• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:12:47 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFVI Hardtype 1.2 (Updated February 3, 2012)

Started by Eternal248, November 10, 2009, 12:14:32 am

woodenbandman

December 10, 2009, 05:13:02 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by woodenbandman
Ehh. Not to detract from you or anything, but I generally would play this game more for the story. Who knows, though, I may just check this out and redownload all my roms again. For the trillionth time.

Eternal

December 10, 2009, 05:19:51 pm #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Yes, that's why I left the story untouched. That way people can play through and enjoy the story whilst still having a semblance of a challenge. It'd be blasphemy to touch the story. =P
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Eternal

December 17, 2009, 04:34:03 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Update time!

Romhacking.net has accepted VI Hardtype and added it to their website! Thanks again to everyone that provided input into this project!
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

jezzicaz789

Quote from: "Eternal248"Final Fantasy VI (Known as Final Fantasy III when it first came out for the SNES) is probably my favorite Final Fantasy of all time (Tied with Tactics, of course.) However, it's not exactly... the most difficult of games. For years I've been searching for an editor that even an idiot like me could use to make the game a tad more difficult.

I stumbled upon the Final Fantasy VI Multi-Editor, a wonderful program that, much like the Patcher, is an easy to use tool to edit enemies, items, and other parts of the game. As a result, I've decided to use the Editor to attempt and create a hardtype version of Final Fantasy VI for the SNES.

tl;dr- I'm making a hardtype with an editor because my hacking skills are nonexistent.

Changes Made:

Enemies now have more HP/MP and can use much stronger abilities.

Items have GBA names, and are much more unique to characters now, meaning only a few characters can use certain types of items.

Espers are changed, meaning spells/spell rates are changed.

Ultima can now be used by 2 people- Terra and Celes. Terra learns it at 99 as usual, and Celes learns it via the Paladin's Shield, which is now unique to her.

Cyan's Speed has received a boost, and his Katana now raise Speed.

Umaro's received a rather large boost, and his Blizzard Orb makes him much stronger.

Blue Magic has been altered, but I need feedback on the changes. For the most part, quite a few spells have been changed- and I need feedback on those as well.

Tools has been changed.

Mog now has Innate: Jump, rather than Fight- which means you now have to choose between a defensive attack (Jump), luck (Dance), or Magic.

Setzer can now use a huge amount of Back Row weapons, meaning he can be quite a defensive powerhouse.

Ghost Train now has a Shop on the second part of the train, but it's glitched and I need feedback on how to make it... not... glitched. =P

Terra now uses mostly Rods with a few Swords late-game, whereas Celes uses mostly Swords with a few Rods. Their roles are quite a bit more distinguished.

Relics are now much more limited as far as who can use them.

Phantom Train is Suplexable again (I think LD would have killed me otherwise)

Quite a few other changes have been made- but you'll have to look for them yourselves. ;)

Also, for those interested in said editor, here's the link:
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/86/

Lunar IPS
http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/

Final Fantasy VI Hardtype Patch (.ips) FINAL VERSION:
http://www.eternal.ffhacktics.com/Final ... 0FINAL.zip

Such a very amazing link!
Thank you for the post.

Eternal

I'm still working on Newtype folks, so no, that project isn't abandoned. I'm just taking a slight break to refocus and hopefully get some new ideas to add in with the new stuff I'm adding in. =P

Anyways, looking back at my old files, I admit that I'm really not happy with how my FFVI Hardtype hack came out. Thus, over the course of the next few weeks I'll be revising it, and revamping a ton of stuff. This includes the following:

-Revamping the magic-learning system:

My plans are simple. Limit (highly) what spells are limited to be learned via Espers. Each character can learn a set of universal spells which are learnable via Espers. Those are listed below.

Fire
Fire 2
Bolt
Bolt 2
Ice
Ice 2
Cure
Cure 2
Confuse
Float
Poisna
Poison
Silence

Additionally, Espers will not have stat bonuses, and each character will grow based on their own stats. I've done some rough planning about what spells would be learned via Espers, and which Espers would simply be usable as Summons (as they were kinda meant to be in the first place).

Ramuh:
Bolt   x5

Ifrit:
Fire   x5

Shiva:
Ice   x5

Siren:
Silence   x3

Terrato:
Poison   x5

Shoat   (Summon only)

Maduin:
Fire   x10
Ice   x10
Bolt   x10

Bismark    (Summon only)

Stray:
Confuse   x2

Palidor:
Float   x5

Tritoch:
Fire 2   x3
Ice 2   x3
Bolt 2   x3

Odin      (Summon only)

Raiden   (Summon only)

Bahamut    (Summon only)

Alexander   (Summon only)

Crusader   (Summon only)

Ragnarok   (Summon only)

Kirin:
Cure   x5

Zoneseek   (Summon only)

Carbuncle   (Summon only)

Phantom   (Summon only)

Seraph:
Poisna:   x5

Golem   (Summon only)

Unicorn:
Cure 2   x2

Fenrir    (Summon only)

Starlet   (Summon only)

Phoenix    (Summon only)

So you ask yourself: where the heck do all the other spells come from? Simple: items.

Under this system, characters would learn a variety of spells (based partially on their Jobs, more on that below) from their equipment, which is far more limited than they were previously. This means that there might be times when you have to forego getting a certain equipment upgrade, because you might want the spell taught by the old piece of equipment.

Below is a list of equipment that would teach spells, what spell it would teach, the rate, and who can equip it. Note that not all equipment teaches spells. Sorry that the format looks weird- that's what I get for copying and pasting from Notepad. =P

MAIN GAUCHE   (Locke)
Protect x1

ASSASSIN   (Shadow)
Death  x1

VALIANT KNIFE   (Locke)
Raise 3 x1

RUNE BLADE   (Celes)
Silence x2

FLAMETONGUE   (Terra)
Fire 2 x3

ICEBRAND   (Celes)
Ice 2   x3

THUNDERBLADE   (Terra, Celes, Strago)
Bolt 2 x3

STONEBLADE   (Terra)
Break x1

BLOOD SWORD   (Celes, Edgar)
Drain    x2

SOUL SABRE   (Edgar, Sabin)
Osmose x1

EXCALIBUR   (Celes)
Cure 3 x1

ZANTETSUKEN   (Cyan)
Death x1

LIGHTBRINGER   (Terra)
Holy   x1

RAGNAROK   (Terra)
Flare   x1

TRIDENT      (Edgar, Mog)
Ice 2   x1

HEAVY LANCE   (Edgar, Mog)
Slow   x2

IMPARTISAN   (Mog)
Imp   x3

KUNAI      (Shadow)
Telept. x1

SAKURA      (Shadow)
Poison x2

ICHIGEKI   (Shadow)
Vanishx2

KAGENUI      (Shadow)
Stop   x2

KAZEKIRI   (Cyan)
Bolt 2 x1

MURASAME   (Cyan)
Cure 2 x1

MASAMUNE   (Cyan)
Haste x2

HEALING ROD   (Terra, Strago, Relm, Gogo)
Cure 2 x2

MYTHRIL ROD   (Terra, Strago, Relm, Gogo)
Poisna x5

FLAME ROD   (Terra, Strago, Relm, Gogo)
Fire 2 x2

ICE ROD      (Celes, Strago, Relm, Gogo)
Ice 2   x2

THUNDER ROD   (Strago, Relm, Gogo)
Bolt 2 x2

POISON ROD   (Terra, Strago, Gogo)
Bio x1

HOLY ROD   (Relm)
Holy   x1

GRAVITY ROD   (Terra, Strago, Gogo)
Demi x3

MAGUS ROD   (Strago)
Meteor x1

CHOCOBO BRUSH   (Relm)
Haste x5

DAVINCI BRUSH   (Relm)
Reflect x5

MAGICAL BRUSH   (Relm)
Cure 3 x3

RAINBOW BRUSH   (Relm)
Arise   x1

DEATH TAROT   (Setzer)
Death x2

VIPER DARTS   (Setzer)
Rasp   x4

DICE      (Setzer)
Warp    x3

KAISER CLAW   (Sabin)
Berserk x2

VENOM CLAWS   (Sabin)
Poison x3

BURNING FIST   (Sabin)
Fire x10

AEGIS SHIELD   (Terra, Celes)
Shell   x5

FLAME SHIELD   (Terra, Gogo)
Fire 3 x1

ICE SHIELD   (Celes, Gogo)
Ice 3   x1

THUNDER SHIELD   (Strago, Gogo)
Bolt 3 x1

TORTOISE SHIELD   (Mog)
Imp   x2

PALADIN SHIELD   (Celes)
Ultimax1

FORCE SHIELD   (Terra, Cyan, Edgar, Celes, Mog, Gogo)
Reflect x3

HYPNOCROWN   (Relm)
Sleep    x4

CAT-EAR HOOD   (Relm)
Haste 2 x1

SAUCER      (Mog)
Imp x2

NINJA GEAR   (Shadow)
Blind   x1

MIRAGE VEST   (Shadow, Setzer)
Vanish x5

LUMINOUS ROBE   (Strago, Relm, Gogo)
Regen x10

REED CLOAK   (Mog)
Imp x3

SNOW SCARF   (Mog, Gau)
Ice 2   x5

PROTECT RING   (Cyan, Edgar, Setzer, Mog, Umaro)
Shell   x1
Protect x1

HERMES SHOES   (Locke, Shadow, Setzer)
Haste x1

REFLECT RING   (Terra, Celes, Strago, Relm, Umaro)
Reflect x2

Below is a list of each character, and what spells they will be able to use.

