• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:00:26 pm

Help changing some sprites

Started by DarkSlayer, April 19, 2019, 09:49:14 am

DarkSlayer

Hey there guys. So, I would like to change Ramza sprite on chapters 2 and 3. I downloaded the sprite from the sprites section, opened Shishi Sprite Editor and changed the sprites. So far, so good, but the sprites are changed only on battles.

It was easy to use Shishi Sprite Editor to make the changes. Is there an easy way to change the sprites on the formation screen too? Maybe a similar modding tool?

Thanks in advance.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Nyzer

There's another tab in Shishi. I actually forget what the name is, but you'll want to check that dropdown menu for "Formation Sprites" or something. It might be near "WLDFACE".
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

DarkSlayer

Yup, the option was there, I just missed it, thanks Nyzer.

The sprites I downloaded do not work on the unit.bin (formation screen) and wldface.bin (portrait). Is there a place to download them, just as I did with the sprites? Or maybe a way to convert them? I never used these programs and I am quite new to this.

Thanks in advance.

DarkSlayer

I managed to change the formation screen sprite, but I think I am doing something wrong with the portrait. I mean, the sprites are perferct, but the portrait is glitchy.

Check the attachment, please.

Weird hum, does this happens to anyone else, or just me?

xjamxx

• Modding version: PSX
<Random> This seems to be a PSX issue.
<Elric> A psx issue? That makes no sense. Sounds more like an issue with your OS.

Nyzer

The formation sprite and portrait use different image files than the spritesheet.

The spritesheet portrait uses a different palette than the sprite itself. You should be able to learn more by checking the Tutorials out.

DarkSlayer

Nyzer, I have read the turorial on the link, the problem is that the sprites I posted are the ones I download from the site. I just downloaded and opened them, and they were like that.

On the tutorial I see Celdia picking the portrait from the sprite file, with the portrait in the end, and in horizontal orientation, right? Well when I open my sprite file, it has those buggy colors.

I will check the tutoriasl again, but any help or advise is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Nyzer

Yeah, they're supposed to be like that. The portraits don't use the sprite palettes. They use Palettes 9-16. Check out the Franken-spriting tutorial, CONMAN mentions palettes and how to see them in GraphicsGale.

DarkSlayer

Whops, so they really are different things.  :roll:

Thanks Nyzer, I will check the tutorial you mentioned and try some things.   :D

3lric

Open the sprite in Palette Editor by Xif. Found in the tools section. To fix weird port issue which happens when exporting from shishi
  • Modding version: PSX

DarkSlayer

Thanks Elric, I will try that  :)