• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Map Editor: Ganesha 0.60 Released

Started by gomtuu, March 12, 2009, 01:40:11 pm

Vanya

Sweet! ^_^
Doesn't it feel great to move your version number up one decimal place?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

SentinalBlade

i got that for a minute too

Make sure you have a folder set aside with all map files in it, if you missing a peice of one of the maps, you won't load all of them

Jumza

you mean all gns files or all inside the maps folder (thats inside an fft iso)
IM SO EAGER TO USE THIS SOMEONE HELP ME FAST!!!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

gomtuu

Quote from: "Jumza"you mean all gns files or all inside the maps folder (thats inside an fft iso)
IM SO EAGER TO USE THIS SOMEONE HELP ME FAST!!!

Yes, copy the whole MAP folder from the CD onto your hard drive. GNS files are basically just indexes of all the data files for a particular map, so a GNS file alone isn't enough.

gomtuu

Quote from: "Cheetah"Updates for Cheetah on his Mac running through Parallels.
1) I can't stop the map from spinning because I don't have a clickable mouse wheel... So an alternative way of stopping the map from spinning would be awesome, because right now I can't really edit easily.
Get a real mouse!  :)

Cheetah

So the only limitations I'm seeing right now are that texture coordinates for a polygon can't be edited. I'm sure you will have that done soon. But then a major next step would actually being able to add or subtract actual polygons right? I will have to try out editing textures sometime soon to see how doable it is with your current method.
Current Projects:

gomtuu

Quote from: "Cheetah"So the only limitations I'm seeing right now are that texture coordinates for a polygon can't be edited.
Texture coordinates are already editable. They're the U and V values (plus Tex. Page) in the polygon edit window. The interface could be better, though. Ideally, I'd like Ganesha to show the texture and draw UV polygons on it (like map2gl does). Maybe even let you click the UV polygons and drag them around...

Quote from: "Cheetah"But then a major next step would actually being able to add or subtract actual polygons right?
Yeah, that's one of the next steps. It shouldn't be all that hard, really.

Quote from: "Cheetah"I will have to try out editing textures sometime soon to see how doable it is with your current method.
It's workable, but not great. The main limitation right now is that you can't see what you're doing while you're editing palettes because Ganesha still displays the texture in grayscale. That's another thing I'm going to have to work on.

Cheetah

Oh I see. You don't have to define the dimensions, just where they start, smart. I knew that you likely included it and that I was just being blind. Click and drag for texture selection would be wicked sick though.

Not hard to delete and add polygons?! Excellent. I suppose you have all the code figured out, just adding an interface may be a bit difficult.

Once everything is in color it will likely be much easier to find a new way to approach this problem. At least for now it would be nice to at least choose a palette to export the texture as, because I can't actually think of a situation where I would edit the gray scale version. This is such amazing progress and I'm really looking forward to what comes next. So great to have you back Gomtuu. Seems like you are very close to having a fully complete tool.

Bug List (just what I'm find so far):
1) When saving textures PNG's it says "open" instead of "save" (I know, lame excuse of a glitch)
2) Is there a way to see the deep dungeon maps?
3) I am getting crashes on the last 5 maps.
Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

Holyshit!!! Great job, gomtuu. Great job. I'm able to make a slope from terrain but not polygons. Have to slowly learn this. ^^

EDIT: How to import the maps into game? Is it by importing every files of a map, example all map001 files?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

gomtuu

February 11, 2010, 11:49:52 am #89 Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:48:14 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Cheetah"You don't have to define the dimensions, just where they start
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Quote from: "Cheetah"1) When saving textures PNG's it says "open" instead of "save" (I know, lame excuse of a glitch)
I had noticed this, but I didn't think I had any control over it. As it turns out, I do. Fixed!

Quote from: "Cheetah"2) Is there a way to see the deep dungeon maps?
For now, you just have to turn up the ambient light with the light editor. I should probably add a mode that shows the map with 100% ambient light without actually changing the light data, though.

Quote from: "Cheetah"3) I am getting crashes on the last 5 maps.
Hmm, me too. I hadn't tried opening those in Ganesha before. Apparently they're missing the polygon visibility angles chunk. I'll fix this.

Quote from: "jimmyjw88"How to import the maps into game? Is it by importing every files of a map, example all map001 files?
You'll need to import all the files you changed, yes. When you press S (or s) to save a map in Ganesha, the console window will say something like:

Writing MAP001.8
Writing MAP001.9
So just import all the files listed there. All the files you're currently working on will show up here even if you didn't make changes to them, but at least this narrows it down to a handful of files instead of a few dozen. Also, for example, if you noticed that Ganesha said this when you loaded a map:

tex C:\Users\don\Downloads\fft\MAP\MAP001.8And you know you didn't edit the texture image, then don't bother importing MAP001.8. (Even if you edited the palettes, which are not stored in the same file as the texture image itself.)