Terra:
Bio
Bolt
Bolt 2
Break
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Demi
Demi 2
Dispel
Fire
Fire 2
Fire 3
Flare
Float
Holy
Ice
Ice 2
Melt
Poisna
Poison
Quake
Raise
Raise 2
Reflect
Shell
Silence
Ultima

Celes:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Cure 3
Drain
Esuna
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Haste
Haste 2
Holy
Ice
Ice 2
Ice 3
Meteor
Poisna
Poison
Protect
Reflect
Scan
Shell
Silence
Ultima
Vanish
Whirl

Edgar:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Drain
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Ice
Ice 2
Osmose
Poisna
Poison
Protect
Reflect
Shell
Silence
Slow

Sabin:
Berserk
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Ice
Ice 2
Osmose
Poisna
Poison
Silence

Locke:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Haste
Ice
Ice 2
Poisna
Poison
Protect
Raise 3
Silence

Relm:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Cure 3
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Haste
Haste 2
Holy
Ice
Ice 2
Poisna
Poison
Raise 2
Reflect
Regen
Silence
Sleep

Strago:
Bio
Bolt
Bolt 2
Bolt 3
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Demi
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Ice
Ice 2
Meteor
Poisna
Poison
Reflect
Regen
Silence

Gau:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Ice
Ice 2
Poisna
Poison
Silence

Mog:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Ice
Ice 2
Imp
Poisna
Poison
Silence
Slow

Setzer:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Death
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Haste
Ice
Ice 2
Poisna
Poison
Protect
Rasp
Shell
Silence
Vanish
Warp

Shadow:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Death
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Haste
Ice
Ice 2
Poisna
Poison
Poison
Silence
Stop
Teleport
Vanish

Cyan:
Bolt
Bolt 2
Confuse
Cure
Cure 2
Death
Fire
Fire 2
Float
Haste
Ice
Ice 2
Poisna
Poison
Protect
Shell
Silence

Gogo mimics the spells from people in the party, and Umaro can't learn magic.

-Jobs

Each character in VI had a very loose job that they fit into. I intend to further structure them into these jobs so that they are more unique. Below is a list of each character, what Job they are, and what their general purpose in battle is.

Locke: Thief (Focused in Speed, although not Evasion- uses some support magic such as Haste, and Life 3)

Terra: Red Mage (Focused in Magic and Attack, but tends to be better magically as she grows, uses destructive magic.)

Celes: Paladin (Focused in Defense, as well as using supportive magic to buff her allies.)

Mog: Dragoon (Focused in Speed and Defense, uses Jump to dodge attacks and Dances for a variety of effects- uses Imp magic.)

Edgar: Knight (Focused in Attack and Defense, can use basic defensive magic, and has a variety of Tools to do various things.)

Sabin: Monk (Focused in Attack and HP, can cast Berserk to increase his own strength.)

Relm: White Mage (Uses a variety of White Magic, with the ability to use Cure 3 and Life 2 to great use later on.)

Strago: Blue Mage/Sage (Can use a huge range of skills, from Bio, to Regen, to Meteor, to his Blue Magic)

Gau: Whatever Gau Is (Uses what he uses normally- his Rages let him do just about anything.)

Setzer: Gambler (Focuses in a variety of potent skills, able to use some defensive magic and basic status ailments.)

Shadow: Ninja/Saboteur (Focuses on Evasion, and uses a ton of very potent status ailments to assassinate enemies.)

Cyan: Samurai (Focues in Attack, Defense, and Magic Defense, and can use very basic defensive statuses at the cost of Speed.)

Gogo: Mime (Average in every stat, and can use every spell from each character in the active party.)

Umaro: Berserker (Focused highly in Attack and Speed and can dish out a ton of damage.)

As well as the changes mentioned above, the cost of spells will be changed, probably, as will the cost of items and equipment.

Further gameplay changes will include changes to enemy AI (I'm not quite happy with all the enemies just yet. They're not very interesting, IMO) as well as potentially new bosses.

-New attack/spell names

This has driven me batty, looking back on it. I'm not quite sure why I let certain weird translations pass through (I'm looking at you, Sour Breath), but I'll go through and change those. Sadly, there is a limit to how many characters that can be used for each attack, meaning one must be brief with the names. Suggestions are welcome!

-Rebalanced equipment/enemies

There is still quite a bit of balancing to do to certain spells and pieces of equipment. Hopefully this time I'll be able to balance them just right so that each piece of equipment and each spell is balanced.

This isn't doing a totally new project, but I think it would be a really fun, short project to do (until I get back to Newtype, that is!)

As with last time, I want to hear your suggestions on what YOU would like to see in FFVI. This can be anything from enemy suggestions, item suggestions, just thoughts in general.

If you're interested in downloading the original FFVI Hardtype patch made by yours truly, the details can be found here:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/617/

*Note that the link above does NOT have these changes and this topic is basically a to-do of things to do in the revision.

Eternal

OK, so a new feature in the next version will be new superbosses. Most of them will be battled as random encounters (albeit very rare) throughout the World of Ruin. However, I want your opinion on some of the ones I'll be using. Since there's so little room for sprites from other FF's, I might have to resort to using sprites found in FFVI. That might create a conflict for a few of them. Each of the superbosses will be a well-known enemy or boss from another FF game, and will have an AI script similar to the one used by the monster in the game.

Final Fantasy- WarMECH
Final Fantasy II- Beelzebub
Final Fantasy III- Ahriman
Final Fantasy IV- Demon Wall
Final Fantasy V- Shinryu
Final Fantasy VII- Dark Nation
Final Fantasy VIII- Tiamat
Final Fantasy IX- SoulCage
Final Fantasy X- Chocobo Eater
Final Fantasy XI- Dark Rider
Final Fantasy XII- Fury

As usual, give me your thoughts/opinions.

Zaen

Oh wow. I never realized this was the VI Hardtype that I tried earlier this year/last year(can't remember).
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

SilvasRuin

Ooh, normally I hate FFVI with a passion due to 1. how much is (easily) permanently missable and 2. how arbitrary and frustrating juggling magicite for leveling purposes was.  Your changes might actually persuade me to play it again since it is eliminating one of two of my biggest grievances about the game.  (I quit playing the normal game 3/4ths of the way through due to looking at a guide and seeing just how much I had screwed up.)

While Fire, Ice, and Bolt might lackluster when Maduin becomes available, I can't help but feel that it isn't right for him to completely trump Shiva, Ramuh, and Ifrit for learning those spells.  I I would feel more comfortable if you would at least swap their learning rates or something and make him have x5 and them have x10.  You probably don't want them to learn those spells very quickly that soon in the game though, so maybe just turn down Maduin's speed to x3 or something?  Tritoch irks me in a similar fashion.  If the second tier elemental spells are going to be taught by any magicite, why not the ones actually dedicated to those elements?  Teaching both tiers might be worth enough to keep them learning them slower than Maduin and Tritoch, maybe.  I know those three are obtained relatively early in the game, but something just doesn't feel right about making magicite be rendered obsolete or near so by later magicite like other far more mundane equipment are.

Eternal

Swapping around the learn rates for Shiva/Ramuh/Ifrit with Maduin sounds fair enough. It'll help cut down on the grind when you first get those Espers, as well. The biggest thing about Maduin is that you get it almost right after Shiva and Ifrit, in the Magitek Factory, so it's hard to balance it in comparison to them.

The reason Tritoch gets the Tier 2 magic and not Shiva/Ramuh/Ifrit is because I don't want people running around with level 2 magic as soon as you get Ramuh. If you're like me, you probably grinded to get Bolt 2 (and Fire 2/Ice 2 once you got Ifrit and Shiva) as soon as possible. This way, Terra, Celes, and Strago (the mages) can get Tier 2 Magic from Thamasa (through the elemental rods) while the non-mages- people not proficient in magic- will have to wait and get them later.

Since I'm making so many large changes to the system, I'll probably have to go through and rebalance everything. Once I'm done with the superbosses, just about everything else is done. I just need to revamp the normal enemies and redo the bosses. From there, I can have people start helping me test to make sure everything is beatable and balanced. If you want to help for that purpose, feel free to let me know.

EDIT: Regarding keeping Shiva/Ramuh/Ifrit around, their summon attack will probably be only slightly weaker than Maduin's, but Maduin's is multi-elemental, meaning many enemies will be able to absorb it. Just something to think about.

beawulfx

Ooh, I like your planned new updates very much! That sounds very enticing. If this ends up coming to fruition I don't think even my massive gaming backlog could keep me from giving this a whirl.

Great work as always Eternal :)
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Eternal

Of course it's coming to fruition. Right now I'm working on the script. =P

I can post stuff more, if you guys would like.

beawulfx

I would love to read more updates on your progress, but I totally understand that this is a slow board and so feedback wouldn't be coming hard and heavy, it can feel like nobody is reading, yadda yadda yadda, so it's up to you. But I would definitely read them!
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Eternal

Well, what I'm currently doing is adding in some backstory on the characters. A lot of it is from non-canon sources, but generally it's not huge enough to make a huge impact on the story. I'm naming quite a few unnamed characters and each character is getting a little more personality.

Eternal

Warning: long post ahead.

So, I've been coming up with new, dynamic ways to alter VI's gameplay to be more fun- and different- while still maintaining what makes VI great. In doing that, I've come up with a huge change to certain gameplay aspects in addition to the ones mentioned above. I'd love your thoughts on these!

-The Dynamic Spell System-
Simply put, the Dynamic Spell System (DSS for short) is what I call simply giving each tier of magic a potential use during battle, and having higher-end spells require more strategy to use. This means that spells like Demi and Haste won't necessarily be outclassed by their level 2 counterparts, and that the Fire/Ice/Thunder/Cure magic tiers will each have their own uses in battle. It's up to the player to know when and how to use them! Listed below are the spells and their basic effects. The DSS also ensures that Summons have their own uses, and that the player would want to use them in battle. Additionally, certain spells have gimmicks that will require you to think and use them more strategically.

Fire-           Minor Fire damage and Sap on all enemies.
Fire2-   Heavy Fire damage on an enemy.
Fire3-   Moderate Fire damage to all enemies and Sap.
Ice-           Ice damage to all enemies.
Ice2-           Minor Ice damage to an enemy and Freeze.
Ice3-           Freeze on all enemies.
Bolt-           Minor Thunder damage and Blind on an enemy.
Bolt2-   Deals minor Thunder damage to four targets.
Bolt3-   Deals heavy Thunder damage to four targets, either friend or foe.
Poison-   Poisons all enemies.
Drain-   Moderate HP drain on an enemy.
Bio-           Moderate non-elemental damage and Sap on an enemy.
Break-   Earth damage and Petrify on a unit.
Death-   Instantly slays a unit.
Holy-           Holy damage and Dispels Protect/Shell/Regen.
Flare-   Moderate non-elemental piercing damage.
Demi-   Reduces the HP of all enemies by 25%
Demi2-   Reduces the HP of a single enemy by 75%
Banish-   Kills both allies and enemies.
Meteor-   Deals heavy damage to both friend and foe and kills the caster.
Ultima-   Deals heavy damage to enemies and kills the caster.
Quake-   Moderate Earth damage to friend and foe.
Whirl-   Heavy Wind damage to enemies.
Melt-           Fire damage to all units and dispels Protect/Shell/Reflect.
Scan-   Reads a target's HP, MP, Level, and Weakness at the cost of 1 MP.
Slow-           Slows a target.
Rasp-   Deals moderate MP damage to a target.
Mute-   Silences a target.
Shield-   Protects a target.
Sleep-   Puts a target to sleep.
Muddle-   Confuses an enemy.
Haste-   Hastes a target.
Stop-           Stops all friends and foes.
Enrage-   Berserks an ally.
Float-   Causes all allies to float.
Imp-           Toggles Imp on a target.
Reflct-   Casts Reflect on a unit.
Shell-   Shells a unit.
Blink-   Blinks a unit.
Haste2-   Hastes both enemies and allies.
Slow2-   Slows both enemies and allies.
Osmose-   Drains MP from an enemy.
Warp-   Escapes from battle/dungeon.
Blind-   Blinds an enemy.
Dispel-   Removes all statuses.
Cure-   Restores a moderate amount of HP to an ally.
Cure2-   Restores a small amount of HP to all allies.
Cure3-   Restores HP to a unit based on the user's lost HP.
Raise-   Revives an ally with 50% HP.
Arise-   Fully restores a fallen ally.
Chrono-   Removes Slow, Stop, and Haste.
Esuna-   Removes most negative statuses at a high MP cost.
Regen-   Imbues a unit with Regen.
Rerise-   Reraises a target, but kills it after 60 seconds.

Ramuh-   Moderate Thunder damage to all enemies.
Ifrit-      Moderate Fire damage to all enemies.
Shiva-   Moderate Ice damage to all enemies.
Siren-   Minor non-elemental damage and Silence to all enemies.
Terrato-   Heavy Earth damage to all enemies.
Shoat-   Minor Earth damage and Petrify to all enemies.
Maduin-   Moderate-heavy tri-elemental damage to all enemies.
Bismark-   Moderate Water damage to all enemies.
Stray-   Steals items from enemies.
Palidor-   Launches the party into the air for a Jump attack.
Tritoch-   Heavy Ice/Fire/Thunder damage on all enemies.
Odin-   Attempts to inflict Death on all enemies.
Raiden-   Deals heavy non-elemental physical damage to all enemies.
Bahamut-   Deals piercing magical damage to all enemies.
Alexander-   Deals heavy Holy damage to all enemies.
Crusader-   Grants the caster with Quick.
Ragnarok-   Transforms the enemy into a good item.
Kirin-   Grants the party with Regen.
ZoneSeek-   Grants the party with Shell and Muddle.
Carbuncle-   Grants the party with Reflect.
Phantom-   Renders the party invisible.
Seraph-   Greatly restores the party's HP.
Golem-   Renders the party immune to physical attacks temporarily.
Unicorn-   Purges enemies and allies of all status effects.
Fenrir-   Grants the party with Berserk and Blink.
Lakshmi-   Fully restores the party's HP.
Phoenix-   Grants Reraise and Doom to the entire party.

-Equipment Weight System-
As stated above, spells will need to be chosen and used more strategically in order to reap their effects. The same can also be said of Equipment now as well. The Equipment Weight System (EWS) gives each weapon a Speed penalty, based on how heavy it is. At times, you may wish to downgrade a piece of armor because it's lighter, and will allow you to get more turns. The same can be said of weapons and attack power. Whether you wish to be a slow and sturdy tank, or a nimble, but weak striker, it's up to your style!

The items listed below show the Speed penalty given by each item. Note that Angel Wings increase Speed by 7, effectively cancelling any equipment weight. It also grants Float, and is a crucial item for a certain area in the WoB. However, it grants a weakness to Wind, so be wary!
Dagger-   Speed -0
Mythril Dirk-   Speed -0
Main Gauche-   Speed -0
Air Knife-           Speed +1
Thief's Dirk-   Speed -0
Assassin-           Speed -0
Man-Eater-   Speed -1
Swordbreaker-   Speed -0
Gladius-           Speed +2
ValiantKnife-   Speed -0

Mythril Blade-   Speed -0
Greatsword-   Speed -2
Runeblade-   Speed -1
Flametongue-   Speed -1
Icebrand-           Speed -1
Thunderblade-   Speed -1
Bastardsword-   Speed -2
Stoneblade-   Speed -2
Blood Sword-   Speed -1
Enhancer-           Speed -1
Crystal Sword-   Speed -1
Falchion-           Speed -0
Soul Sabre-   Speed -1
Organyx-           Speed -2
Excalibur-           Speed -3
Zantetsuken-   Speed -2
Lightbringer-   Speed -1
Ragnarok-           Speed -3
Atma Weapon-   Speed -0

Mythril Pike-   Speed -1
Trident-           Speed -2
Heavy Lance-   Speed -3
Parisan-           Speed -2
Holy Lance-   Speed -3
Golden Lance-   Speed -2
Radiant Lance-   Speed -2
Impartisan-   Speed -3

Kunai-      Speed -1
Kodachi-           Speed -1
Sakura-      Speed -1
Sasuke-      Speed -1
Ichigeki-           Speed -1
Kagenui-           Speed -1

Ashura-      Speed -1
Kotetsu-           Speed -1
Kikuichimoji-   Speed -1
Kazekiri-           Speed -1
Murasame-   Speed -1
Masamune-   Speed -0
Murakumo-   Speed -2
Mutsunokami-   Speed -2

Healing Rod-   Speed -1
Mythril Rod-   Speed -0
Flame Rod-   Speed -1
Ice Rod-           Speed -1
Thunder Rod-   Speed -1
Poison Rod-   Speed -1
Holy Rod-           Speed -2
Gravity Rod-   Speed -0
Punisher-           Speed -1
Magus Rod-   Speed -1

Chocobo Brush-   Speed +2
DaVinci Brush-   Speed -0
Magical Brush-   Speed -1
Rainbow Brush-   Speed -0

Flail-              Speed -2
Moonring-           Speed -0
Morningstar-   Speed -2
Boomerang-   Speed -1
Rising Sun-   Speed -1
Hawkeye-           Speed -1
Bone Club-           Speed -2
Sniper-      Speed -0
Wing Edge-   Speed -1

Cards-      Speed -0
Darts-      Speed -0
Death Tarot-   Speed -0
Viper Darts-   Speed -0
Dice-              Speed -3
Fixed Dice-   Speed -4

Metal Knuckle-   Speed -1
Mythril Claw-   Speed -0
Kaiser Claw-   Speed -1
Venom Claws-   Speed -1
Burning Fist-   Speed -0
Dragon Claws-   Speed -2
Tigerfang-           Speed -1

Buckler-           Speed -1
Heavy Shield-   Speed -3
Mythril Shield-   Speed -1
Golden Shield-   Speed -2
Aegis Shield-   Speed -3
Diamond Shield-   Speed -2
Flame Shield-   Speed -3
Ice Shield-           Speed -3
Thunder Shield-   Speed -3
Crystal Shield-   Speed -2
Genji Shield-   Speed -4
Tortoise Shld-   Speed -2
Cursed Shield-   Speed -7
Paladin Shield-   Speed -4
Force Shield-   Speed -4

Leather Hat-   Speed -0
Hairband-           Speed -0
Plumed Hat-   Speed -0
Beret-      Speed -0
Magus Hat-   Speed -0
Bandana-           Speed -0
Iron Helmet-   Speed -2
Hypnocrown-   Speed -0
Bard's Hat-   Speed -0
Green Beret-   Speed +2
Headband-           Speed -0
Mythril Helm-   Speed -1
Tiara-      Speed -0
Golden Helm-   Speed -2
Tiger Mask-   Speed -0
Red Cap-           Speed -0
Mystery Veil-   Speed -0
Circlet-           Speed -1
Royal Crown-   Speed -0
Diamond Helm-   Speed -2
Black Cowl-   Speed +1
Crystal Helm-   Speed -2
Oath Veil-           Speed -0
Cat-Ear Hood-   Speed +3
Genji Helm-   Speed -3
Thornlet-           Speed -2
Saucer-      Speed -0

Leather Vest-   Speed -0
Cotton Robe-   Speed -0
Kenpo Gi-           Speed -0
Iron Armor-   Speed -2
Silk Robe-           Speed -0
Mythril Vest-   Speed -0
Ninja Gear-   Speed +1
White Dress-   Speed -1
Mythril Mail-   Speed -1
Gaia Gear-   Speed -1
Mirage Vest-   Speed -0
Golden Armor-   Speed -3
Power Sash-   Speed -0
Luminous Robe-   Speed -2
Diamond Vest-   Speed -1
Red Jacket-   Speed -1
Force Armor-   Speed -6
Diamond Armor-Speed -4
Black Garb-   Speed -0
Magus Robe-   Speed -1
Crystal Mail-   Speed -5
Regal Gown-   Speed -2
Genji Armor-   Speed -5
Reed Cloak-   Speed -0
Minerva-           Speed -0
Tabby Suit-   Speed +3
Chocobo Suit-   Speed +2
Moogle Suit-   Speed -1
Nutkin Suit-   Speed +1
Behemoth Suit-   Speed -3
Snow Scarf-   Speed -2

Silver Specs-   Speed -0
Star Pendant-   Speed -0
Peace Ring-   Speed -0
Amulet-      Speed -0
White Cape-   Speed -0
Jewel Ring-   Speed -0
Fairy Ring-   Speed -0
Barrier Ring-   Speed -0
Mythril Glove-   Speed -1
Protect Ring-   Speed -0
Hermes Shoes-   Speed +1
Reflect Ring-   Speed -0
Angel Wings-   Speed +7
Angel Ring-   Speed -0
Knights Code-   Speed -1
Dragoon Boots-   Speed -2
Zephyr Cape-   Speed -0
Princess Ring-   Speed -0
Cursed Ring-   Speed -2
Earrings-           Speed -0
Gigas Armlet-   Speed -1
Blizzard Orb-   Speed -1
Rage Ring-   Speed -0
Thief's Bracer-   Speed +2
Pod Bracelet-   Speed -3
Hero's Ring-   Speed -0
Ribbon-      Speed -0
Muscle Belt-   Speed -1
Crystal Orb-   Speed -1
Gold Hairpin-   Speed -0
Celestriad-   Speed -0
Brigand Glove-   Speed +1
Gauntlet-           Speed -2
Genji Glove-   Speed -2
Hyper Wrist-   Speed -1
Master Scroll-   Speed -3
Prayer Beads-   Speed -0
Black Belt-           Speed -0
Heiji Jitte-   Speed -0
Fake Mustasche-Speed -0
Thamasa Soul-   Speed -3
Dragon Horn-   Speed -3
Merit Award-   Speed -1
Memento Ring-   Speed -0
Safety Bit-    Speed -1
Lich Ring-           Speed -0
Mog's Amulet-   Speed -0
Charm Bangle-   Speed -0
Miracle Shoes-   Speed -1
Alarm Earring-   Speed -0
Gale Hairpin-   Speed +1
Sniper Sight-   Speed -0
EXP Egg-           Speed +1
Tintinabulum-   Speed -0
Rubber Boots-   Speed -1

