• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:24:13 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT 1.3 AI Tournament Season 5 ☢ ☢ ☢ [FINISHED] Post-Discussion

Started by Wiz, May 27, 2011, 12:04:42 am

OhGodBears!

What a suspicious number of procs on a match by one of the team creators....!  Just kidding, of course! I got beat by a superior team.  Your units (ninja and monk in particular) did a great job locking down my wizard early in match 1 and then obviously in round 3 the Don't Act's sealed it.  I guess finishing in a tie for 7th spot is pretty good for a wildly one dimensional team like mine.  Live by the sword die by the sword, I guess!  I haven't watched the next match yet, but good luck fdc.  Cinderella stories are fun.

As to the Kiku debate, I'll leave that till after the tourney.  I had fun designing a team around ridiculous spike damage from Draw Out and Holy Lance but I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Good luck to all the final four teams!

Aquilae

Kiku certainly has made an impact on the tournament. 18/64 teams (if I'm counting that right) have Kiku, and that makes up only 28% of teams. However, after each round in the winner's bracket, it steadily increases to 100%. A team with Kikuichimoji wins 85% of the fights with non-Kikuichimoji teams in the Winner's Bracket.

There are significantly less Kiku teams in the Losers' Bracket, however it followed the same pattern as the winner's bracket. It also steadily increases to 100%, and a team with Kikuichimoji wins 81% of the fights with non-Kiku teams in the Losers' Bracket.

Here's a handy chart I cooked up:

So yeah, Kiku teams gradually eliminated non-Kiku teams until they were the only ones left standing, taking them down 83% of the time. I guess it does prove that Kikuichimoji teams dominated the tournament.
:gay:

Barren

Nice observation Aquilae, your chart does demonstrate well the dominance of kiku teams over non-kiku teams...it would have been a completely different tournament if kiku was allowed
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

dinosaur

Just a thought for S6 (I am writing this down so I do not forget).

Their should be mandatory music in the background for battles, or at least sound effects...

Barren

Quote from: dinosaur on July 08, 2011, 02:58:43 pm
Just a thought for S6 (I am writing this down so I do not forget).

Their should be mandatory music in the background for battles, or at least sound effects...

like music from the FFT game itself or music through the whole video, not just after the intro to the teams?

Wiz

dinosaur

July 08, 2011, 05:31:04 pm #366 Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:15:18 pm by dinosaur
Quote from: Barren on July 08, 2011, 03:20:45 pm
like music from the FFT game itself or music through the whole video, not just after the intro to the teams?

During the battles (yes past the intro). For example, FDC and (I think) Pierce had zero sound or music.  Gagnium and Wiz did the best with music and sound effects. It made it very easy to watch.

Barren

well maybe whenever we do a season 6 tournament that can be taken into consideration

dinosaur

WHYYYYY!!! Odal is my favorite team, I lurved the mom watching all her knights. I firmly believe Odal made his units VERY balanced. Abilities, supports and items all equally worked together to fit the units purpose. Much Lurv.

The Damned

(Yeah, the same for me dinosaur, though only my second "favorite". I <3 Planar Magic actually being used, though not for Frog 2. Still weirded out my too-late team apparently was the only one to even consider using a Dancer.)

As I said in the last post, I'll wait to talk about Kikuichimonji again once the tournament/season is over. I believe we all should, especially given how close the season is to being over all ready. Otherwise, the thread is just going to be swamped by us talking back and forth about something that's too late to change at this point.

I must admit, however, that I am slightly annoyed that we seem to have talked more about Kikuichimonji after the fact--having "proof" aside--than before the tournament since I'm pretty sure everyone that voted things even bothered to comment on why to allow or disallow something. Oh well. It's of little importance and I can hardly say it's surprising given the nature of the Internet; I'm also fairly sure that most of that slight annoyance stems from the fact that Kikuichimonji's overwhelming power seemed fairly obvious from the get-go, but as I said, there's time to get into that later.

