• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:40:34 pm

Chain weapons for ninja's?

Started by Bladegrasp1997, July 26, 2015, 07:39:35 pm

Bladegrasp1997

I've seen how weapons can be edited to have certain attributes and skills. Just wanted to know if it's possible to add new weapon types. Seeming how the polearms and fabrics have a 2 panel range, would it be possible to add chain weapons for ninja's that have the same 2 panel range? Or maybe even for the Masamune? I edited a portion of the weapons palette to show what I had in mind. Here's what I have zoomed in.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Drunkard

I'm going to try this but i'm going to used a flail's spiked ball in place of the bag and have it's strap the chain. I just started the sprite this morning so havent finished it or tested it.

Bladegrasp1997

Looks awesome man, I hope it works. I'm still trying to learn how to add stuff to the game.

Nyzer

You can only replace what's already there. Thankfully, Ninjas already have their own exclusive weapon type, so you can just throw that in there, replacing some (or all) of the current Ninja Blades.

IIRC, you don't actually need to change the weapon's type to make it function differently than the other weapons (case in point: Blood Sword), you just need to set the proper flags and such.

The hardest part would just be finding a place to insert those weapon graphics. This isn't something I have any familiarity with, but you'd probably have to replace an existing set of weaponry graphics for that.

I'd suggest the axes and flails, personally. In vanilla they're half useless and half unused (none of the classes use them as a main weapon and most of them can't even use them at all). Change them in the Patcher to a different kind of weapon, or just dummy them out, and you've got their graphics all freed up for whatever you want to implement.

Bladegrasp1997

Would all 16 areas of the weapon effect palette need to be edited in the same area based on the weapon replaced or just one specific color scheme? If just one set needs to be edited, would it be possible to add a custom weapon effect for every section based on the weapon you are trying to create?

Nyzer

If it's only one file, changing the palette wouldn't significantly change the base image, unless some parts of the image are blocked out with duplicate colors in the same palette. (i.e. a pattern down the blade of a sword uses a duplicate color in Palette 1 to be "invisible", but the color slots are filled with different colors in Palette 2, so the pattern appears). It's not a very practical approach in general because it forces you to limit your colors.

3lric

The image is the same image for all palettes. You can only change the color. If you change one image, you change it for all palettes. They aren't 16 different images. It's 1 image with 16 different palettes
  • Modding version: PSX

Bladegrasp1997