• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:52 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[Old] Do you take suggestions? Because I have suggestions.

Started by ArkthePieKing, June 12, 2015, 03:30:09 am

ArkthePieKing

I also know that this kind of thing can seem rude, so before I go stepping on toes I always want to ask about it first. That said, I've got some ideas for the Red Mage class I'd like to suggest if you'd be willing to hear them. I'm a huge, huge, HUGE Red Mage fan (I have a Red Mage tattoo!) and I built Red Mage into a hack I played for personal use a while back and it worked quite well, and I wanted to spitball a couple ideas I'd implemented if you were interested in them. If not I completely, and totally understand and wish you well nonetheless.

Dome

Of course I do.
I always listen if someone has something to say  :)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

ArkthePieKing

June 12, 2015, 04:49:22 am #2 Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:01:07 am by ArkthePieKing
Awesome!

Well one of the definitive traits of the Red Mage from FFV and onward was Doublecast. Obviously there'd be no feasible way to do that, but it could be emulated with a bit of creativity, and that's what I'd done. Using the multihit formula I set it to always roll a 2, and balanced the skill accordingly. With a sufficiently high MP cost, low base damage and strong scaling you could have a really balanced, flavorful take on Doublecast. When I did it, it came in Fire, Ice, and Thunder varieties, but upon reflection it could also come as a cure. I used some other animations besides the Black Mage ones when I did it, though I can't remember at all where the basis came from. If I were going to put forward what I'd take off, I'd probably suggest either the -ara spells for redundancy, or Bio, Haste, Slow, and Pray Faith since they seem a touch out of place in their roster in my personal opinion.

Just give it some consideration if you'd like. I think it would make a good capstone ability for a class that traditionally doesn't get fun capstones. :)

Edit: Went rummaging through some old stuff and found the formula I'd used was 5E, which hits 1+X times. It's used for Triple Flame and Triple Thunder, so dropping X to 1 would make it hit 1+1 times, or 2 times. I should also mentioned I made the spells single target so as not to be completely useless.

Dome

"Doublecast" is indeed a cool Red Mage ability.
Sadly, as far as I know (more knowledgeable ppl might correct me on this) the only way to make such a spell in FFT without hacking is to use the same formula used by Rafa & Malak' vanilla spells;
The problem with that formula is that it doesn't use faith in the dmg calculation, which sucks because it should "doublecast" spells that normally use it...

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

ArkthePieKing

Yeah, you're right. The formula I put up is 5E Dmg_((MA+Y)/2*MA) #Hit_(X+1) 6.25% Status. So no Faith calculations at all. That didn't turn me off at all, but I can see where it would be offputting for you. It could also be a selling point for the class, getting some Faith ignoring, double hitting spells as a capstone ability.

Mikail

That sounds pretty interesting imo, though, I do like the versatility they currently have. I do have to say that when I saw certain spells I found it a little weird.