• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Importing Custom Formation Sprites and Portraits [Warning! Image Heavy Post!]

Started by Celdia, February 11, 2011, 01:02:40 am

3lric

no, your game will work fine with iso, if its not working correctly then your doing it wrong :/ make sure to follow every step and detail exactly, I have used this method on my own Jot5 mod, which is both .bin and .iso and I've also used it on Kokojo's CoP mod which is on a .img
  • Modding version: PSX

Zetaro

alright its good but what about the sprites that dont have formation sprites like reis's dragon form? you cant replace something that is not there.
Everyone will know the name Zetaro!

3lric

Quote from: Zetaro on May 27, 2012, 02:58:24 am
alright its good but what about the sprites that dont have formation sprites like reis's dragon form? you cant replace something that is not there.

She is there, you are looking in the wrong place and replacing the wrong dragon

Zetaro

im sorry to be a bother but i dont see her. even in the dragon palettes i still dont see her.

3lric

You need the japanese version found in this post

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=407.0#msg163380

go down to the dragon and there will be a forth palette labeled S
This is the palette used for Reis (Dragon)

Zetaro

TragicHero

Okay. So I've done every single step right until the very last one where I'm supposed to right click on UNIT.bin, WLDFACE.bin and WLDFACE4.bin and import the files.  But I don't have that option at all...(see picture).  What am I doing wrong?

Celdia

Doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong in that picture, but your CDMage does look a little different from mine, thought that appears to just be the Sector Browser. I run version 1.02.1 so if you're on a different version maybe that could be part of the issue.  The only time Import File doesn't show up on my right-click menu is when I have more than one file selected. Nothing else comes to mind.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

TragicHero

ahh, yep i just had the wrong version of CDMage.  thanks a bunch!! 

fantastic guide, btw.  i'm not very bright and i followed it to a t.  :)

Celdia

LuneFencer

Currently im stuck at step 2, somehow i cant open unit.bin and wildface via fftevgrp i extract it to the same folder of the FFT iso but still i cant open it, help me please :( here is the screen shot

3lric

What happens when you go to File -> Open -> Unit.bin, then select Unit.bin?

makennedy

i made a thread on this but it seems you guys would be an excellent choice to directly ask. i followed the steps in the tutorial to insert the in-battle sprites (seems like a very simple process). they work fairly well but attack option don't appear correct and the portraits won't appear. when tryin to insert them on the couple in question (it's only a select few that are giving me problems) i get the truncated error messege(file size too large). the "types" match, any idea what caused the error and how to fix it?

Celdia

@makennedy: I've been needing to remove the link to that sprite importing tutorial for a while now. It's out of date and we have a much more user-friendly tool in Shishi that let's you just load in a BMP or SPR file without issue to your ISO directly and even lets you see how it all looks right there. If you haven't grabbed the tool pack here http://ffhacktics.com/downloads.php?id=29 yet, do so and grab a clean ISO. Open it with Shishi, scroll down the list to the unit you want to replace and then just use the Import SPR function to overwrite it with the new sprite. Its all very easy and mostly self-explanitory. If the arms on the sprite look weird in when looking at the animations for it, just swap the Type 1 <-> Type 2 settings near the bottom-center of the Shishi window. You may need to close and re-open Shishi after changing the sprite type to check the animation again depending on what version of it you use.

makennedy

that worked perfectly!!! the new shishi made it work perfectly, i can preview stuff, and the whole process is way faster/simpler. good call

jajer3

Quote from: Celdia on July 30, 2012, 02:31:50 am
@makennedy: I've been needing to remove the link to that sprite importing tutorial for a while now. It's out of date and we have a much more user-friendly tool in Shishi that let's you just load in a BMP or SPR file without issue to your ISO directly and even lets you see how it all looks right there. If you haven't grabbed the tool pack here http://ffhacktics.com/downloads.php?id=29 yet, do so and grab a clean ISO. Open it with Shishi, scroll down the list to the unit you want to replace and then just use the Import SPR function to overwrite it with the new sprite. Its all very easy and mostly self-explanitory. If the arms on the sprite look weird in when looking at the animations for it, just swap the Type 1 <-> Type 2 settings near the bottom-center of the Shishi window. You may need to close and re-open Shishi after changing the sprite type to check the animation again depending on what version of it you use.

I'm having a problem, does this method only change the in battle sprite and portrait? Can I somehow change the formation screen sprite with this? I'm sorry if you've already answered/explained this somewhere. If so I am unable to locate it.

Robrain

Quote from: plandr on September 19, 2011, 04:41:19 am
That said, perhaps this is something you or someone else has knowledge on? :)

^^ Using the ShiShi sprite editor, these are the sprites I'm seeking out to replace. They aren't used by anyone else in the game and as such don't require me to replace existing characters which is ideal to me (so I don't see duplicates of the imported characters during story battles/events).

That said, when I unpack a fresh .ISO file (without using ShiShi I'm able to do this) and use FFTEVGRP to open up the UNIT and WLD .BIN files I don't see any associated sprites with these characters. As such, even if I could successfully follow the tutorial I don't see a clear way to assign a battle formation sprite and portrait to the "free/empty" characters in the game.

Am I just missing something here?

Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

Quote from: Eternal on September 19, 2011, 05:42:40 am
I'm pretty sure you'd have to use those slots for characters that don't join you, but I'm not 100% sure on how it works.

Quote from: Zozma on October 06, 2011, 08:39:11 pm
you're wrong. you can reassign a unit.bin sprite to ANY sprite, for example, i assigned the Dancer unit.bin sprite to celia and lede's :)

Back on Page 2 Zozma stated that there was a way to reassign a UNIT.BIN sprite to ANY sprite.  However, he left no details on how to accomplish this.  I've just hit the same wall as plandr - I was utilizing some of the unused jobs / sprites to create a new job class without destroying any of the ones that are used in the game.  They work fine in battle, but they don't have any corresponding formations sprites/portraits.

Does anyone know what Zozma was referring to in his above quote?

RavenOfRazgriz

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7271.0

* - UWEntries Editor Sheet by Glain: Allows you to edit which Jobs are associated with which WLDFACE/etc entries.  Pretty simple, really.  It's included here mostly because I added it to my personal copy of my workbooks that I keep as a base for ease of use, but if he doesn't want it included in my workbook set, I'll remove it.  :v

Robrain

Many thanks to both you and Pride in the chat, who provided me with the following link:

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7833.0

I'm taking this one step at a time, so this will be my first foray into FFTorgASM.

Glain

For the record, I think it's fine to have UWEntries included in your workbook set, Raven.  Might be easier to organize a lot of that stuff in one place.  If someone only wants the UWEntries spreadsheet specifically, they can just get it from the thread.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown