• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Stat Growth Idea

Started by Zaen, January 31, 2010, 08:52:34 pm

Zaen

Obviously there's a misconception... This isn't to correct 1.3 growths or anything like that. I'm using 1.3 Jobs as an EXAMPLE.

You know.. like a demonstration? Cause you know, usually it makes sense to use something already in existence when you're presenting something. It's not like I'm gonna pull out a set of classes out of nowhere to parade my idea with.

Anyways, updated chart that will make much more sense. Critique this new one.

I only made the Samurai slow to balance it's growths out.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

Kaijyuu

Quote from: "philsov"change into what, exactly?  Its not like the whole job tree is frozen.  A knight/priest hybrid would have average all-around stats.
Right. But compare it to a pure physical character; the hybrid would be inferior. So, if you want a physical character instead of your knight/priest combo, why have an inferior character when you could make a new one with decent stats?

Quotea knight/priest hybrid (e.g.) will be a better unit than a traditional FFT knight with white magic secondary; as a vanilla knight he'll lack the MA and MP (if robeless) and as a vanilla priest with battle skill he'll have less HP and PA.  This allows for a myriad of customizations regarding stats, rather than have most (almost all) of your stats simply determined by your current class with little relevance, stat-wise, to your previous classes.
I see what you guys are after here. Under your systems, one could be whatever ridiculous combo imaginable. Assuming they specialized for it from level 1, though. That's ultimately the problem I have with it: once you level up in one class, you get those stats and can never change that short of making a new character. You say the punishment is the same as the reward... but why is there a punishment with leveling up at all?

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread too much. :P
  • Modding version: PSX

Skip Sandwich

@Kaijyuu
that's the whole reason you have room for 16 different units in your party, so that 'making a new character' is a completely viable option if you find that you need a specific set of skills on a single character that none of your current lineup of characters can pull off to your satisfaction.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

philsov

QuoteYou say the punishment is the same as the reward... but why is there a punishment with leveling up at all?

Why isn't there a reward for leveling up?  We could argue in circles about this forever.  

@Zaen:

Growths are too low in the speciality area.  The 1.3 knight (e.g.) already has 8 growth, but its also rocking a 140 HPM.  If the multipliers all get to between 90-110 (maybe) or just flat 100's all the way though, then the growths need to be better to compensate.  How I'd go about it is reverse engineering some numbers -- how much HP should a pure knight at level 99 or 50 or whatever have?  Since you already know their multiplier and base stat, you can toggle with the growth until its at the target zone.  Repeat for all the cardinal classes and then ratchet down, percentwise, for the subclasses.

Also speed growth is the devil.  I'd sooner give archers/thieves/ninjas better PA growth over Sp.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Zaen

Kaijyuu

Quote from: "Skip Sandwich"that's the whole reason you have room for 16 different units in your party, so that 'making a new character' is a completely viable option if you find that you need a specific set of skills on a single character that none of your current lineup of characters can pull off to your satisfaction.
Hrm, the more I think about this the more I think you're right. The only issue I can think of is the fact you can inadvertently screw up your special character's growth; you can't just make another one.
I still don't like it, but any further the objections I can think of just involve conflicting with how I like to play the game, not inherent problems.

I'll agree it's fine so long as there's adequate character slots (we really need to boost it to 20). I just wouldn't like to play a game that focuses so much on it... I completely ignore stat growth as it if doesn't exist when playing vanilla. But yeah, that's just me.
  • Modding version: PSX

Zaen

It's easy to ignore on vanilla because it doesn't affect MA at all. But you do notice it when you level an archer and it can't do crap for damage because you didn't level it as a knight or similar.