• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:33:27 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT Arena Beta Tournament - Discussion and videos here!

Started by FFMaster, January 14, 2011, 04:19:22 pm

The Damned

January 14, 2011, 11:06:57 pm #20 Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:10:51 pm by The Damned
I'll try to help if...I can. I still need to see if I can even run videos on this computer; I guess I should get around to seeing if I can do that tonight or tomorrow finally. I also wouldn't be using a mic if I helped though, so it's not like I'd be much aid.

Your volume is fine, especially since I apparently missed an explanation along the way, so it's not like you're blaring or anything.

"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

FFMaster

The fight needs to be rerun. I found out why the Scholar had no skills. In the spreadsheet, if you have no secondary skillset, the generator doesn't add skills for them. So that Scholar had no skills at all.

Also, Suiton was getting pumped by Martial Arts, which shouldn't be happening. So yeah, I need to fix that up too.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

The Damned

That explains a lot, though it more answers the question of why the Scholar was being extra-idiotic than the reiteration of the point that time and time again, Martial Arts is a troublesome piece of shit.

(Sorry, but I just really loathe Martial Arts and Monks in general, as generics anyway. Not that I won't use them [in Arena and 1.3], but they're just so bothersome for game balance...and I'll just leave it there before I go into a massive digression.)

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Skip Sandwich

Quote from: The Damned on January 14, 2011, 10:14:06 pm
And thus has it begun. That was quite quick, FFMaster.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask/clarify: There's no loser's bracket for this tournament, is there?

I'm pretty sure that spell guns, like regular guns, always hit except against Blade Grasp and now (maybe in the case of spell guns) Projectile Guard. That's why I raised an eyebrow at your units having the Hawk's Eye ability. Oh well. I suppose I shouldn't talk since I'm not 100% certain that Meatbone Slash even works with spell guns. It should, but it's been forever since I've actually played the game and the BMG doesn't really confirm or deny one way or the other.

Glad to see someone is trying to make use of Greased Bolt. I was considering it, but I think I was going to wait until the monsters got released. Maybe I'll try to make one sooner than that now....

Also, I find it funny that we did the Ice Shield with Black Costume thing for exact opposite reasons.

another reason for equipping Hawk's Eye is that it uses a SP * WP damage formula, allowing me to freely damage low-faith units.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

dinosaur

FFM Any explanation on the Sage? I do not want to have that again if I participate in next tournament. 

Pride

Quote from: FFMaster on January 15, 2011, 12:18:09 am
The fight needs to be rerun. I found out why the Scholar had no skills. In the spreadsheet, if you have no secondary skillset, the generator doesn't add skills for them. So that Scholar had no skills at all.
Quote from: dinosaur on January 15, 2011, 09:42:20 am
FFM Any explanation on the Sage? I do not want to have that again if I participate in next tournament. 

Always give your unit a secondary, even if it doesn't have any skills.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

LightningHax

Actually, just having a secondary doesn't prevent this. They need to have skills learned for their secondary. If you want, just give them the same primary and secondary, then divide the skills among them. It should look something like this:

Kokojosaurus     | Scholar          | Papyrus Plate
Female           | Lore             |
Capricorn        | Damage Split     | Golden Hairpin
50 Brave         | Defense up       | White Robe
70 Faith         | Jump +2          | Feather Mantle

>>>Scholar: Bio 2
>>>Scholar: Tornado 

At least, that's what works for me.

CT5Holy

Quote from: FFMaster on January 14, 2011, 11:00:09 pm
As for the Monks dealing a lot of damage, CT5 had to sacrifice a lot for it. Monk(best class for PA), Power Sleeve, 108 Gems, Attack UP and 40 Faith(although this might be a benefit) all in one.

Not much of a sacrifice, imo, since I totally whore PA on my monks, anyway. 108 Gems also boosts Earth Slash! =P

Volume was fine. Can't wait for the re-run!

:3
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

BlameGod

I think by 'sacrifice' he just meant invest a lot of configurable options.