Onward! With loser's...finals? Loser's Semifinals?

Wait, are we doing 3/5 for both finals? I vaguely recall that the finals for past seasons have remained as 2 out of 3.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Piercewise

July 08, 2011, 11:30:48 pm #370 Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:31:12 pm by Piercewise
Loser's Bracket semi-final!

Match 61 LOSER'S BRACKET

Was fun to be back - thanks for inviting me!
Seto: "Are you trying to tell me that Yugi and I are destined to play card games for eternity?"
Ishizu: "Yes."
Seto: "Best. Destiny. Ever."

formerdeathcorps

July 09, 2011, 08:24:21 am #371 Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:33:36 am by formerdeathcorps

Odal's biggest weakness was that he sacrificed damage and speed for tanking.  Thus, he was unable to properly exploit the low HP totals of Derevish's team or outlast the double turns.  Of course, the Muround map is very chokepoint heavy, and Player 2 almost always wins if they have earth slash, geomancy, and/or kiku.  The only squads that do well as P1 are fly/teleport/ignore height squads.  Of course, Odal must get some credit for being able to slip two knight tanks past Derevish's line, but that actually sealed his fate because it split up his squad into two groups.

Essentially Derevish had the same problem I had against AeroGP, except he did slightly more damage (and I had slightly more HP).  In both cases, our damage capacities were considerably less than AeroGP's, allowing him to wall our squads and bring up his (reserve) summoner.

For example, FDC and (I think) Pierce had zero sound or music.

Wait and see, Dino.

Wait, are we doing 3/5 for both finals? I vaguely recall that the finals for past seasons have remained as 2 out of 3.

It's still best 2 out of 3.

Overall, past Round 5 of the Loser's Bracket, most of the matches were hotly contested.  Simply doing a rematch (or having another commentator do the matches) could flip results.  The only matches that weren't close by any margin were the ones involving AeroGP.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Wiz

Wizard not being able to get 2+ panel Kiku's off R2 and R3 clinched it for fdc.

That Summoner's TANKY 0_0

Poor TM getting mid-charged by the ninja + raise casts at 7:40 = clincher for Aero

Can't wait to see Loser's Match 62 :D

Thanks for the compliment Aquilae, and thanks for commentating Barren, fdc, Gaignun (as short-lasted as it was XP) and Piercewise :mrgreen:

formerdeathcorps

The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Wiz

Those OHKO's from Jack proved to be too much in Round 1, and as for Round 2, that's just a fuck you to Aquilae w/ the Priest getting killed off the bat from damage split + counterflood. Had that not happen, I believe he would've won and moved on to a tiebreaker.

Regardless, GL taking on Gaignun Aero, you earned it :)

Edit: The finals will be put up a few days (3) at most from now and more realistically 1.5 - 2. It all depends if I can get the things needed by then :lol:

*Stares at Barren, fdc, and Kokopuffs*

Barren

July 12, 2011, 08:31:39 am #375 Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:32:21 am by Barren
Congrats to the winner of the loser's bracket! :D

Mando

LOL once again my tests prove to be wrong hahaha. I swear I have predicted the opposite for each fight this entire season! GG Winner :O

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

krilz

I firmly believe that hadn't Aquilae been so unlucky to get his priest Sleep'd in round 1 and killed right away in round 2 it would've been much closer since what clinched it was basically that the 2-swords knight had to run around ressurecting her instead of wreaking havoc.

Gl in the finals, AeroGP!

Barren

Plus whoever predicted that he will win can still come true

formerdeathcorps

To be honest, I think Aquilae was at a demonstrable disadvantage against AeroGP, regardless of in-battle luck.
1) AeroGP's squad did more lethal damage.
2) AeroGP's squad was faster and was P1.

That being said, Aquilae could have pulled even if the opening wave fist's damage in R2 wasn't damage splitted.  Then the summoner would have been KO'd by cyclops.  Regrettably, I also had a great song planned for Round 3 as well.