• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:48:10 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

New spells...

Started by Zozma, January 21, 2008, 09:59:07 pm

Zozma

January 21, 2008, 09:59:07 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so given only the available gfx from the game, what spells would you add to the game?

i would REALLY like to find a way to take the leviathan spell minus the leviathan picture and make and make a spell like "Flood" to go with the dimension magic skillset of Quake, Melt, Tornado

i think its tacky that a water spell is missing... well anyway that would be MY first project if i could find a way to do it without destroying the skill leviathan.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Xifanie

January 21, 2008, 10:33:47 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
if we extent the ROM size, we could get a fucking big lot of new effect files.

But I doubt the format (other than the picture) is simple.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zozma

January 31, 2008, 05:44:36 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
the new spells im referring to would simply be to assign a pre existing gfx to an empty slot of data to create a new skill.

example: take the blank ability that comes after the "parasite" skill.
giving it status is easy fft patcher gives you everything you need to make it do what you want BUT what id like to do is maybe assign fire 1's effect (just example) so that my new skill looks just like fire 1.

to go on further... another thing i have never seen or heard mention of is the type of skill it looks like when you cast it. (you know, the energy that collects over your head when you cast a magic spell, or the glowing green orbs that circle you when you cast a summons, or when a character swings a sword to use a sword skill. )

being able to take the effects like the red revive spell from the zodiac stone also would be great for creating a new skill since you never really get to see the effect more than once in game.

Xifanie

January 31, 2008, 07:08:48 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "Zozma"BUT what id like to do is maybe assign fire 1's effect (just example) so that my new skill looks just like fire 1.

Why don't you just do it if you want to? 1.92 allows it.

Your Tsunami spell would require extending the ISO & editing the Leviathan spell by simply removing Leviathan from it.

Just make sure you don't use any set skill with some assigned Effect. Those after Parasite are OK sine they usually just crash the game. But don't take like Summon Demon and replace it with Fire 3 unless you want every demon born from a ground of fire.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Zozma

February 01, 2008, 05:24:56 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
thanks for the info i didnt realize 1.92 was there :D ill give this a try

wow this is awesome! by the way it appears the type of skill animation is found elsewhere examples the energy collecting over a casters head, slashing a sword before a sword skill, etc.

for the values after parasite they look like they are charging if there is a ct, and then just raise their hands. but you can take monster skills like ulmaguest or mimic titan or whatever that was (you know how they throw out a glitchy knife or some broken animation if a human uses them?) well not if the grafic is from one of those slots. (the last blank before "potion" is actually attack)

haha muramasa without drawing out a katana thats awesome too...

i tested out some of the effects, all of the zodiac demon flashes, and explosions work perfectly as long as you use the proper range and effect radius. the two zodiac revive effects work fine too, however if you are, for example, on the side of a hill it might not rotate the screen so you dont always get a good view of the spell.

at any rate this is great, just need to be able to play around with text now

Zozma

February 21, 2008, 02:02:32 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so okay ive figured out that if you insert one effect over another that has an image of the same size pixels it will function properly...

what good would that be you ask? well for example bio 2 has four of the same spell just different color... but what if i take a recolored spell like "gusty wind" change it from blue to green and then paste that effect in bio2's place? well i have just created a new effect and spell "Aero" :D cool...

im just wondering i see that someone has extracted the images from those effects... however how do you insert them back into the effect file? all i have the ability to do is recolor and paste over other effects of equal or lesser file size...

trickstardude7

February 21, 2008, 06:18:02 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
i dont want to sound dumb but do the effects have their own file  type or is it bitmap?

Sen

February 21, 2008, 08:55:23 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
additional spells
local quake for quake and waterball for water

how do you change the effect's colors?

Xifanie

February 21, 2008, 04:27:29 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Just as the .spr files, the effect files includes an image. I doubt there would be any part compressed in it  but the later part of the file contains everything of what happens during the animation (camera move, X graphic at Y location, display damage, only one cast at center for all targets, etc.).

There is already Quake in the game. :/

Although I have never seen Hashmalum use it.

Sen

February 22, 2008, 01:12:56 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
Hashmalum's Quake can be Quake 4 like Fire 4 and etc.

Zozma

February 22, 2008, 02:33:50 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
well i changed the colors by using this "snespal" program... after opening the effect file i scrolled thru all the boxes of color till i saw a pattern of same colors.. there are alot by the way, and tho i am certain there is a much faster way to do this i do not have the tools to take the image out of the bin file and put it back in after photoshop or whatever.... but for what it is worth, as long as the file fits into another effect file with the same height and width pixels, with this you can at the very least create re colored effects... imagine a bloody red galaxy stop? or a blue night sword etc.... but to add after hearing mention of the quake and stuff.. yes i hope to create a set of wind and earth spells and if enough space allows water as well.. im really hoping to take the leviathan spell someday and turning it into the fouth spell in the dimension magic set to have all 4 true elements. quake, melt, tornado, flood. im going to reduce the number of bio spells to the 3 green ones with multiple random status effects and use the other slots for my wind and earth...

but anyway, this thing is what i used...

