• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:43:19 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Sugnuf's Translation Patch?

Started by Magic Gladii, April 24, 2018, 02:53:09 pm

Magic Gladii

I was wondering if a patch has been previously posted that exclusively changes the game's dialog to that of Sugnuf's translation. If it doesn't, this will likely be my next project.

A quick search of the forum using 'Sugnuf' as the search term doesn't return any results, but there might be something I missed. Thanks!

(P.S. It's been a while since I was last here, I've got some reading to do...)
  • Modding version: PSX

Angel

It was once something I wanted to do, but then it shifted into wanting to do my own translation, which then became having no free time to do either while working on other things... But no, to my knowledge, nobody's done it yet.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Elric

I thought about doing it at one point, until i read it and realized i hated it xD

Magic Gladii

I'll take it on then. :P

I plan to keep the PS1 names (I mean come on, who would choose "Knights of the Northern Sky" over "Hokuten Knights"?). Or I could create a poll and get people to vote...

Probably not my business, but... what is it you didn't like about it?

Elric

You might be discouraged by poll results as we are a very small community.

Personally, i grewup with the psx translation and i love it, every derp is what feels right to me. The translation you speak of just felt a bit contrived at times, to me, and a bit too serious. Its been 5 or 6 years, so id have to read it again to know what actually put me off on it.

If this is something you are serious about doing, then you need to realize that you will be editing every single existing event script, i hope you are prepared for something like that lol

Magic Gladii

Even 3-5 responses would be more than enough to decide.

I feel the same about the original translation. However, I am surprised about the immense number of plot details I missed considering how many times I've played through the game. :P

I am fully aware of the amount of time I would need to commit to this... I just need to relearn event editing.

Are there other translations I can use for Tutorials, Brave Story, Spell Quotes and all of the SELECT menus? Sugnuf's only covers the story and sidequest events.

Angel

You're pretty much on your own for those. WotLese is wildly inaccurate for proper nouns, but the text translation isn't inaccurate, it's just grossly obfuscated. But that still leaves spell quotes untranslated.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

dotchan

My opinion is: fix the blatant typos/bad translations (Dycedarg's Elder Brother, Bracelet, Wiznaibus, whatever the hell Rafa really meant when we fought in Yuguo Woods, etc.), leave everything else alone.

Part of it is nostalgia, but I definitely prefer the casual Modern English of the original.  It has more immediacy to me than the faux Shakespearean whatever that is the WoTL, which sounds more like a bunch of Ren Faire enthusiasts doing a reenactment (that fits the framing story, sure, but it still feels hokey).

Magic Gladii

I've already started working on this mod. You can find the WIP thread here: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11984.0

This mod has nothing to do with the WotL script. Its a completely separate translation of the original Japanese text. It can be found here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/faqs/48627