unluckiest Geomancer in the history of FFT.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

FFMaster

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Celdia

I knew HP Restore would be my bane. I'd hoped it wouldn't finish me so soon though. If that Monk had been built in any other way, I'd be moving forward. Amazing match, Zaen.

FFM, I want it stated here that I am officially sorry for subjecting you to recording and attempting to commentate that. At least you won't have to deal with it again.

Barren

interesting strategy with the hp hitting dancers with 2 mimes....too bad it didnt pay off
You dare cross blades with me?

Eternal

I'd like to see a team like Celdie's in a 1.3 playthrough and see how far it gets. It seems like it'd be devastating.

The Damned

From, what, Chapter 1? It'd probably get stopped at Queklain.

Also, as I asked on Youtube, can we just change "Wiznaibus" to "With Knives" already, FFMaster? Like with "Oberisk", it's just kind of noisome to see the Engrish still around.

Oh, and thank you for running things promptly as always.

Looked for to this match only see Monks be bullshit again. Great.

"Ironically", I'm pretty sure that Celdia would have been even closer to winning if it wasn't for the recent HP boost that Monks got due to Paladin needing a nerf. Outside of that, I believe Iron Boots screwed over the team almost as much as HP Restore did; they seem really unnecessary.

As also said on Youtube, I thought that With Knives did more damage than that. Still did its job this match, though that might mostly because the Mime killed the Monk this round.

As also said on Youtube, you'd think that AI would know to avoid 2H+ water, but no....

Anyway, this is the match where we see even more that Iron Boots screwed over the team given that first initial blunder with the Mime.

Sigh. HP Restore...I fucking hate that reaction. I literally blared "fuck you!" at the screen the last time it went off this round because Celdia would have won otherwise. Alas, such is Monk's bullshit and With Knives' many follies.

I really wish there was a way to make it only go off once; same with Dragon Spirit, though that's a lesser evil, especially without being able to spam Elixir A.I. 1.3.

Still, an interesting match, if only because Item wasn't once throughout the three matches, much less spammed.

Eternal

Celdie and I decided on Iron Boots so that the AI wouldn't rush forward with the Dancer, particularly on smaller maps. And it gave the Dancers a tad more surviveability.

Not that it mattered in the end.

The Damned

Oh, I know why the Iron Boots were there. I'm just saying that they did more harm than good, especially considering Celdia's team compared to yours.

I mean, I was one of the first people to use Iron Boots, so I know why you would use them (and why you shouldn't use them most of the time).

Celdia

You can obviously see the intent of my team though. Put it up against someone that isn't using HP Restore (I believe there are several in the bracket) and just watch units fall like sheaves of wheat.

The Damned

Oh no. I totally see the intent of your team, which is why I was looking forward to and why I was rooting for it. Otherwise I wouldn't have had that outburst that I mentioned.

I just feel like Iron Boots ended up screwing you over more than anything else, especially since it made your Secondaries completely pointless. (Arguably, those particular same secondaries would be pointless anyway.)

Celdia

I think the boots were a solid choice and I stand by them. I was going for a team that removed as many variables from the AI's consideration as possible. The Dancers had two skills, the latter of which was never used because it HAD no use. Mimes don't have a lot of choices except where to stand. Zodiac compatibility was completely removed by use of Serpentarius. It was all calculated almost literally down to the number. But sometimes there is just no accounting for the AI itself, try though we might.

FFMaster

As a heads up. I'm likely not going to do videos tomorrow. I feel kind of sick.

The Damned

January 20, 2011, 07:54:43 am #77 Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:11:33 pm by The Damned
I hope you feel better, FFMaster. Take your time resting up.

(Time. I meant "time".)

FFMaster

Avalanche

Quote from: FFMaster on January 22, 2011, 06:18:25 pm
Skip Sandwich vs DomieV
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3

Guns always display the dmg for lvl 1 spells, if lvl 2 or 3 is cast, the dmg its higher