• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:09:34 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Enemy only generic Jobs

Started by Zozma, February 09, 2009, 12:04:15 pm

Zozma

February 10, 2009, 09:52:05 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hehe, now if only one of those brilliant portrait makers was around....
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

February 11, 2009, 01:40:13 am #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I have to agree with Zodiac's suggestion for the pants. You don't want to make the sprite too busy so the plain pants kind of balances things out.
Current Projects:

Zozma

February 12, 2009, 07:57:27 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so anyway, about their skillsets...

Job: Sniper

Equip: Gun
Innate: Maintinance
Innate: Concentrate

Skillset: Snipe

Sidewinder = Poison OR Doom
Heartbreaker = Charm [Ignore gender]
Stun Shot = Stop
Assassination = Dead
Gravity Well = [ Like shooting "Demi" at the target]
Blast = Physical damage, perhaps with formula 2D, range of weapon. Blue magic for Mustadeo. only a few of the snipers will have this one.

They are basically like long range Assassins, their skills do have success rates, the first two skills have extremely high success rates. Assassination has the lowest success rate which actually balances out the way their AI chooses to use skills.

I added "rogue" to the list of enemy only jobs, they have no specific skillset, instead i will be making them have a random primary in addition to a secondary. with this of course is the risk of them having no skills at all, or 2 really good sets.

Skip Sandwich

February 12, 2009, 10:16:50 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
small proposed edit for mime as an Enemy-Only job, give them innate Counter Magic and Counter, and increase the number of abilities that trigger counter magic (idealy, it would trigger on any offensive skill use, forcing one to use physical attacks, which would be countered with counter, so only basic attacks from guns/bows/crossbows would really work, however, that would probably nescitate removing Counter Magic from player use, so feel free to tone this idea down to your preferences)
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

tithin

February 12, 2009, 10:36:12 pm #44 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Quote from: "Zozma"so anyway, about their skillsets...

Job: Sniper

Equip: Gun
Innate: Maintinance
Innate: Concentrate

Skillset: Snipe

Sidewinder = Poison OR Doom
Heartbreaker = Charm [Ignore gender]
Stun Shot = Stop
Assassination = Dead
Gravity Well = [ Like shooting "Demi" at the target]
Blast = Physical damage, perhaps with formula 2D, range of weapon. Blue magic for Mustadeo. only a few of the snipers will have this one.

They are basically like long range Assassins, their skills do have success rates, the first two skills have extremely high success rates. Assassination has the lowest success rate which actually balances out the way their AI chooses to use skills.

I added "rogue" to the list of enemy only jobs, they have no specific skillset, instead i will be making them have a random primary in addition to a secondary. with this of course is the risk of them having no skills at all, or 2 really good sets.

I love engineers in vanilla, and this seems like a more expounded version of engineering, so it looks really good to me.
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

Zozma

February 12, 2009, 10:48:05 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
and they are flashy too. actually having effect files.

the countering ideas are nice, i will probably add in a few more things that can be counter magic'd. being long range units their defenses WOULD be deliberately low, however since they are enemy only that is not necessary

tithin

February 12, 2009, 11:09:02 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
I'm not sure about the counternig, it's a decent idea, but at the same time, it could make them (mimes) ridiculously overpowered. If your only true counter to that unit is ranged only, that makes things difficult for melee heavy groups.
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

Zozma

February 12, 2009, 11:52:15 pm #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hmm perhaps a different form of counter, afterall one counter will always take priority over another. My intention is to make the enemies have some "broken" characters

Zozma

April 09, 2009, 03:28:43 am #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
here is a screenshot of the "white chocobo" rare encounter

rare encounters don't have enormous hp growths just because they have ??? status but there are a few benefits to running into some of them... like this one could cast "white wind" if backed into a corner, learnable by blue mages

SilvasRuin

April 09, 2009, 04:19:21 am #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
If you don't mind my input for it, I think you should change the pallet of the white chocobo a bit.  It looks like it was just sapped of all color and turned gray from it.  Keeping the feet brown could potentially help a bit.  In my experience (watching and seeing, not making anything), white in such things looks better when shaded with a not quite white color, one I favor being a pale blue.  Of course giving the feather tips another color would help break the color drain effect too, such as in these examples:  http://www.blogcdn.com/www.massively.co ... choccy.jpg , http://www.eternal-legend.com/ffxii/hun ... ckster.jpg

I think the first example actually does both.

Zozma

April 09, 2009, 04:31:44 am #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah, that has occured to me, it will be a slight tint and most likely as you said a pale blue. but for time being it works for a placeholder

SilvasRuin

April 09, 2009, 04:42:01 am #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Heh, please submit it when you've got it finished up.  I've considered using white chocobos myself, and I'm sure we aren't the only two.

Zozma

April 09, 2009, 04:43:15 am #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
holy choco, forest choco, river choco

then

dark dragon, gil dragon

SilvasRuin

April 09, 2009, 04:46:41 am #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Do you intend on yanking the dark dragon from WOTL or making one through a color edit?  I would like to hear what tricks you intend for the other chocobos have up their sleeves, but I'm sure you don't want to give away everything.

Zozma

April 09, 2009, 04:53:57 am #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
every lvl4 monster will be quite deadly. tho they dont have too much higher hp gain than any other monster with good hp growth, their mp growth is so high that youll probably never see them run out of it once they are on a decent level.

most of them will either non charge spells or short charge them.

as for the dark dragon, ill be doing a palette myself, alltho it may not be too far off from the one they had in the psp.. also holy dragons will be around as well for an enemy only job. Reis is unavailable, but when you fight her youll probably have to deal with some holy dragons as well

Skip Sandwich

April 09, 2009, 08:08:23 am #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
are those 5 monsters you listed the only 'tier 4' monsters you have plans for, or just the ones you're currently working on? How complete are they at this point?

also, that Reis + Holy Dragon battle sounds really epic
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

LastingDawn

April 09, 2009, 02:05:43 pm #56 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Gil Dragon...? Now that sounds like my kind of Dragon! Also quite creative in regards to it, hehe.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

DarthPaul

April 09, 2009, 02:22:02 pm #57 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Gil Dragon...? Now that sounds like my kind of Dragon! Also quite creative in regards to it, hehe.

I shall catch a gil dragon and name it buttercup.

Come here little buttercup, take the cheese you know you want it.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Zozma

April 09, 2009, 06:48:45 pm #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
im attempting to make a tier 4 for every monster type, i might leave out pigs if i get a humanoid moogle. but you cant recruit them of course. still
they will be rare encounters spread over ivalice.

Gil dragon, hah, yeah if i use "shine lover" effect file for his gil breath it will look like hes vacuuming the money out of you, but thats probably the closest effect i can get for gold breath.

Smitson

April 09, 2009, 07:33:04 pm #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Just wondering, overall do you think your patch is going to be harder then 1.3? I'm just trying to get a sense of how difficult is going to be.