• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Sidequest Ideas (31/40)

Started by LastingDawn, July 11, 2009, 05:10:46 pm

mav

July 20, 2009, 08:23:02 pm #80 Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:56:57 pm by mav
Alrighty! Here we go:

Tournament of Champions

I was thinking Ch. 4--but if it's not right for the tone, then Ch. 3

Activation Method - Go from Bervenia Free City to Bethla Garrison

Area - Bervenia (battles will take place at the South Wall of Bethla Garrison)

Upon entering Bervenia Free City the team sees an ad that totes the annual "Tournament of Champions".  Intrigued by the immense rewards, the party intends to join the tournament.  Challengers from across Ivalice will unite at Bethla Garrison to engage in a series of battles.  The only thing lost after a battle is a bit of self-pride, but for every advancement the rewards (ranging from gil, to weaponry, to armor, etc) grow in value.  

Once the team enters Bethla Garrison they must pay 1000 gil for the tournament to begin.  The team will be briefed: losers will be teleported out of the tournament immediately and there will be virtually no recuperating time between battles.  There will be a total of ten battles (if possible).  And the enemies will range from single units against Ramza and co to five enemy units (again, if possible).  The fights increase in difficulty as the tournament progresses.

I'm hoping that you guys will allow some of your sidequest characters to make reappearances (if they're still alive) in this tournament.  And if you'd rather have your characters offer up an item after being defeated, then say so.
    1st Battle: I was thinking Lezales and his team (from the first battle in FFT). They should be the same level as Ramza and co. Reward: 2000 gil.
2nd Battle: Undecided.
3rd Battle: Undecided.
4th Battle: Gospel and party (from COP). Reward: Undecided. Submitted by Kokojo.
5th Battle: Gilgamesh (he'll be fighting on his own, and will obviously be difficult).  He'll give a short speech of some kind, and the battle will begin.  He'll be quite a few levels above Ramza and co (since he's fighting on without a team). Reward: Bartz's Crystal (if possible).
6th Battle: Tantalus (five party team. Reward: Secret Traveler's Skill (if possible). Submitted by Kagebunji.
7th battle: Forza and Magissa. Reward: Bow or Whip. Submitted by Eternal248.
8th battle: Duncan and party. Reward: Claw or Monk's Garb. Submitted by Eternal248. Approved by beawulfx.
9th Battle: Warder (15 lvls higher than the party). He'll need great secondary, support, and movement skills to make up for the fact that he's fighting on his own. Reward: 10000 gil.
10th Battle: The host of the tournament, Siegfried.  He'll definitely give some speech congratulating Ramza and co, but he'll be immensely tough.  It'll probably be another solo-battle. Reward: Undecided.
[/list]
Again, the sidequest ends if you lose any battle.  But you don't get a Game Over--in fact, if you at least win the first fight, you're guaranteed some gil.  You cannot re-enter the tournament.  Defeating Siegfried will allow the team to receive all the gil they've accumulated from the first fight (should be ten thousand, at least) as well as whatever specialty treasure would have been awarded after the fights.

If you lose any battle, the team will appear back at Bervenia and will comment on their defeat. If you win every battle, the team will not appear at Bervenia and will return to the World Map with all those great treasures in their inventory.

Eternal

July 20, 2009, 08:35:35 pm #81 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
7th battle: Forza and Magissa
8th battle: Duncan & party
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

mav

July 20, 2009, 08:40:32 pm #82 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Thanks man. I edited my post to reflect your submissions. Do you have any specific reward you want them to give?

beawulfx

July 20, 2009, 08:45:47 pm #83 Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:52:14 pm by beawulfx
Quote from: "LastingDawn"I like it, it's pretty unique, though I was thinking that if one of the two (either Cantor or Invoker) fell that the other one would also fall, (as well... what happens in FFIV). I can make War Trophies dependent on whether they survive or not. Hehe, I also like the bit of the tender moment. Also the touch of the King is nice, also would you like the Knights named Biggs and Wedge, or do you think they should have a more important part to play in another sidequest? Though I am afraid that Rumors have been turned into "Documents", important pieces of history to read, granted that a fair number of sidequests (or main quest) can be unlocked through this, don't forget that "Research" can also unlock propositions. Though that's really the only thing different, just choose a different matter to unlock the sidequest. Also I'm not too keen on Mandalia... too much occurs there already, how about... Fovoham Plains, or the Windmill Shed?

