• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:54:09 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Monsters treasure chests (Now: Customizable monsters drops!!!)

Started by Kaedre, October 02, 2013, 05:11:54 pm

Kaedre

I know how to edit war trophies and poaching stuffs in FFTPatcher. But when you kill a monster in battle and it becomes a treasure chest, the drops seem to be random.

Is it possible to edit this so each type of monster can have its own loot?

Xifanie

No, it would require an ASM hack, but you can give any unit a War Trophy in the ENTD section.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kaedre

Ok. It is not the same, but i guess that is enough.
Thanks.

Atma

Would be great to be able to edit what enemies leave behind in chests. 
Is there any research done on which monsters drop what items?  As for humans, I assume they drop a piece of their equipment unless they're unequiped or had it all broken/stolen.  Then, does the games choose from the same items that monsters would drop?
Is it perhaps possible to change which items it chooses from?  That seems fairly doable with asm, as for a specific item for each unit seems tougher if not impossible.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Kaedre

Quote from: Atma on October 03, 2013, 12:53:30 pmAs for humans, I assume they drop a piece of their equipment unless they're unequiped or had it all broken/stolen.  Then, does the games choose from the same items that monsters would drop?

Very good question. I tested it with a crystal-immune squire without equipment.
The treasure chests seems to be the same random crap that monsters drops. (Antidote, Ether, Eye Drop, etc.).
So, i assume that it is the same routine for both humans and monsters. (Separate offsets for equal results don't have any sense, do they?)

My conclusion is: An ASM that allows to edit this drops to an unique value for all units doesn't seems to has use. Because, wich type of common item could drop both humans and monsters that have a right conceptual sense?
(Maybe i am short of imagination...)

So, the unique useful ASM for this (to my mind) is one that gives specifics item for specifics units, or differents drops for humans and monsters. But maybe you are right, this seems to be imposible.

Anyways, the war trophies option is not so bad afterall. I am conform with it.

Atma

Actually, the idea of humans and monsters only dropping 1 item is kind of cool.  Like spirit energy or something that is required for a necro or some jobs' abilities or skillet.  Kind of like draw out, but either only 1 ability or multiple abilities all using that single item as a power source. 

Kaedre

October 04, 2013, 07:37:01 pm #6 Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:55:40 pm by Kaedre
You are right!  d(^_^)

Something like a "soul stone" thing (in concept).
You can create an item using a katana slot and then use a skill ("release spirit" or something like that) with a formula that gives 100% chance to break the item. So you can cast one spell per soul captured.
Very cool indeed for a Necromancer or other "dark" classes.

The only problem is that each skill of the draw out skillset refers to a diferent harcoded katana slot. So, with an unique item like this, you can create only one skill. Not an entire skillset.

Atma

Yes and no.  You could use the Geomancer's skillset and either make all the abilities the same, or if there were a way to make all the terrains the same (or remove the terrain check) then it would be a simple 1 slot ability.  You wouldn't be able to see your stock, tho.  I'd assume if you ran out of stock the ability would grey out.
I've been wanting to do this for a General Leo type character with Shock! or maybe a Pray type skill for a while.  I realized I'd either have to learn all the skills in the Geomancer skillset (which works fine, but seems kind of silly) or I'd have to be able to edit the terrain to make it all 1 type. 

Kaedre

I am not sure about understand all what you said.
This part seems to be clear:
QuoteI realized I'd either have to learn all the skills in the Geomancer skillset (which works fine, but seems kind of silly) or I'd have to be able to edit the terrain to make it all 1 type. 

Using FFTPatcher you can change geomancer skills to "Jp cost = 0" and "Chance to learn = 100 %". So they count like "innates" for the elemental skillset.

About the rest, i am not so sure, so i have to ask:
1- Do you want to create an skillset with an unique ability? If that is the case, there is no problem.
Using FFTPatcher:Choose a regular skillset, put that single skill in it (removing all the others) and then set the chosen skillset from "Default" to "Katana Inventory" in Action Menus tab.
When you use this configuration in battle, the skillset only displays one skill (of course), and when you select that skill, only displays one katana type (your "power source item")

2- If you want something diferent, please extend the explanation.