That _was_ a pretty disappointing match up, with the highlight being the near 600 damage faithed attack.

dinosaur

Quote from: BlameGod on January 15, 2011, 01:33:05 pm
That _was_ a pretty disappointing match up, with the highlight being the near 600 damage faithed attack.

Yeah it was. My sage was suppose to be my offense with quake and my mime would mimic it and bound to hit someone since it has such a large AoE

Kaz

*high fives CT5Holy for using Faith as  NEGATIVE status*
to hell with you mustadio haters

Melancthon

January 15, 2011, 04:08:13 pm #32 Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:10:52 pm by Melancthon
Quote from: FFMaster on January 15, 2011, 12:18:09 am

Good catch.  My Monk doesn't have any secondary abilities learned, and he sort of needs his primaries to live.

Edit:
Quote from: FFMAlso, is the volume too high?

Your voice is fine, but your background music is a little loud.
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

FFMaster

January 15, 2011, 05:56:23 pm #33 Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:56:50 pm by FFMaster
dinosaur vs CT5Holy Redux
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3

The Damned

January 15, 2011, 07:45:54 pm #34 Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:47:17 pm by The Damned
Well, that was quick again. Thanks again, FFMaster.

Well, it's good to see that was more even with "buff" to dinosaur's team and the nerf to CT5Holy's teams. (Fucking Monks.)

Anyway, these matches verified further for me that Tornado (and, by connection, Quake) kind of suck. They take way too long to charge for what little damage they do (yes, I'm aware of the space they hit and that this was mostly on low-Faith units) in addition to being able to be dodged by M-EV, not ignoring allies like Summon Magic and being readily available. It seems like they need to not be evadable or take less time to charge or...something.

Also doesn't exactly help that Tornado is the one of only two damaging magical Wind attacks and is rather inferior to Heaven's Cloud is you want to make a Wind absorb team (IMO).

Nice to see a Wind absorb used for once. This match basically highlights why I'll probably never use in Arena Counter Magic, at given its JP cost at present.

Man, that Bard is an idiot. I hope Mateus doesn't act like that. (Damn it, I should have given him Float instead of Fly, Protect and Shell. Oh well.)

Kind of surprised that the Thief chose to Ether the Time Mage instead of himself.

Quote from: Skip Sandwich on January 15, 2011, 02:58:08 am
another reason for equipping Hawk's Eye is that it uses a SP * WP damage formula, allowing me to freely damage low-faith units.

Ah. I'll be.

Funny how much I looked at Archer but utterly ignored Hawk's Eye--even though I think I had something like it--because the other teams I had with Archers were too incoherent for my liking.

Quote from: LightningHax on January 15, 2011, 10:57:46 am
Actually, just having a secondary doesn't prevent this. They need to have skills learned for their secondary. If you want, just give them the same primary and secondary, then divide the skills among them. It should look something like this:

No, they don't. Various units through out Arena had have secondary skillsets without any actual skills in them and they worked as intended. Basically dinosaur should have just picked Yin-Yang Magic or Snipe secondary and he didn't.

Quote from: Kaz on January 15, 2011, 04:01:06 pm
*high fives CT5Holy for using Faith as  NEGATIVE status*

Meh.

Not to be a killjoy, but arguably Faith has ALWAYS been a negative status, especially since it doesn't even work as a defense against Un-Truth skills like it should and all it really does is make your people easier to kill.

FFMaster

FFMaster

January 16, 2011, 06:06:10 pm #36 Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:16:10 pm by FFMaster
philsov vs Otabo
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3

Skip Sandwich

January 16, 2011, 06:19:54 pm #37 Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:31:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
Ahahaha! Best Lich ever in the second round.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

philsov

220 damage from a blood sword onto a 40 fury unit?  daaaamn.

Didn't even notice all the best compat floating around until I saw round 1, heh.

But round 2 is awesome.

gg otabo :D
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Barren

This is actually getting interesting now :) I cant cant wait to see other teams in action. Im also psyched that i get to take on Eternal :) best of luck to you Eternal, we'll have a good match
You dare cross blades with me?