• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Elmdork

April 15, 2015, 06:42:26 pm #4040 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:39:19 pm by Rouroni Elmdor
Wow so much going on! Got a match, otabo's back in business, powers combined looks solid, even truelight made a new team! Feel like I'm watching Haley's comet.

Bahahahaha....oh man.. I literally asked for that.

I wish I could tell you I played fft for the first time yesterday, but I can't. I played it in 1998, I was 9. I came to the realization that my team's flaws start at its concept a day or two ago. Any one of my other teams could have been an absorb team, but I always decide to get that extra ma/mp/evade etc. Anima's team is as conceptually sound as any good team without the fire being a crutch. Though I will likely bring back a unit or two, I think I will take down nanashi's sushi bar (no reference, though I go by nanashi in other places) and either reconstruct an absorb team or do what I do best, (lose miserably) make some defensive team. I think my generally negative bias towards absorb team clouded the bigger picture of what this team is (supposed to be) and does (or supposed to do) but I won't give up on it. Just need to conceptualize the way I do my other teams and add absorbtion as a general benefit opposed to being the base of all things. You see when FDQuinn stole sashimi's accessory? Nasty, gj BTW.

GG anima,  I don't take your teams lightly, but I somehow took your teams too lightly. Though I talk smack about absorb teams, I find yours both entertaining to watch and a powerful pick in the arena. Now you'll have to excuse me. I need to buy a plane ticket, cuz I just got bitch slapped back to Trinidad.

Why the fuck does this work?

This team is gnarly. Dunno how else to describe it, just merciless. Need to see either incredible defense or speedy offence to even gauge what kind of potential this team has. Think everybody wants to have a go at it, know I do.

Senpai notice.

Holy shit.

Is there like a sadist switch I'm unaware of? I'm convinced otabo's units are actually sadistic and capable of enjoying whatever they happen to be doing to you. 8 move units is an idea you kind of slap yourself in the head and say "why didn't I think of that". I have to question weather I'd want masamune on my 8 move units though. Yeah, on large maps it helps, but I figure the idea is to get right in the enemy team's face and pop a massive chiri or repel knife. When you think of the nastiest things you can do to a team turn 1, 8 move units really opens the door to some neat possibilities.

@damned: I was actually gonna ask you to explain that to me. Then I realized I can communicate with you telepathically, so I decided to leave that out. Thanks, man!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

The Damned

(Let's see if I can actually get my teams back up before today ends.)

Oh, okay. So that's what "Nanashi's Sushi Bar" was referencing. Hunh.

Quote from: Rouroni Elmdor on April 15, 2015, 06:42:26 pm
Why the fuck does this work?

I'm not sure if this is rhetorical, but it works for several (painful) reasons:

1. Quickening is broken.

2. Cursed Ring + Quickening is still extremely overpowered despite Cursed Ring no longer being guaranteed since the 50/50 resurrection is still basically in the user's favor in most cases.

3. The Undead units generally get back up fast enough (with Quickening) to prevent a lot of teams from ever getting around to targeting the Monks, who get to slowly disrupt and wear down the other team usually at that leisure.

4. Steal Heart is already pretty damn powerful even before the fact that Quickening boosts it.

5. Slow Dance, despite its abysmal hit rate, also is borderline broken since losing just -1 Speed is pretty damn significant. Only reason it isn't dominating the game right now is because Quickening is dominating it instead and Slow Dance is hard-countered by Quickening.

6. Last Dance is actually incredibly strong if your opponent hasn't (or can't) hit an effective 10 Speed--which is actually pretty easy to do--and you get lucky enough and since Slow Dance "fixes" the first problem....

7. The A.I. is dumb about a lot of things, including who it will target. While letting the Quickening Zombies run around would be bad, given they generally always get back up, they "should" be prioritized less than the Monks in most cases. However, due to both being the face of their enemies and technically having less HP than the defensive Monks, the A.I. will generally always take the unit that either has the least HP or that can do the most damage to, though some exceptions exist. So the Zombies are essentially really threatening "bait", all things said.

On top of that, RedWorld just got kind of unlucky, especially in that first round where she might have won had Wave Fist not had missed twice and since half of silentkaster's team gets unlimited continues. Ironically, had she had Seal Evil, which I normally say is underwhelming, she would have likely won rather convincingly since silentkaster's Monks can't heal away Petrify like 99% of Monks can.

*The More You Know Star goes by*
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

TrueLight

Good. Good. Everything is working as planned. I actually got the idea of a Ninja using Innocent from one of FDC's teams from a few years ago. GG Shintroy.