Haha, that is funny that you mentioned Biggs/Wedge! I actually had that typed out, and then deleted it cause I didn't want to 'overload' with references :)

I think the windmill shed sounds good for a battle location, Fovoham's rockiness throws me off.

I'm afraid to say I don't know the best way to 'unlock' the quest because I am not as knowledgeable as I would like on Mercenaries. Perhaps the group could bump into a Mysidian envoy while walking through... Lenalia, and he is asking for help. Then he can explain the situation and the party can head off to the shed to stop the Red Wings on his request?
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

PX_Timefordeath

July 20, 2009, 08:50:34 pm #84 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:26:29 am by PX_Timefordeath
Damn, I was going to do that again. Oh well. And please put in spoiler tags with (spoiler)

Honour Never Dies

Chapter 1-4

You need to enter the designated areas at the designated times, one in each chapter. Each one is a marathon battle, battling against each of the Princess capturing group. The battles will be hard, and require set up before you start the next battle.

Chapter 1: Enter Thieves Fort after the Windmill Shack battle. Ramza will see a  shard of Materia on the floor. As he's about to pick it up, a barrier appears around it and repels his hand. Ramza shouts, and Rad and Gaffgarion show up. Suddenly Viggs appears as an archer, and battle ensues.

Match 1: Viggs: Archer, Party Level, Innate Protect.
Match 2: Wezaleff: Archer, Party Level, Innate Shell.
Match 3: Dish: Arbalist, Party Level, Always Berserk.
Match 4: Lezales and Fukes: Lezales is a knight with regenerator, defence up, move hp+, innate protect and shell. Fukes is a Scryer with Trancer secondary, and a gun. He has innate Protect, Shell, and magic defence up.

Chapter 2: Right after the Golgorand battle, but before you move, try to enter Golgorand as if it were a town and you are going to the shop. Viggs and Wezaleff both teleport in, and another marathon battle ensues.

Match 1: Viggs: Arbalist, Party Level +2, Innate Protect
             Wezaleff: Arbalist, Party Level +2, Innate Shell
Match 2: Dish: Warder, starts off with 8 brave, Party Level +3, Innate Protect, Innate Shell
Match 3: Fukes: Engineer, Party Level +3, Teleports on top of the guillotine after Dish is defeated, has 2 guns, and scrying.
Match 4: Lezales: Dark Knight, Party Level +5, ??? Stats, Innate Defence Up, Innate Magic Defence Up, Move HP+

More to come

Eternal

July 20, 2009, 08:58:59 pm #85 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Well, for the Forza and Magissa battle, I'd like the reward to be some sort of Bow or Flail.

Note that I didn't create the idea for Duncan, so you may wish to change that.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

mav

July 20, 2009, 09:03:24 pm #86 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Quote from: "Eternal248"Well, for the Forza and Magissa battle, I'd like the reward to be some sort of Bow or Flail.
Added.

Quote from: "Eternal248"Note that I didn't create the idea for Duncan, so you may wish to change that.
Alrighty. Hey beawulfx, do you mind if Duncan and co. make an appearance in the tournament? And if so, which battle should they take place in and what reward (if any) should they give?

beawulfx

July 20, 2009, 09:04:14 pm #87 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
I would be honoured to have Duncan and crew show up in the 8th battle. Seems like a good place for them to train! I'm not well versed on the items to know of what would be a suitable reward though. I have no idea what would be too much, not enough, etc, for when the tournament takes place.

I would say some sort of Claw, or a strong piece of clothing that a Monk would benefit from would be ideal though.

You can choose/anyone can, or LD can decide since he has a better idea of item strength relative to the game's chapters and such!
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

mav

July 20, 2009, 09:06:47 pm #88 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
A claw would be pretty cool, in my opinion: the weapon represents the fight well. Many thanks for allowing us to use your character.

beawulfx

July 21, 2009, 12:09:52 am #89 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
I came up with a few more at work, I'll post them sporadically. I hope I don't overwhelm you with any poor ideas. They are all just things that popped up when I was bored!

