• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:16:45 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

The role of History in Mercenaries (Hedin Sidequest)

Started by LastingDawn, November 20, 2008, 09:34:30 pm

Archael

March 03, 2009, 06:10:55 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Smitson"
Quote from: "Voldemort"Idea #1:

You know... You could make some random battle bosses which have only ONE way of being damaged... one weakness, or something like that... and then the weakness is only found in the Historical Archives.

Just a thought:

Perhaps even some important storyline bosses can only be defeated by visiting this place.

Idea #2:

Make some a ??? class of enemies which are not difficult at all, but their strength lies in their stats / items being hidden (No HP Modifying gear!).

Then you could put some rare items on some of them, stealable. By visiting the Historical Archices / Hedin, you could find WHICH specific ??? enemies carry the rare items, since their inventory / what slots they are utilizing are hidden to the player.

Idea #3:

Historical Archives can be the only place in the game to find out where some rare, very rare, items are located on maps. (Don't know if you still have MFI.)

The thing about #1 is if the battles random and there's only one way to hurt this boss, you might not have what's required to hurt it. There's no way to prepare.

And?

Having an idea from Hedin on how to kill something in a random battle (prepared or not)

is better than running into the battle without any idea how to kill it period.

Do not fear the Game Over, it's not that bad.

Dominic NY18

June 02, 2009, 11:47:53 pm #41 Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:25:22 pm by Dominic NY18
It's been awhile since my last post in here. Here's my latest addition to the memoirs. I'll probably add it to my first post in the thread after I write up a few more entries.

QuoteWandering Rouges
Entry 1
St. Victor has decided that we should head to Dorter. Not surprisingly, some of the others complained about the Order possibly searching for us there. He silenced them by pointing out that there was a section of the city that was seldom visited. Any search efforts for them would focus on Gallione's border towns, not on its most prominent merchant hub. We could hide there without fear of being discovered by the Order or bounty hunters. But frankly, I'm not worried about potential danger in Dorter so much as I'm worried about what (female cadet) thinks of me now.

I can pick up and wield a blade with ease, or conjure spells in the blink of an eye. Why then am I cowardly when it comes to romance? The best I could in my "talk" with her was hint at my feelings for her. Her response was a confused look, followed by realization of what I was talking about and then, a tired dismissal. "This isn't the time or place for this" was her reply. Not exactly what I thought I'd hear. And definitely not what I wanted to hear.

We make for the city in a few hours and I'm exhausted, physically and mentally. I think I'll spend that time resting.

Entry 2
This is the first time since I've left home that I've regretted joining the military. Our lack of luck continued once we arrived in the abandoned section of Dorter, as we apparently walked right into an ambush.

The cloaks of our attackers marked them as former brigade members. We do our best to hold our assailants at bay, but it's obvious that they are no amateurs. I end up taking an arrow to the arm and before I can glimpse the wound, a gash to my right leg. I'm only saved from certain death as one my companions take advantage of the opening to cut down the swordsman who got a strike on me.

As I shout out the position of the archer who struck me with an arrow, a loud scream cuts through the din of metal. My heart sinks as I see (female cadet) being dragged onto the back of a chocobo. Before they can flee with her though, a flash of steel sends the bird, rider, and captive tumbling through the air. The strange blonde haired figure then catches her before she hits the ground, sets her down and plants a kiss on her hand while whispering to her. The smug bastard!!

The mystery figure then lets loose a sharp whistle. The bedlam began anew as groups of warriors came out of hiding and began attacking the brigade. It wasn't long before the remaining brigade members were lying dead, wounded or had fled. The newcomers then began advancing toward us before the mystery man signaled for them to stop.

Entry 3
After a few minutes of getting my bearings straight, I recognized the identity of our would-be saviors. These were the same people who dispatched us with ease during our last visit to Dorter. After some quiet discussion between (Ramza) and the apparent leader of this lot, we were signaled into the doorway of one of the nearby buildings to discuss things in detail.

The leader introduced himself as Gafgarion, the leader of a skilled group of mercenaries. I inwardly groaned at the thought of working with sellswords and wondered how someone so young could lead a group of mercenaries. It's usually older war veterans who lead mercenary groups. Gafgarion stated that he was under the employ of the Gallione Alliance, which made me even more apprehensive about the situation. Dycedarg had sent him to make sure (Ramza) remained safe. He then offered us a "golden" opportunity to join his ranks. Tch. It would certainly make his job easier...

Our leader politely stated that he would need time to think about his offer. Gafgarion then motioned to (cadet's) corpse outside the building while saying he didn't want any more deaths to occur. He was struck twice by arrows before taking a fatal stab wound to the abdomen during our melee with the brigade. To us, it was a painful loss of a capable chemist, comrade-in-arms, and friend. He just used (late cadet) as a subtle insult, reminding us of what had just taken place as well as who had saved us.

I've only known him for a few minutes, but I'm already tired of his presence.

But speaking of one's presence, where is (female cadet) hiding at?

LastingDawn

June 03, 2009, 12:39:06 am #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Looking good Dominic, and it's my fault really for not giving you an overview until just last night.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Eternal

July 12, 2009, 06:10:18 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
6 month bump, ftw!

Anywho, some names for the Entries on Page 1.

Entry 1:   The Melancholy Scholar
Entry 2:   The Road to Chivalry
Entry 3:   First Impressions
Entry 4:   Books and Brigands
Entry 5:   To Be Highborn
Entry 6:   The Spellweaver
Entry 7:   A Companionship
Entry 8:   Vagrant Dogs
Entry 9:   Crossroads to Destiny
Entry 10:   An Omen
Entry 11:   Victor's Morals
Entry 12:   No Sooner Speak the Devil's Name...
Entry 13:   Cashmere Prison
Entry 14:   Magick of Love
Entry 15:   Fleeing from Death
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

LastingDawn

July 12, 2009, 08:16:41 pm #44 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Great new entries! I am really liking the characterization you are giving this Dominic!

Art of War

Dominic NY18

August 25, 2009, 12:05:41 am #45 Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:36:57 am by Dominic NY18
QuoteEntry 4
While tracking through the (Sweegy Woods), Anselm begins joking about some of the people around us. Despite the miserable conditions we're marching through, we all smile at his mockery of us. Anything to distract us from the mire we're trekking through.

After we all joined in, Anselm turned his comedic attention toward St. Victor. To his credit, our leader takes it in stride, even making jokes of his own. As the loud chemist makes another joke at St. Victor's expense, the troupe breaks out into more laughter as he promptly trips over some underbrush and falls flat on his face into the mud.

Mayhap the gods themselves decided to join in on the fun.

I try blinking away the tears that arise as the uninvited memory runs its course and a requiem begins. Even as I see his hastily made coffin being covered in dirt, I swear that I can hear him next to me, laughing at the priest.

"You guys really shouldn't allow yourselves to be torn up over this. Not to the point of joining up with these untrustworthy mercenaries and their craven, greedy leader. Gafgarion can't be trusted any further than his incoveniently long hair billows into the wind. Sure, it's far for hair length, but not nearly enough for trustworthiness. I hope our leader with the strange cowlick comes to his senses eventually. Else I'll have to stick around for a little while longer. I don't think we want that. And dammit, couldn't the church spare someone who's in good spiritual and physical shape?"

Despite the tears and miserable rain on this somber night, I smiled for the first time that day.

LastingDawn

August 25, 2009, 12:17:15 am #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Very well done, at first I was confused (which was plainly the purpose used to emotional effect) about the Sweegy Woods scene, though I see you used it masterfully to show a softer time for them all and for their fallen friend. In just one short paragraph the character is missed, despite not being formally introduced until that moment, the pain of his passing comes across as very genuine, as well as showing a bit more of Badum's character. I have to say this has been one of my favorites yet!

Art of War

Dominic NY18

September 08, 2009, 12:58:48 am #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
I don't care much for this entry at all. Hopefully, I can clean it up.

QuoteEntry 5

A few days after the ambush, I'd gotten back into a semblance of a morning routine, as I spent the morning with my face buried in the grimoire again. With all that's taken place these past few weeks, I've neglected skills and I'm sure my form is a little off. It doesn't help that Penelope is current doing her best to stay as far away from me as possible. Is that foppish man really that interesting?

Before I can begin mulling over our current status, I overhear everyone else arguing over whether we should join Gafgarion's group. I don't trust those sellswords at all, but I certainly don't have any ideas about what we should do. I was going to speak to St. Victor in private about this, so turned back to my readings. And then she spoke.

I glanced over to where everyone else was speaking as Penelope gave her piece about why we should join Gafgarion. She reasoned that we had no current prospects for employ, nor did we have any particular direction or goals to aim for at the moment. "No one would hire a group of freelancers fresh out of the military academy with a shady past," she says to St. Victor. "Guilds, other institutions, and the gentry do just that all of the time" was my response, making sure to put as much venom in my voice as possible. Had she lost her wits as well during that last battle!?

As I thought about it longer, of course she would be more than happy to join these sellswords. She had become inseperable from Gafgarion during these past few days.

Though Betrand, Gloriana and I were opposed, St. Victor had already made his mind up. We will be joining Gafgarion at least temporarily, with conditions. Was he serious!? There must something he's keeping from us. I'll ask him about this later.

Penelope has already left out of the room, practically floating on a cloud along the way. My mind already knows why we've drifted away from each other, but I just can't accept it.

After what just took place, I can't bring myself to finish my readings now. At this rate, I'm liable to forget my spells altogether.

Dominic NY18

Wow, it's been awhile. I won't give any excuses, but I'll just post some new entries instead.

QuoteEntry 6 [/b]
We headed for the royal capital the day after we joined Gafgarion's group. One we arrived in Lesalia, four of his underlings went their separate ways. Their contracts had expired and Gafgarion didn't want to renew them. He didn't say it, but his reasons were obvious to us. The people leaving the group wanted more money than Gafgarion was willing to part with and we were at least as good in a pinch. I feel better knowing that part of his motivation for hiring us was to save some of his coin.

