• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:08:46 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

ShadowDragon15

Non Conformity, man... first battle I watched... And I can safely assume right now that I am depressed. Silentkaster, I hate your status effecting barrage teams, I really do. They annoy me so much. I've figured you out though, and I'm going to make a team, just for you buddy.... lots of status resistance. However, for my side, I did not expect that bard to have so much MA. Jesus... maxing out with that Chiri was the only good thing I had going for the team. Right after your analysis, Barren, I was actually kind of hoping that because my units never moved very far, and that the mediator moved very far, that he would get too far separated, and that would be Silentkaster's downfall. But no, he held his own, much to my own dismay. GG Silentkaster.

For Strong Foundation, I wanted to use Brick as a decoy, he was slow, I realized that, so I put a ton of evasion on him, just so that He would continue to live. and then he would have a consistent chance of phoenix downing a priest.
Strategy is just magical.

Otabo

Quote from: ShadowDragon15 on February 03, 2014, 04:17:18 pm
For Strong Foundation, I wanted to use Brick as a decoy, he was slow, I realized that, so I put a ton of evasion on him, just so that He would continue to live. and then he would have a consistent chance of phoenix downing a priest.

Problem with that is - he actually won't because he effectively has 4 speed and the priests have base 8 speed (10 if hasted), meaning they'll get two turns to his one, and if they move too far away, he can't even catch up to them to attempt to do his job (especially if the map is large). Not to mention he can't get hasted. In fact, the AI won't even go for him until last because one, he has 450+ HP and two, the rest of the team consists of a Cursed Ring unit, and two squishy priests that don't do anything besides run up and get themselves killed. So the AI of course is going to go for them first. If you want a decoy, it actually needs to do something to attract the AI and make it target him. He'd probably be better off as a thief with quickening or something. If you plan to keep Item + Phoenix Blade on him, he needs a way to deal with the auto-slow and attempt to keep up with the rest of the team. It's like Barren said, Phoenix Blade is only good on certain team comps.

silentkaster

Awesome videos Barren! Thanks!

Uhm, yeah I have to agree with Barren. This was a bad match up simply because the holy team could not get past the defenses, most notably the Cursed Ring users. Also, the lack of resurrection really really hurt Dol, especially because his priest is such a high priority target for the AI.

Yeah, the knight didn't get enough turns to really be an effective item bot here. Also, Shadowdragon15 with your team...instead of a draw out priest, maybe an oracle with white magic for Unit #3 would have been better? A little more HP, good MP still and nasty status effects when she's not raising/healing. I like the idea of an immortal item bot, but it doesn't work in Arena...definitely worked well when I played Vanilla FFT since my item bot could never permanently die...but just doesn't work here unfortunately. Signs of Aging is just one of those teams where...ugh IDK...like I said, still not thrilled with it. I know it's doing decent in its matchups but yeah IDK.

LOVED your team Shadowdragon...an SCC Bard team??? KICKASS. I love it. Wish I would have thought of it first. A 20 MA draw out user with MA attack up? If he got a couple more turns in my team was toast. Yeah, I know what you mean about status, but this team was designed to be a non gender efficient team. Female warrior, male magic users...not ideal. So, they don't do damage or attacks well...what's left? Status. They have to disable you in order to be effective since virtually every team out there is going to have genders that go well with their abilities and will therefore be doing superior damage. So...just a different concept I guess. Thanks so much Barren for the compliment...really appreciated hearing you say that in your video!!

A good ole' fashioned slug fest! These teams were just back and forth...fun match to watch since both of them were swinging either way. Ninja sandbagging just couldn't keep up though with Dol's onslaught even one unit permanently down.

Shadowdragon15...I love your concepts! Have you ever watched CT5Holy's team building video though? If not, when you have some time, I highly suggest it...http://youtu.be/JjRgahY7yrg. It is over an hour long but well worth the investment. The reason is because in the video, he explains nearly every ability and equip he's giving his units and why/how he's putting it on and supporting his team. I greatly learned a lot from this video in Arena because every ability, reaction, support, and movement could win or lose a match for you by having/not having it on your team.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

CT5Holy

Thanks silentkaster, and I plan to do another one soon! :o

Hopefully the team will turn out better too, but probably not XD
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Elmdork

February 03, 2014, 09:50:35 pm #2945 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:59:44 pm by Rouroni Elmdor
this is exactly what i mean by the cursed ring completely choking out the holy equipment set. no item in the game cockblocks anything like cursed ring does to the holy element. even though the inquisitors have a relatively weak res capability, it is still more than shadow dragon's phoenix downless (not to mention potionless) item bots. i must say that a ninja scc is fun to watch though. all the sword procs can be exciting!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Elmdork

February 05, 2014, 09:53:26 am #2947 Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:03:56 am by Rouroni Elmdor
that was awesome, truelight. i watched the whole thing and loved every minute of it! Angelus has to be my favourite builder here. He balances unique/quirky units with metagame strategies that formulate teams that are both strong in the ring and true to his personality. i try my best to do that myself, but sometimes you get all quirky, no power :P

At first i thought it was strange that you pit such similar teams against eachother, but after watching them (especially the longer ones) i noticed how the whittled down teams started using their more obscure skills and the teams would wither eachother off subtly with slightly differing  ability/equip choices.

my battle: a whole lot of interesting in a short amount of time. note the time magic user not using haste immediately, but rather just moving. i wondered "why is that?" the only thing i can think of is a lore being cast disturbed her pattern and she decided to keep what little evasion she had. poor edwardus. he seems to have a soft spot for the ladies. also news to me, but lore seems to be fantastic for triggering wall/shell/protect. it's not lethal right away, but does enough to make my oracles prefer it over a cure or petrify. good to know.

summoners pilgrimage v rose red: DIE, FROG!
oh, you like frogging people? they don't call me toad for nothing.

