• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:59:31 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Pokemon Emerald: Hoenn and National Dex Editions

Started by Chronosplit, April 10, 2016, 11:49:47 am

Chronosplit

April 10, 2016, 11:49:47 am Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:09:43 pm by Chronosplit
I might as well post up my other little projects here since some GBA projects are around.  This one really is finished.  :D

This is a three-pronged effort to achieve what "Emu Edition" hacks have done: give you all the Pokemon in the game without trading, and without impacting the game itself too much.  Hoenn Dex involves only obtaining the whole Regional Dex and original gameplay, National Dex Light enables all 386 Pokemon without trainer changes, and plain National Dex Edition has trainers changed across the board to fully integrate all the Pokemon to the region (these are mostly simple swaps for the sake of variety and expansion, however I paid special attention to things like Teams which were extremely dull).  Both National Dex versions give you the Pokedex's upgrade seamlessly when you obtain it, without even a separate prompt.  There are also some quality of life improvements:
-Full decapitalization (and I mean everything, except a few scant exceptions in the FAQ)
-New and improved Pokemon Sprites (animations and all, plus optional Pokemon Menu Icons that match the changes.)
-Restored Ferry events, including the Mew one the US never got.  Tickets replace a few inconsequential Item Balls (they also set the required flags), they're rather easy to obtain.
-Bugfixes like Hackmew's RNG fix and Pomeg Berry fix.  Also, fix to that one May battle with Torkoal that exists in bad dumps.
-Running indoors
-Some stuff changed from green to their original colors, an optional patch restores the trainer sprites.
-Changes to obtaining Feebas (the original method is still there unharmed.)
-The last Rival Battle uses the fully evolved Starter.
-Edits to the Battle Frontier stores that allow you to reobtain all the TMs, Stones, and Berries.
-Battle Frontier's trade was altered to give you Jirachi, Meowth was put into one of the extra Safari Zone areas in Hoenn Dex.
-No sound corruption (this shouldn't be here really but... you know what I mean if you've played earlier Emerald things before.)

Oh, and here's the legend of evolution changes:
Machoke, Graveler, and Kadabra evolve by happiness.
Scyther evolves at level 26.
Haunter evolves by happiness in the nighttime.
Feebas evolves by happiness in the daytime.
Onix evolves at level 45.
Poliwhirl evolves to Politoed at level 35.
Porygon evolves at level 24.
Slowpoke (to Slowking) and Seadra evolve with Water Stone.
Clamperl evolves via Happiness; Huntail at night and Gorebyss at day.

There are also a whole bunch of optional patches to both, as I sought to make this hack as modular as possible in order to appease all tastes.  Everything from a simple Day/Night mode to recognize what time it is, to uncensoring, to restoring moves that are not present in Emerald but are present in other Gen 3 games.

MEGA link, in case these are unreachable: https://mega.nz/#F!OI91hCTb!07Tsx9_auVpG1ksRFUDgsA
  • Modding version: PSX

Knivingdude

April 28, 2016, 02:31:03 pm #1 Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:14:10 pm by Knivingdude
Wow. This hack is great! I've been playing for a bit and I can say that you did a good job on it. I'm using most of the IPS patches that you included and seeing the different pokemon and stuff is actually refreshing.

I only have a question about the "Night and Day" patch though. Is it supposed to change the background and such with night and day or is it only supposed to fix the clock?

EDIT: There is a Capital S on the word "Antidotes" making it become "AntidoteS" in the Rustboro City Item Shop. The girl with the red says it.

Chronosplit

April 30, 2016, 09:37:04 am #2 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:21:48 pm by Chronosplit
Thank you!  Ah, I'll get that fixed a little later.  That's probably the one single S left. :P

The night and day patch mostly just adds a change in the background.  How the internal clock itself works is pretty much the same!

EDIT: Fixed and uploaded!  Also added a Team Improvement patch to Hoenn Dex, which improves the team fights in a way similar to National Dex but using only Pokemon in Hoenn (also closer to original intent when it comes to difficulty).

Knivingdude

I found another Misspell in Capitalization... On Cycle Road, the sign currently says: "Seaside ParkING".

Perhaps you should keep this one. No one really reads that specific sign that much. Heh.

Chronosplit

May 05, 2016, 02:30:29 pm #4 Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:39:58 pm by Chronosplit
That might be why I missed that one, heh.

I'll probably fix it anyway.  I'm kind of a bit stubborn on this, and I've spent a lot of updates just doing it anyway. XD

EDIT: Yep, I went ahead and fixed it.