Atma

I understand both methods.  We're a touch off topic, but whatever...  These are more just ideas than plans so no need to try and solve this.  I would love to edit the geomancer's terrain dependency, but that's either a very tedious method using Ganesha(possibly) or asm to change the abilities.

Kaedre

Never tested it. But as far as i know, geomancer skills are full editable via FFTpatcher.
Except the terrain dependences, that can be changed with Raven's "Status, Terrain and Multiplier Workbook Compilation"

I have some ideas about this, but it's not the place for that. Like you said, we are off topic.
If you are interesed in open a new thread for geomancer skills concepts, i can contribute with pleasure.

Atma

I've been successful editing and getting results with geomancer, but I'll definitely check his workbook. 
On topic... I was thinking you could edit the items it chooses from (not sure what problems it may cause) but I don't think you could move the Item abilities anywhere for it to work as it should for chemist.  Unless you wouldn't mind make skills that don't require stock to use.  I was thinking just adding a CT to skills that mimic items so as to imitate time required to mix or create the item.  This is of course an odd work around that probably won't get us what we want, but if no one can figure it out through asm, might be better than nothing.

Kaedre

I think that i was wrong all the time. (O_O)
Do you want an skillset with abilities that requires both consumable items and terrain dependences, don't you?
If this is possible, requires an ASM.

See the Action Menus tab in FFTPatcher:
When you select an skillset, this can be changed to "Katana inventory" or "Item inventory" or "Elements" (this last runs the check for terrain type) but not two of them at a time.

Atma

Nope.  Didn't want to combine the ideas.  I only mentioned the consumables as an idea pertaining to monsters and humans dropping a single item. 
My idea regarding Elements I'm already aware of how to do, but I'm gonna use Raven's workbook to improve it now that you mentioned it.  It's exactly what i needed.  Thanks for that! ^.^

So, thought I'd try to advance this topic a touch... I was looking at the items in FFTPatcher and noticed the Enemy Level field.  I was wondering if you could increase the level to make an item less likely to drop, or at least be dropped by higher level enemies.  You can enter a number higher than 99 which makes me wonder if you go above 99 if it would never show up, which could let u take it out of the possible items to drop.
Now, I was also thinking of changing the item type of others to None since those seem to be what enemies drop.  However, I'm not sure if you were to change something like a shield to item type=None if it could still be equipped as a shield or if it would be a useless item.
Of course supposing these ideas actually work, it still doesn't let you choose which enemies drop what.

Kaedre

October 09, 2013, 11:04:24 pm #14 Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:19:12 pm by Kaedre
THE BAD: Both ideas sounds well thought out. But...

I think the second one can mess the things like you said. If you flag an item like "none", it becomes non equippable. (There isn't a flag for equip "none" in the job tab)
Also, a shield (for example) set "none" type have the icon of chemist items in the item list.

About the first idea, i tested it, but the "item level" (changed to maximum possible) don't seems to affect these drops. Monsters still giving chemist crap.

THE GOOD: Anyways, all this don't matters, because i solved it!!!

Is well known that, the treasure chest obtained from a human unit, always contains one of its equipped items. But...
I tested that if a human is "naked", the treasure given is the same random crap than monsters drop.
So, if the item priority for treasure chests is "equipped item" above "random crap", maybe a monster with something equipped would drop that item instead of trash.

To resolve this, i resorted to an old trick of mine. I "force" an item (Katana) in the accessory slot of a goblin, using the ENTD section of FFTPatcher. For humans units it works like normal equips, but for monsters, the item doesn't displays in their inventories. The goblin seems like a naked unit.
The wonderful about this is: when i beat down that "apparently naked" goblin, it drops the katana!
I tested it enough to be sure, and always worked like a charm!

So, praise me! Customizable monsters drops for you all!

P.S: THANK YOU ATMA, with your continual contribution to this thread, we formed a kinda brainstorm, and we managed to get the answer at last!
I almost give up this, but you push me to the victory!

Atma

INTERESTING. 
Seemingly simple solution, didn't think it was possible, tho.  I'm assuming with all the slots for equipping items you could put multiple items and have the drop be from those you chose.  So, if you wanted a normal and rare drop you could say use 3 slots to equip a Hat and 1 slot for some accessory.  It would theoretically give you 75% for normal and a 25% for rare.
Glad you found a solution.  I pretty much thought this wouldn't be doable without asm.  Random chat and brainstorming ftw.  Nice find!   :D

Kaedre

Quote from: Atma on October 10, 2013, 01:37:42 am
Glad you found a solution.  I pretty much thought this wouldn't be doable without asm.  Random chat and brainstorming ftw.  Nice find!   :D

You give me the clue when mentioned what happens with naked humans drops:
Quote from: Atma on October 03, 2013, 12:53:30 pm
As for humans, I assume they drop a piece of their equipment unless they're unequiped or had it all broken/stolen.  Then, does the games choose from the same items that monsters would drop?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Atma on October 10, 2013, 01:37:42 am
  I'm assuming with all the slots for equipping items you could put multiple items and have the drop be from those you chose.  So, if you wanted a normal and rare drop you could say use 3 slots to equip a Hat and 1 slot for some accessory.  It would theoretically give you 75% for normal and a 25% for rare.

You are fast, but i already thought in that. Have to investigate:
1- Equipped items with + Hp, Pa, Sp, etc. on monsters, raise their stats?
2- Putting a weapon in weapon slot, conflicts with the monster attack somehow?
3- Can have vanilla a harcoded chance for equippment drops? Something like high chance of droping helmet/armors and low chance for weapons/accessories.

Already tested: if you invite a monster with an equipped item, that item doesn't appears in your inventory after the battle. (Perfect for my purposes)

Atma

Guess that would mean if a monster from your team (either from breeding or invited) would revert back to dropping the usual items.  So any changes done with this method only works during the fight you initially encounter them.
Edit:
On the plus side, it would prevent abusing monster breeding for getting rare drops. 

Pride

Quote from: Kaedre on October 10, 2013, 07:33:03 am
You are fast, but i already thought in that. Have to investigate:
1- Equipped items with + Hp, Pa, Sp, etc. on monsters, raise their stats?
2- Putting a weapon in weapon slot, conflicts with the monster attack somehow?
3- Can have vanilla a harcoded chance for equippment drops? Something like high chance of droping helmet/armors and low chance for weapons/accessories.

Already tested: if you invite a monster with an equipped item, that item doesn't appears in your inventory after the battle. (Perfect for my purposes)

1. No
2. No
3. All slots have the same drop rate, it'll randomly choose the equipment.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Kaedre

Pride:
Thanks for the input. You save me the testing work. (^_^)

Atma:
Quote from: Atma on October 10, 2013, 12:42:49 pm
Guess that would mean if a monster from your team (either from breeding or invited) would revert back to dropping the usual items.  So any changes done with this method only works during the fight you initially encounter them.
Edit:
On the plus side, it would prevent abusing monster breeding for getting rare drops. 

For sure you are right. Its simply perfect!

Now that we have this resolved, you can choose between FFXII drop style (75% chance for normal items and 25% for rares) or your original idea of "spirit energy"
There are 16 monster types in vanilla, and also 16 katana slots for items/skills. So convenient!
We can assign a diferent "soul gem" for each type of monster, and a different skill for each of that gems.

(It remembers to me the Eres stones from Tales of Legendia...)

P.S: In my case, i choose your idea. Is far more cool and, for the other side, never like me the concept around dragons, chocobos, etc. droping armors/knight swords and others human belongins. Have no sense to me.

(I guess that a dragon can eat an entire knight, and maybe can preserve his armor inside of its stomach, droping it after death. But it sounds a bit fetched, don't you think?)