• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

NeoCloud sprite which works already uploaded?

Started by Holy Knight Wiegraf, June 20, 2016, 09:18:29 am

Holy Knight Wiegraf

Hi There !

I am working on a FFT Patch and I need the NeoCloud sprite.
The one which is already uploaded doesnt work because it is too large.

Did anyone upload a working one yet ? I am searching but I cannot find it.
And sprite editing and spriting in general is not possible for me because I dont know how to do it.
Can someone please upload a working one ?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

It does work. It's just too large for the sprite slot you're trying to put it in, which is a fun little feature of WotL that the PSX version doesn't have to deal with.

Holy Knight Wiegraf

Ah I see.

But If I use the psx version of the game then I wont have access to the dark Knight, Onion Knight as well as Balthier, Luso and The Cutscenes.
Ok the cutscenes are ok if i have to miss them. But All the rest is not good.
And i am worried about enough space for Jobs and Characters. Are any tools coming out soon for WOTL ?
Or is it possible to include all the WOTL content into the psx iso of the game which includes the jobs and characters?

Nyzer

Quote from: Holy Knight Wiegraf on June 20, 2016, 02:30:10 pmAre any tools coming out soon for WOTL ?

Short answer: no.

WotL is significantly harder to work with than the PSX game. The port to PSP and additional content were not handled in a mod-friendly way. It's unlikely that anyone with the skill to make new WotL tools would dedicate their time to doing so - it'd be like buying a Mac with the intent to customize it instead of just a typical PC, which can be assembled by anyone who can do their research going in and follow basic assembly setup... assuming you don't do what I did and drop your CPU pin end down. (Managed to fix it. Took longer than the entire rest of the assembly though.)

The PSX version also has a large variety of existing tools that already work, plus many more that Xifanie is actively developing as we work on Journey of the Five. Working on WotL would leave one unable to use all of those tools. Might not be a big deal for someone such as yourself if you're just doing a simple vanilla mod to fix up things like the stupidly broken Arithmeticks and the unimpressive Aim/Talk skills, but it would be for the type of person who could make better tools for it.

Quote from: Holy Knight Wiegraf on June 20, 2016, 02:30:10 pm
Or is it possible to include all the WOTL content into the psx iso of the game which includes the jobs and characters?

Theoretically, yes. That said, no one has ever set it up like that, because doing so would require quite a lot of work, and the people who do that work are more interested in doing something that hasn't already been done - like Xifanie's Synthesis Shop. A quicker solution would be to make the Onion and Dark Knight jobs unique jobs within a PSX mod, just making them unique characters entirely. There's definitely Formation space for that and there's also a mod that'll allow Guest slots to be used as regular Formation ones, increasing the PSX roster from 16 to 20. With 12 uniques in Vanilla, as well as Rad, Lavian, Alicia, and Boco, adding in a Dark & Onion Knight would still leave 2 spaces free on your roster for whatever extra generics you wanted. Or you could make Rad/Lavian/Alicia Dark and Onion Knights and leave 4 spaces, up to you :P

If all you want to do is a little bit of fiddling but want to keep the WotL content, it might be best to stick with it and just deal with things like not so easily being able to set up Cloud with his AC sprite. If you're willing to deal with a bit more work to set up Dark & Onion as unique Jobs and you want the option to be able to really tear into your mod at some point, go to the PSX.

It really depends just what you want to do with your mod. If you just want a very slightly tweaked WotL for your own personal use, well, best to go with WotL, though the advantages it has over PSX aren't all that great. The multiplayer's cool, if you have people to do multiplayer with. The Dark Knight can be pretty good, but with how annoying it is to get at, you're not losing much by starting with the PSX and making it a Unique anyway. The Onion Knight is... pretty crap without its equipment, and still not worth using over Arithmeticks or Orlandu even then. The 24 slot roster is nice, but 20 is already more than enough.
Then there's the spell slowdown. I can cast CT 5 Holy and go order, wait for, and eat a pizza before it finishes thanks to that mind-boggling decision. At least there's a fix for that.

But if you want to do anything more than just simple tweaks, you're definitely gonna want to go with the PSX version.

Holy Knight Wiegraf

ah cool. thanks for your answers. You are helping me out a lot.

A quicker solution would be to make the Onion and Dark Knight jobs unique jobs within a PSX mod, just making them unique characters entirely

Thats cool.
And if i decide to make them unique characters, is there a way to edit formation sprites, portraits and story sprites?
I am asking because i like the Armor Ramza which looks much like a Holy Knight. But if Story animations would play, then the original sprites will come through and change back to the
Holy Knght sprites. That doesnt look good.

Or you could make Rad/Lavian/Alicia Dark and Onion Knights and leave 4 spaces, up to you :P

If I understood correctly, making them unique characters would mean that the Job is the Basic Job right?
Is there a way to extend the Job List making Dark and Onion Knights possible for everyone, even generics?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I am planning to do is Edit the Job List to make them Jobs I like, balance them out and give them sprites I like to be able to create cool characters that fit well in term of appearance.
Not only that. That way i could use Sephiroth for the dark Knight job. could name him Sephiroth. And then i got Sephiroth as a character without messing up because he is a generic.
That way he would not loose his looks as Sephiroth.

Nyzer

QuoteAnd if i decide to make them unique characters, is there a way to edit formation sprites, portraits and story sprites?

Yes. If they use any special EVTCHRs it'll still be wonky, but if you're using Rad/Lavian/Alicia for this, they only have one EVTCHR between them, and it can probably just be overcome by making Rad use the standard Critical animation instead of the special kneeling EVTCHR.

QuoteIs there a way to extend the Job List making Dark and Onion Knights possible for everyone, even generics?

I believe so, but I don't know anything about it myself.

QuoteWhat I am planning to do is Edit the Job List to make them Jobs I like, balance them out and give them sprites I like to be able to create cool characters that fit well in term of appearance.
Not only that. That way i could use Sephiroth for the dark Knight job. could name him Sephiroth. And then i got Sephiroth as a character without messing up because he is a generic.
That way he would not loose his looks as Sephiroth.

You'd be way better served by just adding in uniques. If you made your Dark Knight Sephiroth change Jobs he'd suddenly look exactly like a generic. Or if you made a bunch of people Dark Knights you'd be fielding a team of Sephiroths and that's just... weird.

Holy Knight Wiegraf

October 09, 2016, 12:19:43 pm #6 Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:31:17 pm by Holy Knight Wiegraf
QuoteYou'd be way better served by just adding in uniques

oh yep. Oups =)
I thought it over and using Sephiroths as generics wouldnt look nice. fighting against sephiroths with random names wouldnt be nice. Making him unique would be the most suitable solution. I only was concentrated on the possibility on making Sephiroth with the right name but didnt think about the other edge of the sword.
Thanks Bro

Quotethey only have one EVTCHR between them, and it can probably just be overcome by making Rad use the standard Critical animation instead of the special kneeling EVTCHR.

cool. Does that apply for lavian and alicia as well ? the animation of the characters when they are near death and are kneeling because of weakness right? in what file can i find these sprites?
Thank you