• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:13:37 am

Lucavi Question

Started by Hitman4994, February 04, 2012, 05:36:50 pm

Hitman4994

Is it possible to have a character start out in a battle normal, with the an ability or spell to change into a lucavi using the same animations the actual ones use?

RavenOfRazgriz

As a skill - the only formula that would support this is the Malboro Spores formula, but you would need a hefty bit of ASM hacking with it to get it to let you transform into more than just the tier 1 Malboro, I think.  You also need to have the sprite you're transforming into already loaded into the battle via the ENTD.  The animation part is simple enough, since you can make a skill call the Lucavi transformation animations easily.  I don't think the AI would actually use this skill, though, even if someone hacked it out for you, and you wouldn't want to give it to the player because the transformation would be permanent unless you gave the Lucavi a skill to transform back into their person.  I am not sure what would happen to known skills if you tried some insane shit like that, though.

As an event trigger - you can do this easy-as-pie, if you know how, if you want to do say, how Wiegraf transforms into Velius at 10% or less HP.  You just need to know how to edit the event and set up the ATTACK Conditionals.  Note I say "Just", but this process isn't a simple open-a-patcher-change-a-number thing, though I did make an Event Editing tool and a tutorial for editing the ATTACK.OUT Conditionals.

3lric

Quote from: Hitman4994 on February 04, 2012, 05:36:50 pm
Is it possible to have a character start out in a battle normal, with the an ability or spell to change into a lucavi using the same animations the actual ones use?

I could walk you thru how to do this event wise. If that's what you are trying to do (since that would actually require very little to do in a event. A simple wait, effect, erase, draw, unitanim 02.)

You could also use this method and go a bit further as Raven mentioned and make it an actual trigger so that it wouldn't happen until later on in the battle when that trigger is met.
(I could also show you how to do that, if you really want to)

But if you're trying to have an actual ability that makes your character transform into a Lucavi. It really don't think that's gonna be nearly as easy :P
  • Modding version: PSX

Hitman4994

Im new to modding. i've messed around with the sprite editor and event editor. and am very familliar with lion editor and fft patcher. is it possible to do it in lion editor or fft patcher?

Hitman4994

I'm looking to figure out how to do it the skill way to change into a lucavi and one to change back any ideas on where to start?

RavenOfRazgriz

Short version:

You can't do it through Lion Editor or FFTPatcher.  You can't do it with a skill unless you know how to hack in Assembly to maul the Moldball Virus formula.

Hitman4994

i have no clue what that formula is maybe ill try the event one.   is it possible to trigger an event by casting a random spell like fire or bolt?

Holy Knight Wiegraf

Hi everyone. I just read this topic. And i decided to write because i am trying to make a patch for fft, too. And i lack knowledge on how to do that as well.
I am planning to give the character a spell which allows them to transform into the lucavi.

Can you please give me a step by step explanation on how to do this for beginners?

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

May 04, 2019, 01:26:40 pm #9 Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:06:56 pm by Nyzer
You don't.

Not only is it not currently possible, but the problems with setting up something like this go beyond simply making a new spell formula. You'd have issues with the sprite limit, the character stats and EXP and JP and everything would get super fucked up during the changeover, so on and so forth. Could it be possible in the future? Maybe. But it wouldn't be anywhere near worth the effort. There's no structure in place to allow this, so you'd have to carve your own, which is amazingly difficult.
And to give you an idea of how hard it is to make FFT do something it wasn't originally designed to do, consider how inflexible the job wheel or party roster size are. How inflexible they have been for all these years. Even when someone does cobble together a way to expand them, it's flawed, buggy, and/or only works on specific emulators.

Jot5 has plot specific reasons why Dante can't use his Devil Trigger form at will, and the reason behind that is specifically because it would be too ungodly complicated to even try and give him an ability for it. And that was with a team of several of FFH's brightest stars working on it, the same people adept at finding what can be broken down and recycled into something new and wonderful.

An event to replace one specific non-player character with one other specific character during a specific battle, at a specific point of the battle, when you don't mind losing any in-battle character progression for them? Now, that's doable. You can even (temporarily) replace a player character during the battle if you don't mind losing out on all of the progress they've made during the battle (and just to cut you or anyone else off here; yes, you care. Your players would care. All it takes is one person who's 20 JP away from a new awesome skill, earning enough to get it, and then having it yanked away again).

Holy Knight Wiegraf

Thank you nyzer.

if even FFH isnt able to do that atm, then probably nobody is.

But that is good to know, because i have lots of fun doing other things in my game. Like editing the job system and more.

and if i view it from the perspective of those trying to do it in an event, i fully understand the problem. wouldnt make sense that way.