For anybody who doesn't already know, you can use a program like CDmage to import the files back into the ISO.

Cheetah

Quote from: "gomtuu"
Quote from: "Cheetah"You don't have to define the dimensions, just where they start
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Oh, I meant for assigning the textures. I was thinking you needed to assign a location and then dimensions for the texture for the polygon. But apparently you were smart and made it so you just needed to input the offset.

All those other quick changes should be very good. Thanks for the info on importing, I likely would have been trying to import all the related files.

Another piece of map data that isn't currently editable is the map dimensions correct?
Current Projects:

gomtuu

Quote from: "Cheetah"Oh, I meant for assigning the textures. I was thinking you needed to assign a location and then dimensions for the texture for the polygon. But apparently you were smart and made it so you just needed to input the offset.
The way textures are assigned to polygons in FFT is pretty standard: it's called UV mapping. I really didn't do anything smart, honest! :)

Quote from: "Cheetah"Another piece of map data that isn't currently editable is the map dimensions correct?
Correct. Although if you start with a large map, you can effectively make it smaller by making several rows/columns of terrain tiles "unselectable".

EDIT: By the way, I updated the instructions to include some information about the files in the MAP directory and how to save and use your modified maps.

jimmyjw88

Hmm...So meaning we only import those that are written only?
Example:
[attachment=1:1ysl1irr]Ganesha.png[/attachment:1ysl1irr]
What is the red one for? The blue one is when saving the map. So, all I need to do is import those two files (Map056.47 and .48) + Map056.Gns?

Here's what I did for testing.
[attachment=0:1ysl1irr]Ganesha1.png[/attachment:1ysl1irr]
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

gomtuu

Yes, the blue ones are the ones you want.

The numbers you marked in red are mainly there for debugging purposes, but they might be helpful to you guys, too. (I'll eventually get around to making them more user-friendly.) Each line represents a chunk of data that's being read from a file. So, for the first line:

16 is a code that means the data chunk a polygon chunk.
The filename is the file that chunk is being read from.
196 is the offset (in decimal) of the beginning of the chunk in that file.
28148 is the offset (in decimal) of the beginning of the next chunk in that file. (So 28148 - 196 is the length of the chunk)

To figure out what each code number means, multiply it by 4, then convert it to hex. You can search Google for "(16 * 4) in hexadecimal" (without quotes) as a quick way of doing this. Then look up that number (0x40) in this table:

http://www.ffhacktics.com/wiki/Maps/Mesh#Header

Which says 0x40 is the primary mesh chunk (aka polygons).

Cheetah

Nice info Gomtuu.

Is there an easy way to hide polygons? For instance there are some polygons that I don't want to use right now, but just want to kind of set them aside for later.

Also how does the animation sequence for water/lava work? Is it standard between maps or is it included in every map that has these?
Current Projects:

Kaijyuu

What's with all these decimal offsets? Eww.
  • Modding version: PSX

jimmyjw88

[attachment=0:3iyyyjgq]Map Test.png[/attachment:3iyyyjgq]
[attachment=1:3iyyyjgq]Ganesha2.png[/attachment:3iyyyjgq]
Is there a way to cover those blanks? Sorry such noob question ^^

gomtuu

Quote from: "Cheetah"Is there an easy way to hide polygons?
You can hide them from the game by checking all of the "Invisible from" checkboxes (except ?0, ?1, etc., whose purpose I don't know). They won't disappear in Ganesha because my viewer doesn't use that data yet, but the game shouldn't ever draw them if all those boxes are checked.

Quote from: "Cheetah"Also how does the animation sequence for water/lava work? Is it standard between maps or is it included in every map that has these?
That's either in the 0x6c chunk or the 0x70 chunk of the map files, or maybe some combination of the two--I don't remember. It's going to be a while before Ganesha lets you edit those. For now, I recommend starting with a map that already has the animation you want. It should still be there after you make your changes.

Quote from: "jimmyjw88"Is there a way to cover those blanks? Sorry such noob question ^^
Yes, I'm very disappointed that you guys aren't all map-editing experts by now! :P

For now, you'll either have to steal polygons from some other part of the map or just make sure the ground doesn't have sudden changes in height like that. A future version of Ganesha will allow you to add polygons, which means you'll be able to fill in the holes with new polygons.

jimmyjw88

Sorry but I'm not really into this hacking stuff ><
Haha.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Reinstalled it, same thing.  Am I missing a dll or something?