Sen

February 23, 2008, 03:20:49 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
uhmm...
How should I know where is the GustyWind's effect? can you show me a list or something just to know where are the effects

Xifanie

February 23, 2008, 08:05:16 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
FFTPatcher in the Abilities section or auritech.eu / Data / Effects.

Zozma

February 24, 2008, 12:59:57 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
my bad, here you can see images of all the effects
http://dotchan.com/fft/effects.html

and in the data section of this wonderful site auritech you can see all the true names of those effects! also here you can have this too its a bit bright green but its a color changed version :D

i think it would be awesome if some day it were possible to alter the size of the empty skill slots that are just 0 without totally destroying the game...

Sen

February 24, 2008, 04:56:42 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
Thanks for the links,information and the edited gusty wind file.
I'll try to make my own later.

But the probem as of now in making a skill with those that are below parasite as that when charging the character isn't raising his/her hands.

Xifanie

February 24, 2008, 11:02:12 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "Zozma"i think it would be awesome if some day it were possible to alter the size of the empty skill slots that are just 0 without totally destroying the game...
I think I saw a PS2 Tutorial on ISO expansion but not for PSX...

I doubt it would be much hard but we never know.

Zozma

February 24, 2008, 08:46:56 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah i'm not sure how to change the hand raising thing, but you can assign the gfx to another spell that does that animation. those slots are great for another type of skill tho... i made elmdor's sword spirit skills use the katana skill without drawing out a katana. now his skillset works yay just need to be able to re name...

also for slots with spellcast animations i think having 3 bios, 4 bio2s, and 3 bio3s is a waste! i brought it down to the green versions of bio1 2 and 3 adding more status effects. and im using the other slots for whatever i want they all have the magic casting look. another one that does is the empty space below "meteor"

as for expanding size... it would be so awesome... i really don't want to have to sacrifice one effect for a new one when they are all so nice :D i actually think that would come in handy for sprites as well some of them cant hold any data after the portrait.

Sen

February 29, 2008, 05:55:41 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
I think it will be good if the 3 dimension magics will be moved below parasite and changing their old place with a new spell for the hand raising animation.

Because Lucavis doesn't have those hand raising animation that human characters do and just charge like an archer  when casting spells so just moving melt,tornado and quake below parasite doesn't make any changes to them and will increase the slots for the making of another set of spells

Zozma

March 12, 2008, 12:08:31 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
for anyone who would like to create some new sword skills i have one idea for you...

all monsters have a basic attack that uses the normal attack formula.
certain monsters attacks actually call upon the weapon strike animation and by just giving that monster "Attack" (the skill right above "potion" (ITS NOT BLANK that might make a good update in the patcher) they will simply perform a normal attack instead. (also the tree monsters could finally be more useful)

these skills use the said animation:
Choco Attack
Choco Ball
Choco Meteor
Bite  (Bomb)
Beak (Steel Hawk)
Eye Gouge (Goblin)
Small Bomb (Blue)
Small Bomb (Black)
Small Bomb (Red)
Tentacles (Squidlarkin)
Shake Off (Minitaurus) (i like this skill as is...)
Knife Hand (Living Bone) (its cool but perhapts the skills gfx could be used for something else maybe implementing a shield break skill for mighty sword?)

Small bomb? 3 of them just to have the bomblet color match the bomb? screw that! they removed the 2 extras from the psp version as well anyway. now i have "Dark Wave" and "Dusk Blade" additions to the dark knight set finally i can consider it a whole job with 4 sword skills instead of 2. and now my Mystic Knight can finally get 3 skills "Heat Smash", "Static Blade", "Ice Smash"

Zozma

March 16, 2008, 05:49:19 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
double-post but anyway i need an opinion... the oracle skills effects are rather large files meaning theres space to insert smaller customized effects into them.. i was thinking of making oracle spells use the versions without the little spirit looking thingies... thus freeing up the origional effects... do you think this would rob beowulf of his uniqueness as a temple knight? its just so tempting altho all im able to do right now is recolor i can put anything smaller there... hmmm maybe a the sword skills for one since they are kind of big files too... still the little spirit things kinda separate the oracle from other mage jobs... afterall you dont see a little ghost appear and start shooting fire, ice or thunder right?... i just don't know... hmmm