• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:36:55 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Palette Editing/Indexes

Started by bizenboat, November 12, 2019, 01:42:42 am

bizenboat

This feels like a stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere... or maybe I'm just not using the right words.

I'm trying to view/edit the colors in one of the palettes of WEP1. How the heck do you view the image using different palettes/index?

In (Zodiac's?) Palette Editor I can see sprites with the first 8 different palettes, but I can't see palettes 9-16. In GraphicsGale or GIMP, I can see all the colors in the palette window but I can't see what the image looks like with anything other than the first palette/index. What am I missing?
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

I don't know if those are even used in game. Normal sprites save those palettes for portraits only, after all.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

bizenboat

I'm not sure what you mean by that, WEP1 is used for battle graphics. Anyway, my question is just about viewing a palette.

A sprite sheet has 16 distinct palettes. Each palette has 16 colors. When I load the file I see the spritesheet colored using the first palette. How can I see what the graphic looks like using the 10th palette?

Nyzer

I'm saying I don't know if Square did anything with those palettes in the first place.

bizenboat

It looks like it uses all 16 palettes to me. http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Item_Graphics

Regardless, my question is important to me either way. How would I see the 2nd palette in GIMP or GraphicsGale?

If that's not possible, is the source code for Palette Editor available?

Thanks

3lric

Source code for PE isnt available, I asked Xifanie (she used to be Zodiac) a while back, but she doesnt have it anymore.

If the newest Shishi with its additions doesnt allow you to export each palette then you will have to do some digging.

No one said your question wasnt important to you, its just not something we ever cared to look into if its not in shishi. Though Raven has a workbook somewhere that lets you set which palette is used for which weapon, im not sure that we ever setup a way to edit those other 8 palettes. I thought we did since i thought i edited them for Jot5 Ch2, but ive been wrong before...

Nyzer

I honestly couldn't tell you basically anything about editing anything to do with the weapon graphic image file.

That said, I did miss the mention that you could see the palettes themselves but not the way they looked in GG - I didn't even consider that idea because I considered it fairly obvious, but I suppose you wouldn't have thought of poking around in GG since poking around in Shishi just made matters more confusing, not less, with its inability to display palettes 9-16 properly. Sort of not seeing the forest for the trees, which I did, too, by focusing on your mentions of trouble with Shishi itself.

Plus, doing this in GG would also require you to click a checkbox as you go or else it would be wildly inaccurate.

The image is only using the first palette - the first 16 colors. FFT imposes the next 16 colors, slot for slot, over the image when its palette is set to the next one. If you want to see what another palette looks like in practice, you need to import it overtop of the first palette. GG has an arrow near the colors, click it and you'll see options to Save/Load Palette or Color or whichever. Choose to Load the palette from the same file, turn OFF the checkbox option to Match Colors With Palette, drag over the 16 colors you want, and click them into place.

bizenboat

I do appreciate the responses. I shouldn't have led with mentioning WEP1 because I just had a general question about palettes. I can edit all of the palettes and graphics of WEP1 just fine in GraphicsGale or GIMP, or PE for that matter. I just wanted an easy way to switch the displayed image between palette X and palette Y.

I think the problem was that I didn't really understand how sprites/palettes work. The BMP has 256 colors in the palette but PE and Shishi know to look at them in groups of 16 to recolor the image. GG and GIMP don't do that.

So it's just a matter of replacing the colors in the BMP (which is only using the first 16 colors) with the colors from other rows. Nyzer, thanks for the instructions on doing that in GG!

Another way to just see all the pretty colors is to open it up in Shishi and use Magnifier or some other zoom tool. It does display all 16 palettes, I guess I'm just getting too old to see what's going on in that tiny window.

3lric

GG actually can do that. I did it a lot for effect files and EVTCHR. I cant remember exactly the option you need to press. Ill look next time im at my laptop