• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 09:02:41 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Atma's Sprites

Started by Atma, December 16, 2011, 11:41:31 am

MiKeMiTchi

I can imagine that Wizard being hit with Blizzaga then not even care at all. Badass wiz! I hope you continue it, Atma. It's a good upgrade to the Wizard and he does look taller now.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

mav

Oh man, this sprite has so much potential. I like the direction it's headed--a very classic look. I know that a lot of spriters feel like the Black Mage/Wizard hat is too gigantic to deal with; you can see that on a couple of the frames here. I'm tempted to suggest that you take the hat off the Elidibs sprite and work it onto this sprite. You don't have to though, cause this doesn't look bad at all.

Well done, Atma. I hope this sprite gets finished real soon.

Atma

January 29, 2013, 01:05:22 pm #102 Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:33:28 pm by Atma
I don't really like Elidibs hat, but I could throw it on pretty easily.  I'll see how it looks and might release both versions.  I kinda like the big hat ^.^
EDIT:
Here's a quick edit that has the smaller hat.  I like it, but I feel it's too proportioned and not as whimsical as FF is supposed to be when it comes to Wizards/Black Mages.  I'll do both, but for myself I'm probably gonna use the bigger hat  :D
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

GeneralStrife

I love both of them a helluva lot so far!

Neophyte Ronin

The other day I was thinking about a mod that replaces the Beowulf side-quest with one that features the BLACK MAGE THAT CASTS THE SPELLS THAT MAKE THE PEOPLE FALL DOWN from 8-Bit Theater.  Finish this sprite and you will have made my Type B mod version's day.

Lijj

I like the bigger hat myself.
  • Modding version: PSX

Atma

As do I.  I was thinking of making a medium size hat, just a small edit to the brim, but I doubt I will.  Tried a little band around the hat... looks pretty good, so I'll probably add it to one of the finished versions.

Atma

WOOT!
Bulk of the work is done.  Here's it's current state.  All frames are done.  I have yet to test any of it in Shishi, so I'd suspect there are things that need fixing.  Take a look if you'd like to see how it is.  I'll probably not get back to this for a few days... weekend, ya know  ;)
Comments and crits, welcome.

Reks

Nice work, VERY nice work.

Looks very much like the Black Mages of old, indeed.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Lijj

Hmm if this turns out right with all the frames looking good maybe this should be in JOT5. We'd just need a female counterpart as well.
  • Modding version: PSX

Atma

OMG <hair pull> I overwrote my working .psd file when I made that preview .bmp.  All my layers and masking... gone QQ
THANKFULLY the majority of it was done, but I wanted to keep those pieces for making future projects easier.
I'm going through the frames, definitely needs tweaking.  As you could imagine the hat cuts into a lot of the frames with the arms.
It's going alright, but I'll probably take a break for a bit.  Gonna start my brainstorming for the female counterpart, soon.

mav

Both hats look nice to me, but the finished product with the big hat looks nice. What are your plans for the portrait on this masterpiece?

Kagebunji

Hey Atma, how is this coming along? You still working on these?

MiKeMiTchi

Well I don't think Atma's planning to finish its port soon, so we can help with that if we want.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Atma

I haven't touched the sprite in a while.  I have gone through quite a few attack frames to fix how the arms line up and fixed some shading.  Still have more to do, but I've been playing a lot of Starcraft and Guild Wars.  I'll get to finishing this eventually.  As well as a female version.

Atma

Finished! (kinda... beta stage..?)
Might be a little wonky when it's animated.  I still have a problem checking animations with Shishi.  Hat may look a little odd during walking frames.  The arms look a little odd in the Chocobo mounted frames (I think that's what they are), but I don't care about that at the moment.  Palettes are original to the regular Wizard, but doesn't look too good on some of them, so I'll probably play with it a bit. 
Changed the portrait a bit.  Opened up his collar and changed some details and shading, but mostly the same.
If you feel like trying it in game, go for it.  Let me know what needs fixing.

Mobius

This is so good.

Something about the originals just felt, off, somehow.

Especially female.
Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

Kagebunji

Good job Atma. I will test this as soon as I get the chance. This surely is a more classic version of a Black Mage, fits a lot more than Vanilla IMO.

azavier

do u know who a good idea it would be to replace Lavian and Alicia with ? I tried replacing with the Funeral priest and Celie ( Never Used) but the arms are disconnected because the Alicia And Lavian sprites are type 2 while the priest and celie are type 1. help ? :] thank you! I really love them and would like to use them

Atma

For replacing the sprites, you just have to change the type in Shishi from what you're overwriting to what you're overwriting it with.  So, if the new sprite is TYPE 1 make sure the type dropdown box matches it.  As far as I know that should fix that.  Had quite a mess with arms when I made the Ronin sprite.  Learnt my lesson.