Chronosplit

Attatched to this post you'll find a patch that makes up new stones for trade evolution (and Milotic).  These are basically clones of Ruby, Sapphire, Dragon Scale, and Up-Grade.

If you're using this with this hack, use the Hack Edition patch.  More details in the readme.  Enjoy!

Knivingdude

I know you replaced some of the Trainer's Pokemon in the National Edition... but some of the text they say is really inconsistent when they talk about their pokemon. Example:

The Fisherman near Petalberg Says he uses Magikarp, but he uses Wooper.
The Parasol Lady Madeline says she has a Numel, But she uses Quilava.

I suggest maybe replacing the text or giving them extra pokemon to match what they are saying. Unless, you aren't bothered with it and it's too hard... It's quite distracting to be honest.

Chronosplit

May 18, 2016, 10:26:06 am #7 Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 10:40:51 am by Chronosplit
Quote from: Knivingdude on May 17, 2016, 03:26:15 pm
I know you replaced some of the Trainer's Pokemon in the National Edition... but some of the text they say is really inconsistent when they talk about their pokemon. Example:

The Fisherman near Petalberg Says he uses Magikarp, but he uses Wooper.
The Parasol Lady Madeline says she has a Numel, But she uses Quilava.

I suggest maybe replacing the text or giving them extra pokemon to match what they are saying. Unless, you aren't bothered with it and it's too hard... It's quite distracting to be honest.

This actually is a good idea, I might do this farther down the road.  Though it doesn't look like a very difficult thing because not many people mention their Pokemon (also since I did this with the starter patches), it involves me looking through all the trainer speech to make sure I did it right. :P

Until then, just assume the mentioned Pokemon are in the trainer's box system.

In the meantime:
-Un-fixed the infamous Earthquake Lanturn on Ace Trainer Dianne.  Funnily enough even though this is GF being illegal it doesn't scream "bug."  It makes sense in logic because the resulting double battle is geared towards a Levitate/Earthquake combo.  It's far from the first time they've bent the rules in Emerald.
-Fixed a really obscure "no" choice in the Battle Tents.

Chronosplit

When generating a new save the game will now use all wallpapers in the Box system, meaning the first four are no longer cycled and every PC Box looks unique.  This was a neat little QoL enhancement that I had to put in last minute!

This only effects new games because this function is only used upon first creating a save.

Chronosplit

Quick, somewhat embarrassing fix: for some reason Castform was still Castfrom. Apparently it's used so little that no one really brought this up and I had never noticed. Don't expect a whole bunch of updates to come up or anything, it was kind of a scramble to get this done. Enjoy!

MyOwnHarem

Does Mirage Island work the same way, and if so, is the Pokemon Emerald RNG fixed in this patch?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Chronosplit

Quote from: MyOwnHarem on June 02, 2017, 08:35:49 pm
Does Mirage Island work the same way, and if so, is the Pokemon Emerald RNG fixed in this patch?

Mirage Island works as in vanilla, and the RNG fix was the first thing I put in. :P

In other news, the last patch is up.  For real.  No more updates for this one.  Found and tackled down the last straggling goofs.  As for National Dex mentioning other Pokemon... sorry, never got around to it.  Just remember that the first grunt held a Poochyena.  Just assume they have a box account and they're hanging around in there.

Chronosplit

ShadowOne333 updated Trainer De-Green to version 1.1, intros and credit images are now accounted for.

Chronosplit

-Trainer Sprite De-Green has been updated again; fixed the water reflection sprites (turns out they use a whole other set for some reason).
-Added MEGA link as a backup.  The zip files you want are the same name.  All but one file is my junk, if you'd like an explanation for any of them I'm able to do so.

Chronosplit

And yet again, another Trainer Sprite De-Green update.  This one updates the Town Map player indicator head.  This should be the last roundup for that one, it took a while due to them being uncompressed.

Chronosplit

February 01, 2019, 04:02:11 pm #15 Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:22:36 pm by Chronosplit
Long time no see, and no update.

This update rolls in a patch that turns Jynx black.  Yep, that Jynx.  It was made by SCD and ShadowOne333 for both projects, and it's definitely optional.  So if you like that knock yourself out.

EDIT: Seems that there's some sort of bug with Black Jynx clashing with another optional patch.  I'm still figuring out where the conflict is.

Chronosplit

Fex

Great job on this patch! Just wanted to point out a decapitalization mistake: in the Petalburg Pokémon Center, the man in the top right corner asks you to show your "profile", but the title of the prompt reads "ProfILE".
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown