• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:55:12 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Valk's Projects: 2021 update (Trance) Terra, Fran, Main Vagrant Story cast +more

Started by Valkirst, May 23, 2014, 03:27:56 pm

Valkirst

September 23, 2015, 10:45:21 am #40 Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:44:21 pm by Valkirst
Thanks! :3

I started working on some other things as well. I wanted to do Fran to go with the Balthier Sprite, however I was also thinking of working on Freya from Valkyrie Profile to go with the Lenneth sprite that is on the site but using a Lucavi Sprite or a monster one for funsies. Also Garr or Deis from BOF 3 came to mind doing the same. Let me know what you guys think. Mind you these are super rough. I am using the sprites from the original game and know they need work to fit FFT but have been consolidated to 16 colors.

Also, does anyone have a Template grid for the Lacavi Sprites like Conman posted for the Human template? That would be incredibly useful.

• Modding version: PSX
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

Jumza

Ooh those are cool. The top one has a simple design which is good for the lucavi sprites, but the bottom one has quite a bit going on (which can make sprites look kinda icky in game, so I prefer the Deis one from my first glance). We need more lucavi sprites around for sure, and because there hasn't been a custom lucavi sprite completed (ever?)  I'm not sure anyone has a template for it.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

CONMAN

I believe the Lucavi template only has a couple of differences from the monster template.  Lucavi don't have a death poseperhaps there is another change, but I can't remember at the moment.  I believe they have a second charge pose in place of the dead blocks

Lijj

Hey Valkirst; about those heels.. it's a little inconsistent upon closer examination (was on tablet yesterday). See inside for what i mean:

The boots lack heels on the dead frames and a lot of the frames have red heels instead of brown like they do on the walking frames

Also Here's something to help with those monster sheets; an updated frame guide:

Valkirst

Thanks guys! These will really help. :) I'll work on Terra tonight, I want her to be finished soon, I knew I forgot some things here or there.

Update!: So I removed the other ones and am reposting them here. I fixed the boots along with the back facing walking animations which I noticed the hands and feet needed a bit of work on.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Forgive the Double post, i just wanted to seperate the Proto Deis I am working on.

So I have a few questions.

Which version looks better?
a)The top one that combines the purple/blue in the armor?
b)The middle one with a more matte look with only purple on the armor?
or
c)The Action one that incomporates a bit more lighting effects with the blue/purple armor?

Also, I am just tossing out ideas so I have them concrete. Maybe some Suikoden Sprites in the future.
I personally loved Suikoden 3 and the designs of 5 were phenomenal.
Completed Sprites

Jumza

I'd say Matte purple. It looks like the blue is shared with the hair, which may have been done due to colour restrictions from wherever you're taking this from, even though FFT has it's own colour restrictions they don't seem to be as strict, so I like the purple with purple shading instead of purple / blue.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

We already have a Deis sprite

Also, if you are going to just try to shrink Garr down like that to make him fit, don't. You'll ruin the quality, I know specifically that Garr does not fix on a MON sheet. He would have to be redrawn from scratch.

CONMAN

QuoteWe already have a Deis sprite   

I have to say I've never been a big fan of it....  I've always thought that it would be nice if someone fused the current Deis with the Lamia on a human sprite sheet. 

Valkirst

Thanks Jumza, I will definitely work on that, what was my favorite thus far as well.
I actually thought about that Conman, but since I thought of doing that with Garr I figured, WHAT THE HECK!

Anywho, here is a slightly better Garr Demo I managed to fit him and redid a lot of the sprite work I was thinking of maybe sacrificing the green to make room for more colors, any advice would be welcomed! The Skin tones are FFT Compatible and I know the rest are not. I'll work on Deis throughout the weekend most of her colors are FFT compatible just need to work on the shading and what have you.

Sill looking for more Crtique on Terra.
Completed Sprites

3lric

I can't say the Garr looks very good :/ He doesn't even really have eyes anymore.

You are trying to take a 32 color sprite and reduce that original sprite to 16 colors... It doesn't work that way. Which is why I said he would need to be pretty much made from scratch. I already did a 16 color MON sprite of Garr years ago and it looked horrible. There is no way to reduce him to 16 colors without doing the amount of work as making him new, unfortunately. Also consider the fact that most of his frames don't even correctly FIT into a MON or RUKA Sheet.

Deis may look okay if you fix the palette a bit, but right now, some of the colors seem a bit off. I did a bunch of these several years ago, maybe they will help in some way

I have nothing to say about Terra.

Valkirst

Thanks Elric, those will help. I know the colors are off and by no means are those finalized frames. Didnt take me very long to whip them up. Also I never intended to just shrink them and not modify them. I actually just lost 2 days worth of work on Deis lol because I forgot to save and my laptop shut down. Anywho, I am getting rid of Garr's necklace because reasons and finding out how to make the Green and blue work using color tricks so that they play off each other and get access to a few more colors... maybe Ill make his clothing red or something. i dunno! Anyway, Deis is my main concern right now; especially since I lost so much work :/ Then maybe I'll go to Freya or Fran. I had tried to make a floating Freya using the regular human template but for obvious reasons it didn't work... so she's be relegated to a monster sprite to keep her floating. She will be human sized though. 

And here is something I was working on awhile ago and forgot, Sydney Lasstarot. I think i took the Skirt from Cheetah?? But I worked on the rest all by my self. Is there a Sydney out there already?

UPDATE: Or a Black Pearl? I used Zozma's Beatrix as a template for this one. I know I know, needs work. These are mostly teasers. :)
Completed Sprites

Lijj

Hmm.. if I had to pick one I'd say finish Sydney 1st.
Great job fixing Terra's boots. I ran throughthe frames and it looks pretty good no big mistakes.. there could be a tiny bit of cleaning on a few frames but it's nothing overt. Do you use shi shi R4? it's a great version for perfecting sprite frames cause it has instant refresh after saving the BMP here's a link just incase:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=5084.0 (great for touching up arm frames).

Valkirst

Thank you Lijj, I just went over all of the sprites and corrected a lot of tiny mistakes... I think she may be done, but I don't know hahaha! She probably needs some in game testing, if anyone wants to use her she is practically finished, if there are any issues please let me know so I can correct them. I am going to post her on page 1 so that People can find her easily.

Also, I'm going to be MIA for a couple of months but these sprites aren't abandoned.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

I made a version of Garr mixing both the Garr from the game to the one represented in the artwork. Using my Android phone lol.
Completed Sprites

theultrawolf

The colors look much better than the last one, but the face still looks a tiny bit flat, for starters.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Valkirst

Yeah lol, I'm trying to work in it using my phone solely. It's interesting, because it's providing a different challenge of perspective. I knew the face has been looking flat but it's hard to get an accurate read. Main reason I put it on here is to get new eyes on this. But at least now there is a working prototype.
Completed Sprites

Lockeadon

great work, looks much closer to the original. how's deis coming along?

Valkirst

Unfortunately I haven't had time really to work on much. I've been so busy with life, girlfriend and work that I'm completely swamped right now. I wish there was good phone pixel art software out there for the android but I just haven't been able to find out. I made that Garr sprite because it was singular, making all the animations for it on a phone just doesn't seem feasible.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Double post!  Okay but there is a reason, so since I've been unable to work on my sprites using a computer, I decided to keep my skills somewhat sharp. Here is the main cast of Lufia 2. Not gonna lie, Guy and Artea took about thirty minutes, whereas Maxim And Selan I spent a considerable more amount of time on.

For Maxim I used Kage, Jimmy and Twinees - Héctor.
For Selan I used Zozma's - Ignis
For Guy I used Twinees - Dart
For Artea I used Zozma's - Thief Teta
Completed Sprites