Seems like my new team is getting quite popular.
  • Modding version: PSX

Barren

With the website back up now I can finally post the matches requested by ShadowDragon prior to the website crashing. More will be coming later this weekend

FFT Arena 1.39c - ShadowDragon15 (Anbu Black Ops Unit) vs The Damned (Geological Survey)

FFT Arena 1.39c - ShadowDragon15 (The Celts) vs Shintroy (Caster Shell)
You dare cross blades with me?

Shintroy

April 24, 2015, 12:54:29 pm #4044 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:12:40 pm by Shintroy
And we're back. I can finally continue to stall playing Grim Grimore .
------
Thanks for the matches Barren. It's been so long.
Mime AOE vs Physical Team

RIP. Did not want to go 0-2. Sorry the Damned.

MA Boosting vs Utility
I like Geomancy and all but I don't think The Damned will get the chance to benefit from MA boosting. The Bard and Mime don't really get anything out of the MA Boosting. At least I think so

Round 1 - Sick start for The Damned with FOUR Don't Act procs from Kamaitachi in a row. Those odds tho. ShadowDragon takes the round since he has a lot more comback potential.

Round 2 - A much better round for Shadowdragon. He was in complete control the entire match with the status and the damned only having one unit on offense.

GG. The mime and bard need to be reworked imo. Also I thought there was already a team named Geological Survey? Maybe it was called Weather Survey instead? Idk.

Sakura
didn't
get
Sasuke
lmao

----------------
Maybe I just deleted the wrong post in the Team Submission thread, but I think it's off by a day at most. My post doesn't include Caster Shell even though I definitely added it before the crash. Just a heads up to make sure everyone's teams are how they're meant to be.
-----

Probably the worst team to match up against TrueLight lol.
Pretty sure I commented on this already. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Some day my people will be free.

Kurosabes

April 24, 2015, 06:53:12 pm #4045 Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:07:35 pm by White Knight Wiegraf
We did lose some of the latest posts, I know I had posted something about recording the gauntlet featuring TrueLight's team. I've done 2 matches prior to the site crash and had planned for 2 or 3 more. Now that the site's back up I can gather the teams' data I needed. Here's the 2 first matches I've recorded

FFT Arena 1.39c - TrueLight (Unshakable Faith) vs Rouroni Elmdor (Intergalactic Real Estage Agents)

FFT Arena 1.39c - Shintroy (Caster Shell) vs TrueLight (Unshakable Faith)

Matches 3, 4 and 5
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

silentkaster

I can't say this was a bad match up as much as TL's team is just that powerful. Even sandbagging is tough due to concentrated Atheist Bow. However, my team is just meh...very hard to make it decent. I will probably scrap it in favor of a new themed team soon. In any event, his team is undefeated so far as I thought. But with my current teams, I think only Thieves Guild, Meet the Staff or Ct5Holy's Favorite might stand a chance. Maybe Tribute to The Damned at least could be interesting. GG.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

silentkaster

Ideas for tournament:

Forced rule: Two sets of twins
Forced Rule: Team Battle...everyone makes two units. Randomly paired with another participant in Round Robin format. When only two participants remain, they must create two additional units to battle. Would be a point system.
Forced Rule: All units must be one class
Forced Rule: Straight character Challenge (no secondaries and all action/reaction/support/movement abilities on a unit can only be from that unit's class).
Forced Rule: All participants create a team normally. However, a fifth unit must be created. A random unit on each team will be replaced by the 5th unit everyone creates and it can appear on any team including the creator's (if they are randomly selected of course.)

I have more and will tell later.

Barren

That sounds a little complicated actually because a random 5th unit I feel is too much work for anyone to do. Im fine with everything else you suggested. Or we could do SSC like I did over 2 years ago. I'll post a poll at some point about the tournament rules

silentkaster

Well, the whole idea behind that is is that you could literally create a summoner 70/70 with no abilities or equipment. However, as you progress further in the tournament, you are more and more likely to get that unit on your own team. Also it creates more diverse builds since you never know what unit will be replaced on your team. But I will admit it is a more complicated idea than most so not including it would be fine also.

Barren

April 25, 2015, 10:31:42 pm #4051 Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:43:16 pm by Barren
Well again, when I post a poll I'll include your rules and see what everyone wants. Still it is a unique idea

Shintroy

Fire Absorb vs Unorthodoxed Disruption(?)
My team cancels out a lot of status and Rouroni's team doesn't have enough damage/AOE to keep up with the tankyness.

Round 1 - Chemist gets caught in a ditch and turns into a perma 4v3. Chemist dies tho.

Round 2 - Rouroni gets a taste of Vitamin R(ouroni) when the Counter Magic pretty much closes the round. Quick 4v3 again when the Dancer gets seperated. Chemist dies multiple times somehow again.

