• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:32:38 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Why you (dis)like Facebook Games?

Started by Vanya, June 26, 2012, 11:26:11 pm

Vanya

This is for you guys that play games on Facebook. I recently got my business license and am working on building my first game development studio. That said, my first target is social gaming on Facebook. I have some ideas for games I'd like to produce, but I'd like some general feedback on the state of FB gaming those that know about it.

1) What I'm looking for is info on likes and dislikes about FB games.

2) Also, the reasons why you either do or don't play FB games.

3) What you'd like to see happen with FB games.

Thanks for your comments!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Eternal

This isn't directly for Facebook, I guess, but I enjoy Flash games with PvP stuff. A good example is Backyard Monsters on Kongregate. I dislike having to wait forever to get upgrades and stuff. I'm fairly sure there are a few PvP games out there for FB though...
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Zaen

Let's see...

1) Dislikes: How all games revolve around begging your friends and bothering them for "upgrades" and "premium" stuff, or even stuff required to play the games.
How most games of different genres are all carbon copies. Mafia Wars is Mob Wars is Superhero whatevermacallit as Farmville is Farm Town is whatever-ville/town.

They just lack any intriguing gameplay (well, other than Hobo Wars... that was hilarious).

2) ^

3) Quality games. Beyond Scrabble with Friends, farming, and low quality day-by-day gameplay games.

If only they could be as good as some Flash games I've seen, is all. Like that Tanks game. That was a blast. Just blowing up other tanks to get special weapons and improved traction, armour, and whatnot.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

Dome

Having to wait too much for everything kills the fun

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

DonalbaneBeoulve

I dislike Facebook games, I think they are a waste of time - and the app invites/requests alone is a enough for me to not play any. I used to like the bird game but that has become repetitive and boring.

Vanya

¯\(°_0)/¯

Kaijyuu

I don't particularly like or dislike them, myself. Probably because I've never visited Facebook beyond the front page, and thus never seen them.

I've played some "casual" games though and they're fine for the most part. They're the "bite size" of video games.
  • Modding version: PSX

Zozma

the games are designed to eventually get you to break down and fork over real money in exchange for items that you cant get otherwise. giving whoever pays an advantage. also in exchange for money to save you time so you can keep playing without waiting for recharged energy. the fact that you cannot obtain certain items without paying real money irritates me to no end.

this has already been said too but the game requiring you to have more 'neighbors' or whatnot before you can expand etc is annoying too.

id like a game that gives you equal standing with anyone else and is more a matter of skill than it is how much time you waste on it.
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Vanya

Quote from: Zozma on August 15, 2012, 06:02:02 am
the games are designed to eventually get you to break down and fork over real money in exchange for items that you cant get otherwise. giving whoever pays an advantage. also in exchange for money to save you time so you can keep playing without waiting for recharged energy. the fact that you cannot obtain certain items without paying real money irritates me to no end.

this has already been said too but the game requiring you to have more 'neighbors' or whatnot before you can expand etc is annoying too.

id like a game that gives you equal standing with anyone else and is more a matter of skill than it is how much time you waste on it.

My company's first major project will attempt to address all these issues. Even if I have to sacrifice the profit potential that the "social gaming" model has.

Everyone. Thank you for your opinions. Hopefully my future projects will make Facebook gaming more appealing to many of you.
¯\(°_0)/¯