• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:16:15 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

A momentous occasion (considering I am the one to mark it)

Started by Angel, March 21, 2016, 11:02:23 pm

Angel

I've done a fair bit of testing of ePSXe 2.0, and provided you stick to the packed in plugins (or optionally, GPU BladeSoft), I can't fault it as heavily for the purposes of playing FFT as I used to. The default video plugin is slow, but lovely on capable machines. BladeSoft is also progressing nicely, and brilliant to use if (currently) you like native console display resolution, but better. The hacked Pete's plugin is much faster than the former two, but don't look at me if you have visual issues (I can still make it break in each Final Fantasy).

I haven't tested each and every ASM or patch known as working elsewhere, but ePSXe 2.0 has surprised me in general. It's still very much discouraged for testing ASM, but I won't fault anyone using it for just wanting to play the game or the mods offered here. I've done a lot of testing not just with FFT, but with 200~ other PlayStation games since its release, and I can only recommend Mednafen or PCSX-R over it on the grounds of utmost accuracy at the core; the visual result is currently superior on ePSXe, and I can't break it as easily as I used to. In the realm of ASM, Mednafen still reigns supreme, and PCSX-R still holds a higher seat, but I'm done dissing ePSXe as long as you're on 2.0 or above. It really did improve that much in the last release.

tl;dr - ePSXe is no longer a naughty word here as long as it's version 2.0 or greater.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Jumza

Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Xiphos

I've just been using PSX since somebody recommended it to me, maybe I'll try some others out. As long as I can still use my virtual memory card of course. :3

Angel

At this stage of the game, all PlayStation emulators support the same memory card formats, since they're usually just raw data. The default extensions may differ, but you can copypaste memory cards between emulators (or use a universal memory card folder for every emulator, which is what I do) without issue.

Also of note, ePSXe has a lovely feature to generate and auto-load a memory card for each individual game (PCSX-R also has this feature, but not in Windows builds yet).

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Bonesy

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Chronosplit

The Android edition is pretty darn good too, in spite of payment.  It also keeps up with latest builds fairly well.  I'll give it points for working right out of the box unlike the PC version in any rate.  :D

Angel

Oh, absolutely. We've never spoken ill of the Android version; it's one of the best PlayStation emulators available. Part of the reason ePSXe 2 improved so much over 1.9x was due to how much was borrowed from the Android version, actually.

Lijj

I can't get it to run (epsxe 2.0.2)... tried numerous ISOs and other image files. Sadly it messed up my old epsxe settings as well.
I'll have to try again later, got frustrated cause I couldn't continue playing Saga Frontier 2 on my old  version either; somehow after trying to set up 2.0.2 it made 1.9 not work either.

Angel

Funny thing is, that was my experience with either 1.8 or 1.9, I forget which. It also wiped all my memcard data.

I've yet to grab 2.0.2 since, well, I currently have nothing to play it on, but that should hopefully be fixed later today. Also, v2 only works on Windows Vista or better, so if you're still using XP, that could be the issue?

Lijj

Thanks for the reply Angel.
Ah that sucks about the memcards.. hope that didn't happen I was really into the story of SF2 (but the damn battle mode in that title is drudgery, so I can accept it if I did lose the data).
I am on Windows 8.1.. I'll troubleshoot later tonight and will post any findings here (unless I fail to figure it out and lose patience).  I could always use PSXfinal again (so easy), I just don't like the way it messes with the palettes of games.
Last attempt I got 3 errors on most ISOs and 2 on a few others.

Update: It works now.. I just had to download it again and this time I removed all the other files from other versions. Not sure why but that seemed to work; like a fresh install. Only Core GPU works, the other built in video plug-in just flickers like crazy, could be that I don't have a video graphics card. Eitherway I am happy I can play regardless.

GeneralStrife

I always used epsxe, and I never even knew there was anything wrong with it.

Elric