Quest: Bumbling Banditry
Chapter 2
Activation: Walking through Zirekile falls

The party is walking through the falls and all three members are standing on the suspended bridge chatting. Just then three large bandits [Preferably Warders? They look the beefiest AFAIK] walk from one side and block the bridge from that side. The party is surprised by their sudden advance. Then a Gambler and two Arbalists appear from the other side and block that exit trapping the party on the bridge.

The Warder on one side of the bridge is the leader and speaks to the party. He demands all their gil and equipment if they wish to pass. He threatens that if the party does not relinquish their stuff he'll have his lackeys drop the bridge into the water below and they'll collect it from their corpses. The party is not afraid as they've been in many sticky situations. Rad cracks a joke saying that he thought bridge Trolls only existed in children's stories. This angers the head bandit and he orders his accomplices to drop the bridge. The two beefy Warders to his left and right try to drop the bridge (have them kneel by his sides?) but after some effort sheepishly confess 'uhh boss, da bridge aint droppin'...'. They cannot sever the supports holding the bridge effectively.

The bandits (and the party!) are understandably embarrassed by the bandits incompetence and the leader decides that they will have to claim their bounty the old fashioned way to reclaim their pride. The battle ensues and of course, our noble party emerges victorious.

Enemy Units:
3x Warder   [Two equal strength, one more powerful as the leader]
2x Arbalist
1x Gambler

Upon defeating the bandits the Leader is kneeling before the party and promises to change his line of work. He offers up some gear (or gil!) that his troupe has stolen and then runs off in shame. The party laughs at their misfortune and Gafgarion excitedly begins rummaging through the spoils.

LastingDawn

July 21, 2009, 12:15:04 am #90 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
You know, this is odd... the bridge at Zirekile actually Can fall, the game never uses this, would you like to use it? It could in fact, be soemthing of a more to make the event unique, though if you'd like to save that for another event, that's fine as well
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

beawulfx

July 21, 2009, 12:36:52 am #91 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Haha, wow that is odd! Well I wouldn't know how to implement that. My whole idea was to have the sort of tough but stupid bandits. Maybe after the battle as the bandit runs off the bridge could fall? That would be kinda funny. Like they loosened the supports enough, but just happened way too late for it to do any good. The party could look back surprised as it falls and make some sarcastic comment on the ineptitude of the bandits

One more tonight;

Quest: Gafgarion's Gaffe
Chapter 1-3?
Activition: Entering Gariland

The party walks to Gariland and the scene shows Ramza and Rad at the bar. Ramza is of course drinking his trademark milk, and Rad, clearly intoxicated, is arguing with another bar patron over whose Mercenary group is superior [or whatever, I couldn't think of anything good to have them talking about... any ideas from anyone appreciated]. After the discussion he walks over to Ramza and asks him where Gafgarion has gotten to. Ramza replies that he saw him chatting with three females before they all headed out of the bar smiling.

Rad laughs and exclaims that Gafgarion is in for a fun night. Ramza replies 'if that's your idea of fun...'. Rad asks if Ramza will ever loosen up [in a joking friendly way]. The pair then decide to call it a night and head outside [cutting to the location of the first battle in Vanilla at Gariland]. As they walk through the city a Frog bounds in from the corner and shouts for help. Rad and Ramza stop in their tracks and Rad laughs, claiming he must have had too much to drink because he swore that Frog just spoke. Ramza assures him that it's not the alcohol and then the Frog yells 'Rad! Ramza! Help me you buffoons! It's ME!'.

At this moment three seductive women appear from behind the Frog. #1 yells 'Where did he go?!' #2 shouts 'There he is!' and the third, realizing he has found his friends assures her mates that they will have more boys to play with than they thought.

The battle then ensues. The Seductive women should be able to cause a lot of statuses and be primarily magic based IMO. Rad and Ramza will have to fight alongside the Frogged Gafgarion in order to save him from the Sirens.

Enemy Units
3x Siren [Maybe the 'Lust' sprite and the two assassins for the females? Something that should be 'seductive']

After the battle the Sirens are injured and ask Rad/Ramza to spare them in exchange for a reward and of course, changing their ally back to his human form. Rad wants to finish them off but Gafgarion jumps in to stop him yelling about he would prefer not to spend his life crawling through the mud. Rad apologizes and Ramza accepts their proposal. They change Gafgarion back and they hand the party their reward [not sure what fits really, I need to get better acquainted with the equipment options!] before they rush off to terrorize the next gullible man they can seduce.