Frog+Death is the kind of hilarious that transcends language and race.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

silentkaster

Thanks Truelight! Awesome video as usual...

Not going to comment on every one though I did see every one. My thief team was finally defeated though I suppose since it was by another thief team, thats good. It was time to make a few changes anyway :)

silentkaster

Thanks for the videos Barren!

This was fun and back and forth. Slow Dance just tears up teams like no other...two points of speed is huge to almost any unit, and many units lost more than that. Ouch...good thinking CT5Holy. Good debut match for your team!

Honestly, I just made this team to kinda prove mostly to myself that even when you use genders that don't necessarily provide the best results, it can still be an effective team. It was fun building this team since it really is a team using genders on units that aren't usually seen. TrueLight...good game. I love that you use lancers...I always struggle to use them effectively outside of pure item bot...your team gave me a few ideas for the future!

Damn, my sister's wizard just owns...thankfully for her though she doesn't get midcharged too much. I feel against a speedier team, she'd struggle quite a bit more since the wizard would be midcharged more often. But, nevertheless it was a good match...enjoyed watching!

Reks

Few new teams, though only one is made for battling you guys. Unless people wanna start up a mini-tournament where no skills are allowed, aside from a single chemist.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

TrueLight

Quote from: silentkaster on February 06, 2014, 10:34:08 pm
Honestly, I just made this team to kinda prove mostly to myself that even when you use genders that don't necessarily provide the best results, it can still be an effective team. It was fun building this team since it really is a team using genders on units that aren't usually seen. TrueLight...good game. I love that you use lancers...I always struggle to use them effectively outside of pure item bot...your team gave me a few ideas for the future!

I knew I should have given my Paladin the Gold Armor. Dude couldn't stop getting Petrified. Lancers did the damage, but worst compact against some of the units on your team didn't help. Just got too overwhelmed by status to recover. Glad my Lancers are giving you some ideas, they're my personal favorite class. GG.
  • Modding version: PSX

silentkaster

Malroth, I tried to watch the video front to back but it was hard to hear you...not just due to the buzzing sound but because the music was also about the same volume as your voice...which I am guessing you had turned down. But I did watch a decent portion :) Also, a small segment where I didn't hear anything at all? Anyway, love the team concept regardless...I am eager to see it in action.

Malroth

yeah an electrical problem with my house put a lot of feedback in my Microphone leading to the buzzing (hence why my previous videos had subtitles instead of voiceover) since the video was posted i found out that holding a bare wire connected to my computers case grounding both me and the microphone negates this so the video i make where i improve the team using the lessons i learned in their initial matchup shouldn't have this problem.

silentkaster

Thanks for the videos Truelight!
This was really a slug fest...that 2nd match...CT5Holy had it in the bag but took FOREVER to seal the deal. It reminded me of my Ladies Night Out previously where they could do every status in the book but just didn't have any offense to back up the status. I think a combo of that and maybe a few extra slow dances hitting in round 3 would have made CT5Holy the winner there. Very good teams though!

Otabo's goal here is pretty clear...disable the enemy in just about every way possible while all units have medium amounts of offense. But the lighter offense is fine because the enemy will not be able to do anything due to status/equip breaks. ShadowDragon15...I understand you want an immortal item user, but the problem is that with cursed ring users, they can only use it to cure status on themselves and possibly raise others (and several statuses like berserk, don't act, sleep, frog, etc) aren't able to be self-cured as opposed to status cure/heal themselves/raise others with non undead units. And phoenix blade users are just too slow to effectively use items well...and then unlike a player (which I would gladly give item to a unit with Always: Reraise if controlling the units myself) when they get up, they're going to run away, not revive/heal their teammates (especially thieves who have innate flee). Also...the raise 2 users with high MA really confuses their priorities...they want to go out and do damage to the enemy, but they will prioritize raise 2 over damage, which kinda negates their high MA damage dealing abilities.

Listen to me, talking like I've been doing this forever, ha ha. I by no means make perfect teams, but these were just things I noticed while building my own teams that could help you in the future :)

ShadowDragon15

I think I'm just going to scrap the immortal user, it is just not useful in the grand scheme of speed. I might scrap the entire team as well. I'm undecided. But, I do have an anti-Cursed Ring team I'm excited to showcase. Featuring CT5Holy's favorite concept, unit doubles. As is my way, but I feel that this team might be the exception. two Chaos Blade wielding monks, probably unheard of. So yeah, should be fun and exciting.
Strategy is just magical.

silentkaster

My sister posted a new team!!! Heh, I encouraged her...