And so there were nine of us.

Gafgarion paid for accommodations at an inn/tavern in the merchant section of the city. Despite his frugality, the inn is surprisingly good. The rooms aren't large, but they are comfortable and the food is excellent.

Entry 7[/b]
It's strange. I have to admit that this wasn't what I was expecting.

Our clients are usually various military parties and minor nobility who have some pressing concern but cannot solve the problem themselves. The missions involve slaying especially strong beasts and fiends causing some manner of trouble or performing some important task. Because these are mostly local problems, the knightly orders give them little priority and the urban garrison has its hands tied providing security in the city (keeping the masses in their place).

Gafgarion is also much less demanding than I imagined. He gives us whatever missions and errands come up and takes a small portion of the earnings upon successful completion. He doesn't even have an interest in the non-monetary gifts and trinkets our clients often reward us with. He's less a leader and more a middle man between us and our clients. Which is fine with me, as I have no interest in dealing with him while on an errand. It's probably a part of whatever agreement he and Ramza reached.

Still, all of this monster hunting reminds me more of the stories of clans from antiquity I'd read about in the academy. Then again, we don't know what kind of missions Gafgarion personally goes on and Ivalice is enjoying relatively peaceful times.

Again, this doesn't bother me, as I'd rather be a clan member ultimately working for the good of the populace than a soldier selling his sword to the highest bidder.

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

Ooh, Entry 7 was especially delightful. I'm going to need to takes some time to catch up with this topic. Great stuff, Dominic.

Dominic NY18

LastingDawn

Haha! By all means Dominic, feel free to continue writing.

Art of War

LastingDawn

Updates to backstory.

In the Brave Story bio's of the characters I fleshed out what the world Saw of these characters from the historical documents that were common place. More or less talking about folklore surrounding the characters.

Here's a taste of what the bio's look like.

Ramza Beoulve

{Ramza} Beoulve (Age:{0xE4}){Newline}
          Either the "Root of all evil" in the world or a{Newline}
          Saint among men. Historical recordsof{Newline}
 the youngest Beoulve are deeply conflicted.{Newline}
 The official record, compiled by {Newline}
Delerof of Gariland has long been known to{Newline}
be full of inaccuracies and contradictions.{Newline}
In recent years, two prominent men have{Newline}
taken to uncovering the mystery of{Newline}
those times. The chief among these{Newline}
uncoverings was the untold story of{Newline}
Ramza Beoulve, a subject{Newline}
Delerof's record never mentions. {Newline}
Supplemental material mention the{Newline}
enigamatic warlord in scarcest detail.{Newline}
They mention a close eye kept on the{Newline}
rebel Warlord from all sides of the war,{Newline}
including Haeralis the Brave's{Newline}
personal notes. The records mention{Newline}
comings and going and nothing else.{Newline}
This lead to much speculation of his role.{Newline}

Haeralis the Brave (Delita Hyral)

Haeralis the Brave (Age:{0xE4}){Newline}
          Given name, Delita Hyral.{Newline}
          The peasant turned king, united{Newline}
 the land of Ivalice shortly after the Lion War.{Newline}
His success in the eyes of history has been{Newline}
a mystery to many historians. By all means{Newline}
the Glabados Faith with its enormous{Newline}
influence should have taken Ivalice.{Newline}
Delerof's records say that{Newline}
Murond Holy Place had a severe{Newline}
epidimic and it wiped out the majority{Newline}
of the faithful in the sanctuary.{Newline}
Legend says it was the{Newline}
Hero-Queen Ovelia that supported{Newline}
his rise and by her power,{Newline}
he was made King of Ivalice.{Newline}
The origin of "the Brave" part of his title,{Newline}
has been lost to time.

Hero-Queen Ovelia

Hero-Queen of Ivalice. (Age:{0xE4}){Newline}
          Given name, Ovelia Atkascha. Was the wife{Newline}
         of Haeralis the Brave.{Newline}
 Legends abound about this woman, from her involvement in{Newline}
the peaceful disarmament of an enemy lord.{Newline}
To sending her bodyguard on a quest{Newline}
to save Ivalice from demons.{Newline}
Her most popular legend{Newline}
is in recruiting Haeralis the Brave to save Ivalice.{Newline}
In the Black Lion's 'protection' she realized she was{Newline}
being used by him to make a claim to the throne.{Newline}
She called upon Haeralis the Brave, chief of her{Newline}
knights to end the war once and for all. At  Bethla{Newline}
both the White Lion and the Black Lion fell and{Newline}
their followers with them. Having achieved her goal,{Newline}
the Hero-Queen disappeared into the west, leaving{Newline}
Haeralis the Brave to look after the land she had saved.

Also, if these "history/legend" characters can have unique portraits (really just "Grander" portraits than they currently have.) That would make them seem all the more official.

Also in addition to these "histories judgment" bio's there is still the normal bio's for the characters.

Art of War

Dominic NY18

I haven't forgotten about this. Sometime in the near future, I plan to overhaul every entry I've made and place them all in a single post and then start working on some newer entries.