• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:44:59 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Wiki Attention Thread

Started by nitwit, September 22, 2016, 11:18:17 am

nitwit

September 22, 2016, 11:18:17 am Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:40:21 am by nitwit
I'm doing a bit of work since I have free time due to insomnia.  I'm adding links to every documented subroutine call (jal 0x????????) where it is called.

I do this by going to any formula or routine, ctrl + f jal, finding the address it jumps and links to, and then ctrl + f that address on the Routine Locations wiki page:
http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Routine_Locations

Generally a good idea to include on every subroutine what jal's to that page, but that's less important since you can use the Special Page "What Links Here" on the left sidebar under the tools menu to find the same information.

If you see anything that needs attention in the wiki make a post.

Question for asm hackers and wiki admins - why does the Return Locations section in those subroutines that are jal'd to contain the start of that routine as the address listed, instead of the address to which it would return after that routine?

http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Current_Action_Data_Nulling
The above page jumps and links to the below page 3 times:
http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Data_Nullifying

Data Nullifying displays the addresses to which the jal subroutine calls in Current Action Data Nulling return.  Other wiki pages instead display the first address of the routine from which they are called, and not the addresses to which they return on completion.  Which should I use?

Something else, I've found several duplicate pages, with different titles and different comments on the disassembly.  I assume that these are parameterized, but shouldn't these duplicate pages acknowledge one another?

Glain

I've been adding some routines to the wiki recently and I also noticed something about the Return Locations section.

I've started labeling that section "Call Locations" instead of "Return Locations", because we're really showing the addresses of the statements that call the routine, not where the routine returns to (which, in general, would be two lines after the call location).  I think the call locations are the right addresses to list, as they're the most useful to have; it's just that the section name is mislabeled on most of the routines.

Use the actual call location (i.e. where the appropriate "jal" statement is), not the starting address of the calling routine.  I would guess the starting addresses being there was an oversight.

As for multiple pages with different comments on the same routine, that happens when two different people comment the same routine.  We keep both interpretations of the routine up in that case.  Some people prefer one commenting style over another.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

nitwit

Quote from: Glain on September 23, 2016, 09:46:38 pm
I've been adding some routines to the wiki recently and I also noticed something about the Return Locations section.

I've started labeling that section "Call Locations" instead of "Return Locations", because we're really showing the addresses of the statements that call the routine, not where the routine returns to (which, in general, would be two lines after the call location).  I think the call locations are the right addresses to list, as they're the most useful to have; it's just that the section name is mislabeled on most of the routines.

Use the actual call location (i.e. where the appropriate "jal" statement is), not the starting address of the calling routine.  I would guess the starting addresses being there was an oversight.

Understood.  List it as '''Call Locations''', list the address of the jal statement that jumps to it.

Quote from: Glain on September 23, 2016, 09:46:38 pm
As for multiple pages with different comments on the same routine, that happens when two different people comment the same routine.  We keep both interpretations of the routine up in that case.  Some people prefer one commenting style over another.

Should I link the duplicate pages together when I find them?

What about when I find a routine that links to one version of a page - should I have it link to both versions?  Does it do so because due to the parameters set for it that page is appropriate, but not one of the other duplicate pages?

It seems the safest route is to leave a routine that links to one version of a page alone, and then to link all the pages together.