Rad chides Gafgarion on his affinity and weakness to beautiful women and how he always told Gafgarion it would get him in trouble. Ramza laughs along with Rad and Gafgarion is humbled/embarrassed and can't muster up much of a reply. The group decide to put the event behind them and let Gafgarion live this one down.

PX_Timefordeath

July 21, 2009, 12:46:57 am #92 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
They seduce. Hence, succubus. Also, so much thievery going on in this game. Does the team get robbed in almost every stop they go to?

beawulfx

July 21, 2009, 12:49:06 am #93 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Well I was going for the idea of the Sirens from Greek mythology. Typically a trio of three women that I believe are affiliated with turning people into animals, hence turning Gaff into the Frog. Succubus is pretty identical though, I wouldn't be too concerned either way really.

Also I imagine that most days they are just fine, however those vast majority of days don't make it into the game as side quests cause they are no fun! I imagine a small band of travelling mercenaries who probably have some lucrative spoils are a prime target for robbery though.

SilvasRuin

July 21, 2009, 12:56:10 am #94 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Pretty simple idea.Don't have an idea of when or where it would occur.  You would be a better judge of that.

Quest: Turkey Season

The party comes across a Monk named Rude and a Traveler (or whatever would fit him better) named Reno under siege by three ruffians and optionally a black/gray dragon while they attempt to protect a weak Reliquian named Rufus.  Aware of how out powered they are, they request assistance and promise a reward.  There is no reward for refusing.

Reno and Rude should be a little weaker than the party.  Rufus should be very weak.  The goal is to protect Rufus.

You might have already guessed the names of the three attackers.  A Monk named Loz, an Arbalest named Yazoo, and a Knight (unless I've overlooked a more speed oriented swordsman in your job list) named Kadaj.  The Dragon should be named TREMOR and have a renamed and powered-up non-element fire breath called Peta Flare.  They should all be as justifiably powerful as possible to give the player a serious challenge.

For the first several turns in battle, Reno, Rude, Yazoo, and Loz should be spouting taunts at each other (currently don't have any ideas for taunts).  Allowing them to revive with 1 hp during said taunts might actually help the difficulty even out a little as Reno and Rude are likely to be the ones to go down anyways.

After the battle, assuming the player succeeds in killing off the attackers, Rufus explains they were after an "archaeologically" important artifact he found.  Whoever the most sarcastic of the party members is can take a jab at Reno's and Rude's sub-par bodyguard capabilities and Reno can fail miserably at a retort.

The reward?  I don't know.  While the Black Materia makes at least some sense in a way, it might be too much.
Yeah, I'm missing a lot of details, but it was a spur of the moment idea.  I wanted to put it out there before I forgot about it entirely.

boomkick

July 21, 2009, 01:11:33 am #95 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Chapter 1

Unbeatable

Activation- Up to you LD

Any flat map.

Event- Ramza and co. enter the "map" and encounter a knight in critical position (Kneeling). Ramza asks to help but he doesn't respond, and they all approach him. Knight glows (stone glow, not the activation). The entire team is pushed back in 3 directions also in critical position. The knight then says, "It... is... time..."

Ramza and co. are thrown into battle with this overpowered knight with ??? HP, Immortal, and skills that are also very strong (usually not usable by the player), most likely unbeatable by current situations.

When all of Ramza's team is incapacitated (if Ramza crystals it Game Overs), Ramza's supposedly lasts words would be "It... can't end... like... this..." But Blind 2 is casts, and someone else shows up.

Cloud sprite appears (but he's not Cloud). His name is random, but he says he has no real name. He teleports everyone other then him and the Knight away. He says it is not the end, there is still much much more needed to be told. So "Cloud" and the Knight have a AI duel.

He cannot be controlled, so all the player can do is watch the duel go on. The nameless soldier is the same as the Knight, except he is stronger and at level 99. He is ??? and Immortal AND has exceptional abilities. He will always win against the knight.

The Knight is destroyed by explosion, and the nameless soldier teleports away. Ramza and co. reappear on the ground. They try to ask what happened but of course they never figure it out.

An X-Potion is given for watching this event.