GG. Really bad match up for Rouroni. Such is the life of the strange teams.

Also with the Wizard, she will mainly go for fire spells when there's an AOE or another unit is in range and she can heal/hurt at the same time.

Crosses vs Unfaith
12 minute video so I know TrueLight won this. The damage is unreal.

Round 1 - PERFECT

Round 2 - Not possible

GG for Truelight. This is a S Tier team. Needs to be paired with players good teams at this point. Definitely seen what it can do. It's time to put it to the test now.

Dual Absorb vs Unorthodoxed(doxxed???) Balanced team
Both teams are pretty "Damnedy" (opposite of dandy). I think this will go to round 3 with a slight advantage to The Damned since he's absorb and does higher damage.

Round 1 - F I V E - H U N D R E D - T W E N T Y O N E. 185 Cure too? I was way off on The Damned's damage too. FFT in HD!? This match has everything. Pretty free round for Rouroni. First time I'll go back and bet on someone else. Double or nothin.

Round 2 - Would've been over a lot quicker if it weren't for all the charms landing.

GG. Looked even but N O P E. "Damn...! Damn...! DAMN!!!"

Glad the site is back. Needed these matches.
even tho mad one sided RIP
Thanks for another set of matches Barren.

I like the idea of pairing two players up more than pairing two sets of twins. The Damned and (insert name)'s PK Rocking team made me want to try out a duo team. No idea how it would work though. Maybe post two units and pair them up with another player's randomly like before?

Either way as long as the team change rule is a little clearer I'll enter.
Some day my people will be free.

TrueLight

Thanks for the matches White Knight Wiegraf and Barren.

I've created a monster. Don't think I'll be able follow up with a better team anytime soon lol. GG to everyone.

Reks

Quote from: Shintroy on April 25, 2015, 11:16:59 pm
Fire Absorb vs Unorthodoxed Disruption(?)
My team cancels out a lot of status and Rouroni's team doesn't have enough damage/AOE to keep up with the tankyness.

Round 1 - Chemist gets caught in a ditch and turns into a perma 4v3. Chemist dies tho.

Round 2 - Rouroni gets a taste of Vitamin R(ouroni) when the Counter Magic pretty much closes the round. Quick 4v3 again when the Dancer gets seperated. Chemist dies multiple times somehow again.

GG. Really bad match up for Rouroni. Such is the life of the strange teams.

Also with the Wizard, she will mainly go for fire spells when there's an AOE or another unit is in range and she can heal/hurt at the same time.

Crosses vs Unfaith
12 minute video so I know TrueLight won this. The damage is unreal.

Round 1 - PERFECT

Round 2 - Not possible

GG for Truelight. This is a S Tier team. Needs to be paired with players good teams at this point. Definitely seen what it can do. It's time to put it to the test now.

Dual Absorb vs Unorthodoxed(doxxed???) Balanced team
Both teams are pretty "Damnedy" (opposite of dandy). I think this will go to round 3 with a slight advantage to The Damned since he's absorb and does higher damage.

Round 1 - F I V E - H U N D R E D - T W E N T Y O N E. 185 Cure too? I was way off on The Damned's damage too. FFT in HD!? This match has everything. Pretty free round for Rouroni. First time I'll go back and bet on someone else. Double or nothin.

Round 2 - Would've been over a lot quicker if it weren't for all the charms landing.

GG. Looked even but N O P E. "Damn...! Damn...! DAMN!!!"

Glad the site is back. Needed these matches.
even tho mad one sided RIP
Thanks for another set of matches Barren.

I like the idea of pairing two players up more than pairing two sets of twins. The Damned and (insert name)'s PK Rocking team made me want to try out a duo team. No idea how it would work though. Maybe post two units and pair them up with another player's randomly like before?

Either way as long as the team change rule is a little clearer I'll enter.

That would be Damned and myself.

Speaking of, need to go over it again with him and see if everything's good for reposting.

But Monster Hunter owns my life at present.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

silentkaster

GG Barren. Considering changing Lore on that Chemist to Draw Out. If your team had slow, Barren, I would have probably lost. Plus, I gave her Ether so she'd refill her own MP but she never did that...oh well. Yeah, I think Draw Out might prove to be a bit better.

Barren

I'll wait until CT5Holy's match with my Five Nights Team before I decide to either change them again or retire the team

Mudvayne

Hi guys I just made a team and posted it in the team submission thread

I've been a huge fan of arena for awhile and finally made a team. Would love to see it in some matches if possible as I haven't actually tested the team out in battle yet  :oops: