• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:55:20 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Chemist Item skillset - Adding Ball

Started by scorpiova, March 25, 2017, 01:20:31 pm

scorpiova

Hey guys - trying to figure out an issue.

I have added Ball to the learnable skills for my new Chemist class. I added Balls to every store in the game and Ball shows up on the Chemist skill list to be learned for 70 JP. Once I learn the skill and buy several of the elemental balls, and go into battle unfortunately Ball does not show up as a usable skill in the item skillset in combat.

1. So I can set the skill to the item skillset
2. I can learn it from the item skillset in game.
3. I have purchased each of the elemental balls from the store.

But... I cannot seem to use it in battle (for example I learned Potion, Phoenix Down, and Ball on my level 2 chemist - yet in combat only Potion and Phoenix Down are showing up).

Does anyone know what I am missing to make it show up for the Chemist to use? Is there some sort of flag I need to check in fftpatcher to make it useable by the chemist item skillset?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Emmy

There is a lot of hardcoding surrounding Item and Throw.  You can't simply just put "ball" in the chemist set without changing any of its properties.  However, since I still have balls/shuriken which are no use in my mod due to changing throw's skillset, making this work interests me enough to maybe look into it.  I'm in the middle of writing another hack though, so it'll have to wait a bit.
  • Modding version: PSX

scorpiova

Quote from: Emmy on March 25, 2017, 07:32:22 pm
There is a lot of hardcoding surrounding Item and Throw.  You can't simply just put "ball" in the chemist set without changing any of its properties.  However, since I still have balls/shuriken which are no use in my mod due to changing throw's skillset, making this work interests me enough to maybe look into it.  I'm in the middle of writing another hack though, so it'll have to wait a bit.

Yeah the restrictions on some of these skillsets are frustrating - but it is what it is. I tried tweaking a bunch of things today.

1. Tried altering ball itself but found no way to make it show up on the "item list" which seems to ultimately where it needs to be to get picked up by the item skillset.

2. I was doing an overhaul of items - as I find most of them are simply just a waste of space - so tried turning Antidote into Fire Ball. I could link Antidote to Fire Ball - and make Fire Ball show up in the skill list in battle - I could select it and the range would pop up but when I select an enemy the turn would just end with no attack or throw occurring. I am assuming this is because i could not select an attack formula for it in the patcher, so without that it does not seem possible.

Felt like I got close to figuring it out - but just could not get there with it.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Emmy

It *probably* needs asm then. Just a guess...
  • Modding version: PSX