-The Voidtreaders Eleven-
Let loose from the Void upon Kefka's usurping of the Gestahlian Throne and the destruction of the world, the Voidtreaders are powerful creatures from other worlds, capable of destroying the party with ease. These act as new Superbosses, and are references to the other Final Fantasies from 1-12. Each boss has a gimmick in battle, and only by finding that gimmick- and weakness- can you hope to defeat them. Good luck!
Final Fantasy- WarMECH
Final Fantasy II- Beelzebub
Final Fantasy III- Ahriman
Final Fantasy IV- Dark Elf
Final Fantasy V- Shinryu
Final Fantasy VII- Dark Nation
Final Fantasy VIII- Tiamat
Final Fantasy IX- SoulCage
Final Fantasy X- Chocobo Eater
Final Fantasy XI- Dark Rider
Final Fantasy XII- Yiazmat

By defeating these baddies, you can win the Eight Legendary Weapons. They're weapons, they're legendary, and there are even eight of them! The four bosses that don't drop Eight Legendary Weapons will drop very good items as well, so be sure to face them all!

The Eight Legendary Weapons have amazing innate abilities... at the cost of 1 Battle Power and a negative status condition. That being said, each one is fitted for a character, and geared towards that character's strengths. So even if they're not good to use, they have other uses!

Eye Drops   ->SaveTheQueenRandomly Covers.
Celes                  25% Evasion
                  Stamina +7
                  HP +25%
                  Auto-Slow

Soft   ->   Apocalypse      Raises Magic damage.
Terra               Magic Power +7
                  Raises MP by 12.5%
                  Summons Ragnarok on hit.
                  Auto-Blind

Holy Water->   Godhand      Raises Fight damage.
Sabin               Vigor +50%
                  Has more than 1 Battle Power.
                  Stamina +7
                  Auto-Silence

Green Cherry->   Zwill Blade      Replaces Steal with Mug.
Locke               Raises success rate of Steal.
                  Speed +7
                  30% Evasion
                  Auto-Doom

Smoke Bomb->   Final Trump       Deals random damage.
Setzer               Doubles Gil/EXP.
                  20% Evasion/Magic Evasion
                  Randomly evade attacks.
                  Auto-Silence, Auto-Blind

Superball   ->   Scorpiontail   Raises MP by 50%.
Strago               Magic Power +4
                  Doublecast
                  Silenceproof
                  Auto-Slow

Antidote   ->   Longinus      Replace Attack with Jump.
Edgar               Double Jump
                  Vigor +4
                  Stamina +4
                  Auto-Silence

Echo Herbs   ->   Zanmato   Randomly counters.
Cyan                  Vigor +7
                  Raises Fight damage.
                  Randomly slices.
                  Auto-Silence

Yes, you saw right. Certain items are to be replaced. This means Remedies will take the place of regular status curing items, meaning that status protection is all the more important now! With any luck, I'll be able to make all the changes to shops and treasure chests to reflect this.

-The Low Level Challenge!-
Think you're man enough to beat Hardtype... at a low level? Well, I'm going to build in a low level challenge for people. Bosses in the next version will give 0 EXP, and there'll be an item won from Ultros 1 that prevents random encounters. So you can just hop from boss to boss and try to beat them using strategy (and luck) alone. Impossible? Probably. Will someone try it? Probably.

EDIT: It's G O Dhand for Sabin. Sorry about the alignment being out of whack. It's what I get for pasting from Notepad.

beawulfx

Looking good man, the changes are certainly more pronounced. Again I feel some people may not like that, but as someone who has played through VI enough I am excited to play something that will feel similar and yet very unique as well. Cannot wait to give it a whirl, and always excited to see an update :)

Dokurider

Wow, you really are revamping VI. I should resume playing VI again so I can play this.

Say why don't you add a boss from FFT? As a suggestion, I think Queklain is the most recognizable boss in FFT.

Eternal

Cuchulainn is already in Hardtype. The fun is looking for him (not that he's hard to find, and he's a normal enemy). =P

The Damned

Looks like we think quite the same when it comes to abilities. *laughs at Chronos*

Seeing the work you're putting into this might encourage me enough to finally finish vanilla FF6/FFVI.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"