O and if Ramza and co. wins, an event happens where the Knight kills them anyways, and the nameless soldier appears and the AI battle continues as planned.

SilvasRuin

July 21, 2009, 01:29:50 am #96 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Um... Boomkick, what's the point of that?  Is it supposed to be continued later at some point?  It sounds like you don't mean for it to.  I would argue that unbeatable fights and uncontrollable fights should be avoided in all cases that aren't a significant part of the main story or a side story.  I can't help but feel that putting a rigged fight in just to see flashy skills, high numbers, and explosions would be detrimental to the experience of the game to some extent.  It also rips the plot a rather large red herring hole that just doesn't need to be there.  And why Cloud of all sprites?

Kokojo

July 21, 2009, 01:53:29 am #97 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Quote from: "mav"Alrighty! Here we go:

A Tournament of Champions
I was thinking Ch. 4--but if it's not right for the tone, then Ch. 3

Activation Method - Go from Bervenia Free City to Bethla Garrison

Area - Bervenia (battles will take place at the South Wall of Bethla Garrison)

Upon entering Dorter the team sees a notice that totes the annual "Tournament of Champions".  Intrigued by the immense rewards, the party intends join the tournament.  Challengers from across Ivalice will unite at Bethla Garrison to engage in a series of battles.  The only thing lost after a battle is a bit of self-pride, but for every advancement the rewards (ranging from gil, to weaponry, to armor, etc) grow in value.  

Once the team enters Bethla Garrison the tournament will begin.  The team will be briefed: losers will be teleported out of the tournament immediately and there will be virtually no recuperating time between battles.  There will be a total of ten battles (if possible).  And the enemies will range from single units against Ramza and co to five enemy units (again, if possible).  The fights increase in difficulty as the tournament progresses.

I'm hoping that you guys will allow some of your sidequest characters to make reappearances (if they're still alive) in this tournament.  And if you'd rather have your characters offer up an item after being defeated, then say so.
    1st Battle: I was thinking Lezales and his team (from the first battle in FFT). They should be the same level as Ramza and co. Reward: 2000 gil.
    2nd Battle: Undecided.
    3rd Battle: Undecided.
    4th Battle: Undecided.
    5th Battle: Gilgamesh (he'll be fighting on his own, and will obviously be difficult).  He'll give a short speech of some kind, and the battle will begin.  He'll be quite a few levels above Ramza and co (since he's fighting solo). Reward: Bartz's Crystal (if possible).
    6th Battle: Undecided.
    7th battle: Forza and Magissa. Reward: Bow or Whip.
Submitted by Eternal248.
8th battle: Duncan and party. Reward: Claw or Monk's Garb. Submitted by Eternal248. Approved by beawulfx.
9th Battle: Undecided.
10th Battle: The host of the tournament, Siegfried.  He'll definitely give some speech congratulating Ramza and co, but he'll be immensely tough.  It'll probably be another solo-battle. Reward: Undecided.
[/list]
Again, the sidequest ends if you lose any battle.  But you don't get a Game Over--in fact, if you at least win the first fight, you're guaranteed some gil.  You cannot re-enter the tournament.  Defeating Siegfried will allow the team to receive all the gil they've accumulated from the first fight (should be ten thousand at least) as well as whatever specialty treasure would have been awarded after the fights.

May you add Gospel and CO from COP there ?
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

boomkick

July 21, 2009, 03:31:07 am #98 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"
Um... Boomkick, what's the point of that?  Is it supposed to be continued later at some point?  It sounds like you don't mean for it to.  I would argue that unbeatable fights and uncontrollable fights should be avoided in all cases that aren't a significant part of the main story or a side story.  I can't help but feel that putting a rigged fight in just to see flashy skills, high numbers, and explosions would be detrimental to the experience of the game to some extent.  It also rips the plot a rather large red herring hole that just doesn't need to be there.  And why Cloud of all sprites?

cant find another fitting sprite :)

mav

July 21, 2009, 11:58:01 am #99 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:35:58 pm by mav
Quote from: "Kokojo"May you add Gospel and CO from COP there ?
With pleasure. Should it be an early fight or the sixth or ninth fight? And is there any specific treasure you'd like for them to give?

Thanks for allowing us to use these characters, by the way.