• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:58:05 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Patched Game Crashing

Started by gijo, October 27, 2013, 11:45:33 pm

gijo

I patched my FFT: WotL for the PSP and whenever a character turns into a crystal the game crashes and the PSP shuts off (If they change into a chest its fine).  For my patch I changed some skill sets around, added a few custom sprites, and added some custom weapons (but I didn't change the weapon graphics). Has anyone else run into this issue of have any advice on what to check?

Eternal

You need to use Tactext to change the Crystalization text to something else. That'll fix the bug.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

gijo

Quote from: Eternal on October 28, 2013, 12:05:49 am
You need to use Tactext to change the Crystalization text to something else. That'll fix the bug.

I changed the text and when I clicked "Patch ISO"  it ran through and came up with the following message:
"DTE for OPEN.LZW failed.
The ISO has NOT been modified."

3lric

Save the tactext file instead of patching.

Open up tactext again, and this time load the patch file you made instead of the iso.

Now choose to patch that to the iso.

I have had this issue in the past as well as many other people, however, this method seems to
fix the issue.
  • Modding version: PSX

gijo

Quote from: Elric on October 28, 2013, 06:59:06 pm
Save the tactext file instead of patching.

Open up tactext again, and this time load the patch file you made instead of the iso.

Now choose to patch that to the iso.

I have had this issue in the past as well as many other people, however, this method seems to
fix the issue.

I tried it that way but still didn't work.  I even created a brand new ISO from the disk and tried to modify the text without changing anything else but still got the OPEN.LZW failure.

I tried to delete the Japanese characters from the OPEN.LZW file because I saw that in another topic but that just gives me another error ("Object reference not set to the instance of an object").

I am using the tactext from FFTPatcher version 457 because that is supposedly the best one for WotL.

But it looks like I will just have to live with the glitch for now.  If tactext decides to work again I will try out some more stuff to get it completely working.  Thanks for the help though.

Celdia

I never worked with WotL at all, but one time when I got the OPEN.LZW error the only fix I managed was to create a new .ffttactext file from a clean ISO, open it up in Notepad and find the OPEN.LZW section [you should just be able to search for that to find it] and I copied out the clean version of that section of the file and pasted it into my modified file over the OPEN.LZW section there and saved it. Next time I opened it in Tactext it worked just fine and continued to do so as long as I remembered to save before trying to patch. If you're out of other options it couldn't hurt to give it a try, just make sure to make a backup before you fuck with it.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

gijo

Thanks Celdia, that did work and I was able to patch the text.  Unfortunately I changed the crystal text and the game still crashes when a unit turns to crystal.

gijo

I had to go through a little bit more editing in notepad but I tried it again and it works.  The game doesn't freeze on crystals anymore.  Thank you everyone.