• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:27 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Skill and Weapon Formulas

Started by Misaki, December 13, 2018, 10:52:29 pm

Misaki

So, like everyone here, I love playing FFT mods, but it's kinda rare to find mods with something like a spreadsheet listing skill and weapon formulas, which is very sad for me since I really love to make calculations and stuff while I'm playing.
On to the question: is there a convenient way to extract the formulas from mod patches? My knowledge when it comes to modding is close to 0.
Thanks in advance!  :D
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

The FFTPatcher shows all ability formulas. There are so few weapon formulas no one ever bothered incorporating them into the Patcher but I'm sure they're listed on a wiki somewhere.

Misaki

I was kinda lost using FFTPatcher, since all the skills are named after the original game, even though they were completely edited by the modders. Using FFTacText I was able to understand stuff properly. Thanks!

Nyzer

Yeah, you'd need to edit the names in the Patcher since it doesn't draw from the game's text at all. And most people don't bother.

3lric

That or acquire the resources.zip used in creating the mod, from the mod creator, those you may not be able to get some of those, like from JoT5. The author of that mod is prettt strict about not giving out the resources.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

Yeah, and I heard he's an admin on some obscure forum somewhere, where he bans people left and right just for being new.

What a jerk.

Misaki

I'm better at using the programs now, but I still haven't figured out what happens here:

This one's Envenom, from the Enchanter in Celdia Patch (which is a weapon-based skill)

And then this is Hex (from the Enchanter as well)

Comparing the Enchanter skills in the game, it looks like the difference between the Y variables changes the skill damage in about 10 points (this value probably depends on the weapon I'm using).

Finally, this is the damage formula for the weapon I'm using (Pisces vs Pisces situation - no Zodiac effect):
A basic attack causes 64 damage.
Envenom deals 40 damage.
Hex damage is 50.

At first, I thought that the skill would just use the weapon formula and that's it, but looks like the Y variable is changing the result quite a lot.
And now, after all the dumb stuff:
Is there a way to retrieve this '(blank)' value?   :lol:

Nyzer

Celdia probably inserted a custom formula into that slot. An ASM likely exists for it somewhere; check her patch notes & topics to find out.

Misaki

I thought that custom formulas would appear as usual but looks like Link's Fire/Ice/Light Arrows (Journey of the 5) also have a custom damage formula (blank). I'll search for the ASM then, thanks  :D

Raijinili

Default weapon formulas don't appear in FFTPatcher because they are hardcoded, and changing them requires ASM hacks.

Individual weapons' formulas can be changed in FFTPatcher. In fact, all vanilla Guns and Magic Guns don't use the default formulas.