• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:43:22 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Sugnuf's Translation (Working Title)

Started by Magic Gladii, April 30, 2018, 06:16:21 pm

Magic Gladii

Final Fantasy Tactics: Sugnuf's Translation

This mod is essentially a glorified text edit. It implements Sugnuf's Translation of the original Japanese text into the game's events. I also plan to rewrite the tutorials, the Brave Story, 'SELECT' hint dialog, menus and any other piece of text I can get my hands on.

(This spoiler will gradually be filled over time as I progress)

- Chapter 1 Events -> Complete!
- Chapter 2 Events -> Complete!
- Chapter 3 Events -> Written, currently being tested...
- Chapter 4 Events -> Written, to be tested...
- Everything Tactext -> In progress...
- Everything Image-based -> In progress...

All credit goes to Sugnuf for this translation of the original Japanese text.
Final Fantasy, and Final Fantasy Tactics are copyrights of Square-Enix Inc.

The translation may be found here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/faqs/48627

Any and all criticism, suggestions, bug reports, etc. are encouraged and greatly appreciated.

That being said, here is a (slightly broken) demo of Chapter 1:

To apply this patch, insert a *clean* Final Fantasy Tactics image file and the .ppf file into ppf-o-matic3.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

I'm just gonna say this - if I were you, I would very strongly avoid changing established character names where possible. In some cases, it makes sense (changing "Butz" to "Bartz", for obvious reasons), but in general it should be avoided. We don't need a third possible name for Delita's sister.

The Lucavi demons are an interesting option. Their original PSX names don't match with what later became the standard, but you could certainly argue that they're supposed to be derivative - that they're corrupted versions of the true spirits.

While I certainly prefer some PSP names over the PSX ones, I honestly believe that none of them should have been changed at all. It doesn't add anything, and just serves to annoy the people who were used to the originals.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Magic Gladii

I do agree. As of right now, everything I have done keeps the original PS1 names intact. Besides names, this mod follows Sugnuf's script with only a few minor changes.

I still haven't decided on what do do with the Lucavi job titles though...

Angel

If it were me, I'd make two patches - one with PSX names, and the other with WotL names.

But my honest opinion is that the PSX names should be kept across the board, minus the Lucavi (you have no idea the luminance of the lightbulb that went off over my head when I realized 'Queklain' was supposed to be 'Cuchulain') and Lettie (which is a real name; Lede is not).
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Magic Gladii

May 03, 2018, 04:51:22 pm #4 Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:09:26 pm by Magic Gladii
Actually, the names in the survey are from Sugnuf's translation, not WoTL. Some of the names are similar if not identical to those in WoTL.

I could make two seperate patches though.

**edit for context: I created a survey to ask about people's preferences about the names of characters. This has since been removed from the original post.**

Heisho

I think i came late to this party but I was actually planning on doing this at some point and found this tread it by accident.
Regarding the names, I believe a mid point between PSX and PSP could be nice, however deciding that point could be long debate. About
the armies, what about using the Aquilor, Austerion, Favonus and Vulturnus names, although I believe the western army is never mentioned.

Well my two, late, cents.
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

Magic Gladii

As of right now, I've kept most of the PSX character names. I really only changed the names of the Lucavi demons, following what is now the standard.

I've avoided using 'Aquilor' and 'Austeron' because they are not really a direct translation of 'Hokuten' and 'Nanten.' I've stuck with the original names here as well.

There definitely is no mention of any Knights of the Western Skies, but I don't recall any mention of the Knights of the Eastern Skies either... Or maybe there is in Rumours? I never really paid too much attention to them because some are... difficult... to read

Heisho

The Eastern Sky army is also known as Touten in the PSX version. It was the army where Gaffgarion belonged before being expelled due excesive force.
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

Adhelbert

Hello Magic Gladii and congrats in advance for your efforts.

Personally, i liked this translation, how Sugnuf approached this matter, made it much desirable for me to beat this game once again. Also, My Opinion: i would stick to translate the story dialogues only and ignore fixing typos and other fftactext-related stuff, unless you are planning to translate the whole game text.

I don't know if there is much to contribute with or if there is something i could help you with but what i really wanna see is this project pinned as a complete project.

Thanks again.

Magic Gladii

Unfortunately, I'm not able to translate the rest of the Japanese dialog. At the moment, I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to the rest of the story-related text (Brave Story, Rumors, etc).

Everything I have re-written thus far (besides events) is related to the game's mechanics. Some of the game's help messages and explanations are.. less than helpful, and I personally don't think an exact translation is required here.

If anyone knows of the existence of accurate translations for the rest of the game's dialog, I would very much appreciate being made aware of them.

Chronosplit

August 27, 2018, 03:59:29 pm #10 Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:23:36 pm by Chronosplit
Quote from: Magic Gladii on June 06, 2018, 09:06:24 am
Unfortunately, I'm not able to translate the rest of the Japanese dialog. At the moment, I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to the rest of the story-related text (Brave Story, Rumors, etc).

Everything I have re-written thus far (besides events) is related to the game's mechanics. Some of the game's help messages and explanations are.. less than helpful, and I personally don't think an exact translation is required here.

If anyone knows of the existence of accurate translations for the rest of the game's dialog, I would very much appreciate being made aware of them.
Sorry for the late quote, but though I would not call these 100% accurate and I'm unsure just how much it could be of use, if it helps I have a patch for most of the menu terms: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11313.0

Feel free to use whatever you wish if any of this is of use to you.

Neophyte Ronin

Quote from: Magic Gladii on June 01, 2018, 08:54:46 am
I've avoided using 'Aquilor' and 'Austeron' because they are not really a direct translation of 'Hokuten' and 'Nanten.' I've stuck with the original names here as well.

There definitely is no mention of any Knights of the Western Skies, but I don't recall any mention of the Knights of the Eastern Skies either... Or maybe there is in Rumours? I never really paid too much attention to them because some are... difficult... to read

The profile for Gafgarion claims he used to serve in the "Touten" Knights, which is Japanese.  Translating that means he served in the "Order of the Eastern Sky" before getting kicked out for rough play.  If we consider Aquilor/North Sky and Austeron/South Sky as literal compass directions since medieval maps always posited North as the left-most point and South was at the right (the climates are radically different as a result--look up the rumor about bad harvests and their causes, or carefully examine the terrain featured in either region), then Gafgarion hails from Fovoham, renowned for mercenaries and adventurers by proxy of Archduke Barrington, who hired them to represent him in the previous war.  This also explains why Ramza knows anything about the Archduke without being told and can even reason out his ambitions while conversing with Rafa--he initially fled to Fovoham, joined Gafgarion's service, and learned the ropes over the span of a year before the events of the game proper.  That also tells you why you don't get to dispatch units to jobs in Chapter 1--not only is it a flashback, but he wasn't doing anything of the sort back then.

As for Western Sky Knights, they could be termed as either the Zephyrs (west wind, yo) or as the Gryphons because Beowulf used to be in charge of a unit in Lionel before getting branded.